Friedman: Leafs do not see Marner making more than Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The cap's gone up what, $11.5m since Kane's contract kicked in?

($83m/$71.4m) * $10.5m = $12.2m

I bet Marner would settle for $12m.

I agree with you that Marner would take $12 per in a heartbeat. I don’t think he gets that much though.

Kane was also a pending UFA at the time IIRC.

I’m so sick of these GMs letting RFAs walk all over them and getting paid like UFAs.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Toronto fans were freaking annoying to the point of muting them when you got Tavares last summer.
The hate is justified

Justified or not (and I certainly don't think it is), don't you find it odd that some fans (a vocal minority, to be sure) would rather see Toronto fail than see their own team succeed?

I have a buddy that is a self proclaimed Habs fan. But he never talks about Montreal games, their players, or anything. He only mocks the Leafs. He actively teased me when Toronto fell to Boston, even though his (supposed) team missed the dance completely. The threads about cup predictions are filled with comments saying "anyone but Toronto".

And here we are in a thread about an incredibly entertaining young star player, and no one writes a single compliment about the guy. No neutral fans popping in just to say they really like watching Marner, or that they wish they had him. No. Nothing but jokes about our stars getting overpaid, and the team being doomed to fall apart. Would it look like this if the thread were about Clayton Keller? Did it look like this for Johnny Gaudreau?

I'm telling you (whether it's justified or not) there is a group of "fans" that hate the Leafs more than they like hockey.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Mitch Marner: Right Winger
Career:
241 67 157 224
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Auston Matthews Center
Career:
212 111 94 205
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
In 3 seasons Matthews is the better player and will only get better. Matthews has almost doubled Marners goal total in 29 less game not to mention 19 less points. Not to mention with a so called bad playoffs last year Marner only has 4 more points total over the last 3 playoffs.
And this year, Marner was better. And had a better PPG. And healthier.

And are you missing the part where I have said repeatedly that Marner will get less money per and sign for more term?

And yup, Matthews had a good playoffs. Now has 13 points in 20 games. Mitch has 17 points in 20 games.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Oh look it's you again!

Matthews (and JT) play center, and are top 5 goal scorers in the NHL (per game wise).
Marner doesn't play center, is not a goal scorer.

Marner does not deserve the same pay because he does not do the two hardest things for a forward to do.

Chris Johnston told us what Dubas will do. He will give them an offer before July 1st and say this is our offer and if you won't consider it then we have to move on because we cannot pay you this. Marner's agents will likely laugh and try to sign an offer sheet. Marner will need to ask himself if he truly wants to leave because that possibility will become real. I think he "caves" (the offer will be fair but he could get more in an open market obviously) because he wants to be a Leaf.

He may not be a goal scorer, but he sets players like Matthews and Tavares up for those goals. He also plays on the PK, which neither Matthews or Tavares do.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Justified or not (and I certainly don't think it is), don't you find it odd that some fans (a vocal minority, to be sure) would rather see Toronto fail than see their own team succeed?

I have a buddy that is a self proclaimed Habs fan. But he never talks about Montreal games, their players, or anything. He only mocks the Leafs. He actively teased me when Toronto fell to Boston, even though his (supposed) team missed the dance completely. The threads about cup predictions are filled with comments saying "anyone but Toronto".

And here we are in a thread about an incredibly entertaining young star player, and no one writes a single compliment about the guy. No neutral fans popping in just to say they really like watching Marner, or that they wish they had him. No. Nothing but jokes about our stars getting overpaid, and the team being doomed to fall apart. Would it look like this if the thread were about Clayton Keller? Did it look like this for Johnny Gaudreau?

I'm telling you (whether it's justified or not) there is a group of "fans" that hate the Leafs more than they like hockey.

Then I guess you haven't read the thread. A habs fan a few posts up said he would gladly take him at $11.5mm a year.

Reactions: MasterDecoy

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Kane's contract didn't include any RFA years. Marner's will include 4.
ok the Leafs killed this argument when Dubas gave Matthews 5 x 11.5. Now they have to live with it. While Chiarelli poked holes in it with McDavid and Draisatl contracts but the killer was the Leafs and Matthews.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
ok the Leafs killed this argument when Dubas gave Matthews 5 x 11.5. Now they have to live with it. While Chiarelli poked holes in it with McDavid and Draisatl contracts but the killer was the Leafs and Matthews.

The McDavid contract was a steal. Lower cap % than Crosby's RFA contract for 8 years instead of 5

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Then I guess you haven't read the thread. A habs fan a few posts up said he would gladly take him at $11.5mm a year.

Great, you found a single example. I will admit that I was wrong to say "no neutral fans" were saying these things. In fact, in the 10 pages of the thread, you might even find a second one!

Now how many insults and "joy at our pain" comments do you think I can find on page 1 alone? How about the guy who said watching Dubas cave would be "so fun to watch"? How about the fake Dubas negotiation that has 55 likes? How about the big bold letters and fake quote saying Marner doesn't see a future with the Leafs? Or the "delicious" reality comment? Or the double laughing faces at the idea he will only get 10.5? All on page 1.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I mean that seems like a reasonable stance to take.

Agreed, Kane is a hart trophy winner, conn smyth winner, Calder winner Marner doesnt have any of those acolades. Why should he get more than Kucherov too. Winger prices arent center prices.

Good luck with that Leafs. You paid Matthews like a top player already... You will be paying the better player Marner a crap load

11.5 per atleast.. Its pretty obvios

I just dont agree the center market is more expensive.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
The cap was ~15mil lower when Kane signed.... and the Leafs just made Matthews and Tavares the #2 and #3 paid C's in the league. With inflation, Kane would be making 12.6. If I'm Marner, I say, "why would I get paid any less than Matthews? I'm better than him, more consistent than him, and I impact the game in more different ways than he does. Pay me what you paid Matthews or this is going to be a very tough negotiation".

Dubas, almost individually, set the market for this type of player. Maybe Marner signs for 9.5 but I would be very surprised. I think he gets at least 10mil and thats still being a team player on his part

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
And this year, Marner was better. And had a better PPG. And healthier.

And are you missing the part where I have said repeatedly that Marner will get less money per and sign for more term?

And yup, Matthews had a good playoffs. Now has 13 points in 20 games. Mitch has 17 points in 20 games.

Marner BARELY had a better PPG playing with tavares. Compared to Matthews who had rookieS

Not only that. They scored at the exact same PPG. Except Marner had like 7 assists on empty nets.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Agreed, Kane is a hart trophy winner, conn smyth winner, Calder winner Marner doesnt have any of those acolades. Why should he get more than Kucherov too. Winger prices arent center prices.

Kane didnt have most of his accolades at the time he signed (no Art Ross, Hart or Lindsay...only topped 75pts once), although the Conn Smythe was definitely significant, but based on percentage of the cap, if he signed today, it would be more than what McDavid got.

As far as C vs W, there is a slight measurable difference... much more when you get further down the lineup though. Perry makes as much as Getzlaf, Kane makes as much as Toews... and I dont think you can really make the case that the wingers were considered consensus better players at the time they were signed. Most of that is retrospect. So there is definite precedence for wingers commanding as much as their C counterparts, especially when theyre on the same team.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011

Kucherov plays in a state with no state income tax. Huge difference between Florida and Ontario in terms of taxation.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
It’s ok Kyle Dubas will use his analytics to get marner signed up and get 10 800k guys to contribute by looking at his analytic charts

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Those damn leafs fans getting excited over the biggest UFA signing in NHL history after going through a stretch of 1 playoff appearance in 10 years before turning the team around with Matthews/Marner. How dare they enjoy that......

Going from abysmal to mediocre is reason to boast like you've won the last 20 Stanley cups? Only in Toronto.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think some fans are more happy about a potentially difficult cap situation for Toronto than they would be to watch their own team win a playoff series. I really do.

The hate is unbelievable. It's like some fans hate the Leafs more than they ever actually liked hockey.
It's close. My favourite team has always been the Habs, followed closely by whoever plays the Leafs. Consider it a compliment. Or not.
Being that my team is golfing right now cheering against the Leafs is great.

Reactions: dukeofjive and zaqq

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Kucherov plays in a state with no state income tax. Huge difference between Florida and Ontario in terms of taxation.

The money athletes lose in high tax places like Ontario they get back in endorsements. Yes Kuch pays no state tax but doesn't make nearly as much as say Marner would get in endorsements i.e. commercials, autograph signings, billboard pictures.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Good luck with that Leafs. You paid Matthews like a top player already... You will be paying the better player Marner a crap load

11.5 per atleast.. Its pretty obvios

This offseason is gonna be so fun to watch. Dubas will cave once again
Why are you taking two different stances? So it's obvious that Marner is the greatest and deserves more than 11.5 million (which is a load of nonsense), but also if Dubas pays him what he deserves, he should be mocked and laughed at for caving.

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
This is a matter of you not understanding how the cap works. There is no cap loophole at work here. Nylander doesn't get paid for portion of the season he missed, so thats why the cap hit is lower than if he had played the full season.

Nylander missed ~32% of the season, so only gets paid ~68% of the $10-million base salary in his first year. $6.8 base + $2 signing bonus means he makes $8.8 million in his first year. Add that to the $33-million over the next 5 years and divide by the total number of years on the contract (6 years) and you get his cap hit.

There is no loophole. Simply money paid over the contact divided by years of the contract.
SEASONCLAUSECAP HIT
q2.svg
AAV
q2.svg
P. BONUSES
q2.svg
S. BONUSES
q2.svg
BASE SALARY
q2.svg
TOTAL SALARY
q2.svg
MINORS SALARY
q2.svg
2018-19 $10,277,778$10,277,778$0$2,000,000$10,000,000$12,000,000$12,000,000
2019-20 $6,962,366$6,962,366$0$8,300,000$700,000$9,000,000$9,000,000
2020-21 $6,962,366$6,962,366$0$3,500,000$2,500,000$6,000,000$6,000,000
2021-22 $6,962,366$6,962,366$0$3,500,000$2,500,000$6,000,000$6,000,000
2022-23 $6,962,366$6,962,366$0$3,500,000$2,500,000$6,000,000$6,000,000
2023-24Modified NTC$6,962,366$6,962,366$0$3,500,000$2,500,000$6,000,000$6,000,000
TOTAL $45,089,608$45,089,608$0$24,300,000$20,700,000$45,000,000$45,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So he isn't getting paid $45 million over 6 years? You should call up the Toronto media because they have been reporting Nylander making over $20 million by July 1 of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad