Friedman: Leafs do not see Marner making more than Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Good luck with that.

Did I miss something or did Matthews sign 5x 9.2M deal? Comparable to Toews 2nd contract?

Matthews production at time of signing was around 1.0 ppg, Toews 0.84 ppg

Toews had been to the All Star game once, Matthews twice. Matthews had the Calder, Toews didn't.

At that point, Matthews deserved more.. I'm not going to say that he wasn't overpaid, because he was, but I think it wasn't incredibly bad. $10.5-11 mil was probably the right amount.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
It doesn't matter what other teams have paid. What matters is that this GM has set a standard of overpaying his RFAs. And has also shown a willingness to cave in the case of a holdout.

If I'm Marner's agent I'm asking for 11.5+ and I tell Mitch to out until Dubas either caves again or is fired.
You forgot the third option "or until he trades you".

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
He can wait until July 1 when a ton of teams would gladly give up 2 #1s, a second and a third in compensation and pay him $10.2 M/season. He'll never take less than that because it is automatic he can get an RFA offer for that much.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
The cap was ~15mil lower when Kane signed.... and the Leafs just made Matthews and Tavares the #2 and #3 paid C's in the league. With inflation, Kane would be making 12.6. If I'm Marner, I say, "why would I get paid any less than Matthews? I'm better than him, more consistent than him, and I impact the game in more different ways than he does. Pay me what you paid Matthews or this is going to be a very tough negotiation".

Dubas, almost individually, set the market for this type of player. Maybe Marner signs for 9.5 but I would be very surprised. I think he gets at least 10mil and thats still being a team player on his part
I think many Leafs fans would be okay with Marner signing for $10 million X 8 years.

Reactions: Marner4Life

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Toews had been to the All Star game once, Matthews twice. Matthews had the Calder, Toews didn't.

At that point, Matthews deserved more.. I'm not going to say that he wasn't overpaid, because he was, but I think it wasn't incredibly bad. $10.5-11 mil was probably the right amount.

All stars don't mean awhole lot.

He can deserve more but we are looking at 2.5M more, and Marner was better than Matthews, scored at a higher rate than Matthews, so clearly at a higher rate than Toews, yet he should get 9.2M, brutal.

+ Kane signed december 2009(same as Toews) and scored 70 points that season, Marner 94.
& I'll say it again, would be beyond idiotic to go for 5 years with Marner.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Yep, you make your bed with the Matthews contract, now you have to live with a Marner contract that will not be team friendly.

Dubas also painted himself into to self imposed corner by saying a deal was imperative before July 1. Marner, Ferris, and his dad are holding all the cards at the negotiation table.
Actually he put Marner on notice, sign by July 1st or accept that you may be playing elsewhere.

Last edited:

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
And Tavares was offered reportedly 7 x 13 by the Sharks.

That would have been a Historic overpay so do you have a source on that?

Remember when people used to pretend there was no Leaf hate on HF? Also does anyone remember this time last year when it looked like Nylander might get dealt and this forum was singing his praises? And now he is a cap dump who sucks?

Now suddenly after hating on Marner his first two years he is amazing now and deserves to be a top 5 paid player in the NHL after having a career year next to JT.

I love Marner but no problem at all if he is traded if he won't come down or if he signs an offer sheet just take the picks. At some point Dubas will have to put his foot down and say he learned his lesson. We'll lose a good player to do it. Let's get rid of Marner and sign all our RFA/UFA's if we have to.

Or maybe JT had a career year next to Marner. He improved his career high goals by 10 this year

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Lol maybe in a career year. Everyone mentions that marner only got 94 because its a contract year but lets check out Matthews stats before/after signing his contract.

Before signing on 2/5: 46p in 38gp = 99pt pace.
After signing on 2/5: 27p in 30gp = 74pt pace.

Add to that he can't stay healthy and so has only gotten 70pts after three seasons despite being worth apparently the second most of all NHL players.

Matthews is alot like Tampa this year. Great on paper but then when push comes to shove its just a disappointment that was way overhyped.

I'd say Matthews was a lot less of a disappointment than Tampa. Matthews at least put up numbers in the 1st round.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
they should've never taken the poison fruit of Tavares
it threw everything off in a big big way.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Didn't take long for Marner to become average NHL'r.
No one said he is average at all, but to paraphrase Mr. Lamoriello I think that most fans of the Leafs "care less about the name on the back then they do about the crest on the front".
Whatever improves the Leafs the most is what I am in favour of.
That could be a signed Mitch Marner at a certain cap hit or it could be four first round picks plus a boatload of cap space to spend.

Reactions: hamzarocks

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Toews had a f***ing Conn Smythe.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Marner is not better than Matthews

Well i disagree. Marner was one of the best players and most dynamic around the whole league last year. The kid is outstanding.

I realize alot of fans refuse to admit Marner is better cause of the whole contract thing coming up and they are nervous about the contract he will get. But he will get paid Matthews type money regardless so its ok to admit Marner is better

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
And the Flyers can have him for the low, low price of their next four first round picks and the Leafs can decide how to spend their cap space dollars.

I'd think a trade would be worked out first. As attractive as four first round picks are, I'd rather have something that helps out sooner, or more of a sure thing. If Philly starts competing, which with their roster they should, you could end up with four picks in the mid to late 20's... not that good.

Frost, 2019 1st and Sanheim would be preferable to me.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
He can wait until July 1 when a ton of teams would gladly give up 2 #1s, a second and a third in compensation and pay him $10.2 M/season. He'll never take less than that because it is automatic he can get an RFA offer for that much.
So you think he will take that deal or
9.95m x 8 to stay a Leaf...

Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad