Friedman: Leafs do not see Marner making more than Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
It might be time for leafs fans to just let this thread be and let all the haters do their thing.
On sportsnet (responding to mailbag questions), the debate on there is whether marner should exceed the 9.5 number set by stone and kucherov.
Here you have a bunch of guys telling leafs fans it's going to be 11.5- 12.
Theses guys are only trying to stoke fires. Let them be and discuss in the leafs forum.

Sage advice.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
9.5 is a dumb limit to make at least go to the four first threshold for what you would match.

Anyways what are the rumours for who they trade him for if he doesn’t sign ? Subban ?

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
It might be time for leafs fans to just let this thread be and let all the haters do their thing.
On sportsnet (responding to mailbag questions), the debate on there is whether marner should exceed the 9.5 number set by stone and kucherov.
Here you have a bunch of guys telling leafs fans it's going to be 11.5- 12.
Theses guys are only trying to stoke fires. Let them be and discuss in the leafs forum.

Pre-signing what were the sportsnet predictions for Matthews? Because (I CHECKED) and here on 2 separate threads the majority of "haters" thought he would get between 10 and 11 million. The infinitely knowledgeable Leaf fans had him between 8.5 and 10.5. And all (5 or 6 IIRC) posters saying 10.5 said it would be for 8 years.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The rfa compensation for this year is said to be going up 400,000 so for the leafs to get Marner signed they are going to have to give him 10.5 or more or someone will offer sheet him for a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd in which case they would have to match it anyway. Anyone who thinks he will take less than 10.5 is dreaming, he could get 16 teams to offer sheet that for him.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
You'd have to threaten to offer sheet him for less than 10.1 or whatever the limit is for 4 1st round picks. The Leafs comfortably match that. If you threaten a 4 1st round pick offer sheet, why would we accept a trade for less than 4 1sts?
To get immediate help ?

Occam's razor.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The rfa compensation for this year is said to be going up 400,000 so for the leafs to get Marner signed they are going to have to give him 10.5 or more or someone will offer sheet him for a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd in which case they would have to match it anyway. Anyone who thinks he will take less than 10.5 is dreaming, he could get 16 teams to offer sheet that for him.
2 firsts but I agree .

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Actually it is Marner who will be putting Dubas on notice if it gets to July 1 and he still unsigned. Dubas is not scaring anyone with the weak precedent he has set for himself in negotiations. He will be the one that blinks first. Marner holds all the cards. If he does not like how things are progressing, he Ferris, and his dad Paul will weigh offer sheets if what has been reported is correct and dictate where he wants to play. Not Dubas.

As much as fans from other teams might like to think otherwise the Leaf s hold Marner's rights.
Marner can hold out and wait until the statistically superior player Rantanen signs and risk getting paid less than what is offered before July 1.
With so many great ERA players available the demand for each will be driven down.
Does anyone really believe that this will be a year when an offer sheet of a top shelf talent is successfull? ..I do not.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
As much as fans from other teams might like to think otherwise the Leaf s hold Marner's rights.
Marner can hold out and wait until the statistically superior player Rantanen signs and risk getting paid less than what is offered before July 1.
With so many great ERA players available the demand for each will be driven down.
Does anyone really believe that this will be a year when an offer sheet of a top shelf talent is successfull? ..I do not.
The aves aren’t hurting for cap I wouldn’t want to test them on paying him generiously on an eight year contract .

Allhailtheleafs

Feb 18, 2018
I wouldnt say rats is superior. Marner has improved every since he started in juniors. The best is yet to come

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
It would be considered a discount if Marner took less than Kane no?

Cap has gone up, Kane deal is a couple years old and inflation of player salaries always happens. Marner has the Leafs in a bind, he has proven to be elite and worth a big $ contract. He is younger than Kane, Kucherov and Stone who both recently signed for under 10m. Kucherov though gets a big tax break, for him to make the same $ as he does in Tampa with say the Leafs his cap hit would have to be close to 11m no?

I can see him making under 10m myself as I just think its foolish if all these youngster who have proven squat outside regular season stats can think they can all demand the league's highest salaries. The leafs would still be a playoff team without Marner and if he sat out like WN that would elevate WN to a top line role where he could potential put up #'s close to what Marner did.

At the end of the day I am not a Leaf fan so I honestly dont care what his cap hit is going forward, I hope he holds out for the big payday and it makes Toronto's future cap issues a continuing issue.

Personally though, entertain a trade offer in all reality. Get a high end D in return, sign Kapanen and Johnsson to remain in your top 6 and you also have Nylander who should have a good year next year, maybe close to PPG if there is no Marner.

Save the 11m for 1 player spend 8-10m on 2 young top 6 caliber wingers instead and try to get a good young RHD to help your D.

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
Well i disagree. Marner was one of the best players and most dynamic around the whole league last year. The kid is outstanding.

I realize alot of fans refuse to admit Marner is better cause of the whole contract thing coming up and they are nervous about the contract he will get. But he will get paid Matthews type money regardless so its ok to admit Marner is better

No, Matthews is better because he’s been a significantly better even-strength player over their first three years.

Marner’s been healthier. I’ll give him that.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Wat 10 million dollar free agent dman am I not seeing ?

Edit good lord ek
I guess , would he sign in Toronto ?

2 5 million dollar defense would be helpful. A 5 mil D and a big physical winger for Matthews would go a long way. Panarin would be a direct replacement for similar money.

Plus that's a Muzzin level rental every year for the next 4 years on top of that. Our 20-60 scouting has been strong as well. There's really no bad scenario with 4 1sts for us.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
The playoffs proved why Matthews will be the highest paid leaf, he was the best player in the series.

Marner will end up around ~10

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
So what do the Leaf fans on here consider a good deal for Marner, $9.5 million per year, if so then anything above that amount would be considered an overpayment by Dubas. If Dubas does get Marner signed for that amount then he looks like a genius to Leaf fans, and Marner as seen as taking a big discount by other teams fanbases. Either way it will be interesting to see if Marner signs before July 1st and if he isn't signed by July 1st it will be interesting to see if other team offer sheets him or he demands too much which forces Dubas to trade him. It is fun to read all of the posts of Leaf fans and non Leafs fans speculating as to what he'll get.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Fascinating take.

Mitch isnt nearly as involved in front-line negotiations as your fantasy seems to suggest. Marner is in control of his ability to price himself off the team, he doesnt control where he could be traded as a result of doing so. And it sound like, having learned from the Nylander negotiations, it might end up going that route.

If it reaches the point of offer-sheets then four 1st round picks will have to do. I dont know how many contenders have 11-12M available for a RW, I have a feeling it's not many, and if they are bottom feeders they might not want to part with four 1sts.
We can, and we will.

And we will overpay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad