Friedman: Leafs do not see Marner making more than Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Of coursee. Two top teams playing each other in a 7 game series. Didn't go the leafs way but if you think because of that strong match up you consider that mediocre then keep posting hot garbage like you are. To me a mediocre team would have lost the series 4-0. Oh the leafs haters. Lol :laugh:

Using your logic Tampa Bay must be a bottom 5 team because they got swept
TIL that finishing 5th in the conference with 2 points more than the 8th seed makes you a top team.

Reactions: NOLAPensFan and che

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Tavares had never scored 40 goals before signing his contract, had a career high of 86 points, and was 27. This year he increases his season goals record by 10 and improves his career high in points. Why would that be? Likely because he had a 94 point, 21yo winger driving his line. Tavares was a 35/45 center who got 11 million. Why shouldnt a 25/65 Winger be getting somewhere close, especially when there is way more room for improvement than there was for Tavares

Tavares is a center with a history of making his wingers better. John Tavares beat his career high in points by 2 this season, Mitch Marner improved on his previous best by 25 points. Do you really think Marner was driving that line?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Let's go by points in the standings not using a division with three 100 point teams in it. I love the HF spin on everything about Toronto
Toronto finished with 1 point more than the first wild card in the East. How does that make them a "top team"? (your words)

To me they were just a team that made the playoffs this year, not a threat.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Tavares had never scored 40 goals before signing his contract, had a career high of 86 points, and was 27. This year he increases his season goals record by 10 and improves his career high in points. Why would that be? Likely because he had a 94 point, 21yo winger driving his line. Tavares was a 35/45 center who got 11 million. Why shouldnt a 25/65 Winger be getting somewhere close, especially when there is way more room for improvement than there was for Tavares

So Brayden Point is due a contract somewhere between 11-12 million per year?

It seems as though your fan base is hoping for around $7.5 mil.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
One of Kap/AJ will be moved. I would also bet Brown gone too. They will try to move NZ but might have to add a big sweetener. Marner gets 10.775x5 and does a Timmies ad for xmas dressed as an elf.

So that removes 2-2.5 and they are weaker, especially if they move Kapanen. I would think it has to be Nylander or Marleau to really make a dent, right?

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Matthews injured in 2 of his 3 seasons = injury prone
McDavid injured in 2 of 4 seasons = not injury prone
EP being injured twice in his rookie season = not injury prone
Eichel being injured 3 of his 4 seaons = not injury prone
Barkov being injured in 4 of 6 seasons = not injury prone

HF in a nutshell
Context is key. Mcdavid broke his collarbone rookie year, had 2 healthy years and this year missed 2 games with the flu and 2 with suspension.

You dont see the difference between missing 2 games with injury/sickness vs 14 this year and 20 last year.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I completely agree on a 10.xx by 5 year contract. That makes a fair amount sense for a lot of teams. But then it also makes a lot of sense for the Leafs to add a slight premium to buy up a 6th or even 7th year

But several people have been gloating about how the Leafs will have to give him Matthews money or someone will. Not a whole lot of volunteers stepping up to that plate
What if Nashville moves on from subban and then offers him 11 X whatever years ? Tight to the cap for one year if they can't dump anyone else . But he checks a bunch of boxes for Nashville. Mostly hope can run their terrible power play.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
What if Nashville moves on from subban and then offers him 11 X whatever years ? Tight to the cap for one year if they can't dump anyone else . But he checks a bunch of boxes for Nashville. Mostly hope can run their terrible power play.

It's possible, but 4 x 1st's is a hell of a price tag, and a hell of a lot of uncertainty.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
It's possible, but 4 x 1st's is a hell of a price tag, and a hell of a lot of uncertainty.
True I could just see them doing it while rinne is still around . They have been targeted by offer sheets before . And one marner is better than four hartmans that turn into Simmonds

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Because it's a myth.

1 year ago, 3 of the top 6 paid players were wingers. And of the top 16 paid players, 7 were wingers, 7 were centers.

Before Mcdavid and Eichel got their contracts who are the direct comparables for Matthews. When they go to arbritration they wont be using centermen, so tell me who are the direct comparable wingers for Marner?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Of coursee. Two top teams playing each other in a 7 game series. Didn't go the leafs way but if you think because of that strong match up you consider that mediocre then keep posting hot garbage like you are. To me a mediocre team would have lost the series 4-0. Oh the leafs haters. Lol :laugh:

Using your logic Tampa Bay must be a bottom 5 team because they got swept

So you say "to me a mediocre team would have lost the series 4-0" then say bv my logic Tampa Bay is terrible? No that's your logic.

Tampa Bay is capable of winning series, they made the conference finals last year. Tampa Bay can finish first in the division. Tampa Bay are not the Leafs. I base the Leafs mediocrity on being closer to finishing out of the playoffs than finishing second in their division, coupled with consistently being unable to win a playoff series. In the past 5 years 14 different teams have won a playoff series, the Leafs are not one of them. Yeah, but calling them mediocre is hating on the Leafs. lmao

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I completely agree on a 10.xx by 5 year contract. That makes a fair amount sense for a lot of teams. But then it also makes a lot of sense for the Leafs to add a slight premium to buy up a 6th or even 7th year

But several people have been gloating about how the Leafs will have to give him Matthews money or someone will. Not a whole lot of volunteers stepping up to that plate
You have absolutely no idea how many suitors there’s would be.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
So you say "to me a mediocre team would have lost the series 4-0" then say bv my logic Tampa Bay is terrible? No that's your logic.

Tampa Bay is capable of winning series, they made the conference finals last year. Tampa Bay can finish first in the division. Tampa Bay are not the Leafs. I base the Leafs mediocrity on being closer to finishing out of the playoffs than finishing second in their division, coupled with consistently being unable to win a playoff series. In the past 5 years 14 different teams have won a playoff series, the Leafs are not one of them. Yeah, but calling them mediocre is hating on the Leafs. lmao
That's right. You dislike the leafs and it shows in your posts. Like I said mediocre teams don't get back to back 100 point seasons

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Brayden Point - Center - 175 points the last two years... including playoffs.
Marner - Winger - 176 points the last two years, including playoffs

Point plays the more valuable position.

Surely if Marner is worth $11 million per, then Point is too right?

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
That's right. You dislike the leafs and it shows in your posts. Like I said mediocre teams don't get back to back 100 point seasons

I'm completely indifferent to the Leafs. I think no more or less of them than any other team that has had a history of mediocre to abyssal performance. I hate the Leafs no more than the Panthers or Sabres or any host of other perennially mediocre to abysmal teams. There are certain Leafs fans I have an issue with that constantly overrate their team and players and have a large amount of difficulty coming to terms with the fact that their team is no where near as good as they like to think it is.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I'm completely indifferent to the Leafs. I think no more or less of them than any other team that has had a history of mediocre to abyssal performance. I hate the Leafs no more than the Panthers or Sabres or any host of other perennially mediocre to abysmal teams. There are certain Leafs fans I have an issue with that constantly overrate their team and players and have a large amount of difficulty coming to terms with the fact that their team is no where near as good as they like to think it is.
Isn't that every fan base of every team that has people like that. Its just on a much larger scale because of the amount of leafs fans compared to other teams. It sounds kind of silly that because some fans are more Homers then others you feel the need to paint all leafs fans with the same brush

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No massive hype! Matthews is the better player period and plays the harder position oh wait and he also plays with 2 young 20 something players on his wings oh yeah and was rookie of the year. Marner will and should fall in between Nylander and Matthews around 10m per.

Oh man how things change.

& Sure Marner hasn't been hyped at all :sarcasm:

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
As much as I love Marner... Put him with Johnsson and Nylander (as center) and he isn't putting up 94 points. His first 2 seasons weren't comparable to his 3rd. He and his agent need to realize this to have fair negotiations.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
Brayden Point - Center - 175 points the last two years... including playoffs.
Marner - Winger - 176 points the last two years, including playoffs

Point plays the more valuable position.

Surely if Marner is worth $11 million per, then Point is too right?
If Marner and Point both signed $10 million deals with their respective clubs Point would make about $2 million more per year than Marner because of no state tax laws.

Marner gets $11m and Point gets $9m. Both players clear the same amount of money but the Toronto GM gets crucified by his fan base because it appears he over paid his player.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
So Brayden Point is due a contract somewhere between 11-12 million per year?

It seems as though your fan base is hoping for around $7.5 mil.
I don’t think any of them are worth 11. I think point could get 10+ from the right team but I think he signs for less

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad