Proposal: Leafs - Canucks 3 for 3 block buster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
What has Hutton done to prove he has a higher stock than Connor Brown? He is a 5/6 D. Just because you are a 5/6D in the NHL doesn't mean you are better than someone in the AHL.

According to all stats and even advanced stats + the eye test... Gardiner is better than Tanev.

Nucks fans are just salty they didn't get Nylander instead Virtanen.
They even think that Tanev> Morgan Reilly which tells you how biased they are.

Well then if Gardner is better than Tanev, why support the proposal?
If Brown is better than Hutton, why support the trade.
If Nylander is so good then why are you willing to trade for Virtanen?
If Benning would've wanted Nylander, he would've selected him

Typical Toronto fans....they dump on a players value just to complete a trade for crap assets then when they do pull off the trade they just won the sweepstakes trade of all time.

You sir....are a self conflicted sort

What has Hutton done to make himself better than Brown? Well ask yourself who is actually playing in the show and who is likely to be travelling in buses next year pal

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa

Typical Toronto fans....they dump on a players value just to complete a trade for crap assets then when they do pull off the trade they just won the sweepstakes trade of all time.

Way to generalize, bud.
Also, I dnt see him supporting any of the trade... so this is a pretty redundant post.

"What has Hutton done to make himself better than Brown? Well ask yourself who is actually playing in the show and who is likely to be travelling in buses next year pal"

Do you actually think like this? We have way too many forwards, Babcock even said last year Brown should be on the Leafs. Virtanen wouldn't even be on the Leafs this year.

Marner was in the OHL last year riding buses, would you take Hutton over him?

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
:leafs

Ben Hutton

Chris Tanev

Jake Virtanen

:nucks

Jake Gardiner

William Nylander

Nikita Soshnikov or Connor Brown or Leafs 2017 2nd

Thoughts? Too big of a swap? If so how could it be simplified?
How bout this...

Baertschi
Gaunce
CBJ 2nd

For

Reilly
JVR
2017 2nd

If you think that's asinine remember.....you started it

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014
Way to generalize, bud.
Also, I dnt see him supporting any of the trade... so this is a pretty redundant post.

"What has Hutton done to make himself better than Brown? Well ask yourself who is actually playing in the show and who is likely to be travelling in buses next year pal"

Do you actually think like this? We have way too many forwards, Babcock even said last year Brown should be on the Leafs. Virtanen wouldn't even be on the Leafs this year.

Don't lump Marner into the Hutton/Brown equation just to justify my point.
So would you trade Brown for Hutton? If so then that backs up my point on how the values are set

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
This proposal is absolutely rediculous.

And the fact leaf fans are saying no to it is even funnier. Canucks lose this trade big time. Like not even close.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Don't lump Marner into the Hutton/Brown equation just to justify my point.
So would you trade Brown for Hutton? If so then that backs up my point on how the values are set

The guy you posted about was totally wrong, we all know that. The way you went about pointing it out was wrong too though, I think that's the only point that dude was trying to make.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lol jut because Hutton is in YOUR top 4 and Virtanen is YOUR top prospect doesn't suddenly give then the value of a top 4 dman and a blue chip forward prospect.

A point that bears repeating.

Further, the gap between Virtanen and Nylander is significant, and the gap between Tanev and Gardiner is smaller than many in this thread assume.

There's simply no valid reason for the Leafs to accept this deal.

Further, I do understand why the Nucks might not be interested in this deal - especially since their management seems to show no sign of wanting to rebuild. They'd be better off trying to trade Virtanen for a more established player to go alongside the Sedins.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015

What has Hutton done to make himself better than Brown? Well ask yourself who is actually playing in the show and who is likely to be travelling in buses next year pal

Generalize much? You can't just pick and choose random extreme posts to suit your needs and then imply that's how the entire fanbase feels. It's not a Toronto specific type of behaviour FYI.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa

Further, the gap between Virtanen and Nylander is significant, and the gap between Tanev and Gardiner is smaller than many in this thread assume.

Further, I do understand why the Nucks might not be interested in this deal - especially since their management seems to show no sign of wanting to rebuild. They'd be better off trying to trade Virtanen for a more established player to go alongside the Sedins.
I agree with everything you said

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Ever heard of this guy Eriksson?

Tanev is a #2 Gardiner is a #3 that is the gap.

Feb 24, 2004
Dear lord no. This is atrocious for the Canucks. We give up 2 top 4 dmen and a local boy who was recently a 6 overall pick for a #4-5 dman, a very good prospect (or two) and a pick.

Awful. Simply Awful for Vancouver.

Gardiner is a #4/5 dman?

That sucks for the Leafs if true.

Also isn't Nylander by far the best player in this deal?

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
How the **** is Virtanen overrated? Everyone on here does nothing but hate on the guy. Leafs fans especially feel the constant need to point out how were supposedly jealous all of the time that we didn't pick Nylander. Sounds like your just another homer doing the sammmeee thing. I'll gladly keep Virt and watch him turn into a 60 point PWF and you can keep Nylander, I just hope there isn't a lot of disappointment in leaf land when he doesn't put up 120 points next year.

Hutton is already a top 4 Dman, maybe watch the canucks play a game, and you'll understand how good this kid looks and if you did some research you would see how good he looked in college too.

By the way there is not a player on this board that is more overrated than Nylander, and its not even close.

Where in my post did I state the Canucks should have taken Nylander over Virtanen? You are getting your panties all twisted up over something I never even said. Virtanen is over rated. He was a 6th overall pick, and is a player who will not live up to his expectations. He got called out by the Sedin's this year due to his lack of effort, he struggled with consistency all year, and need I mention the World Juniors? He was a returning guy who was supposed to lead the team. But he makes bone headed plays. Takes dumb penalties. Low hockey IQ. The list goes on.

Forget that I'm a Leafs fan. Forget You are a Canucks fan. Virtanen could be on any other team and I still wouldn't want him. As for Nylander, I actually see him getting traded a few years down the road. I have never and never will expect him to get 120 pts a season. If he gets 40+ points I'll be happy. If he gets 50+, I'll p**s my pants with excitement. As for Hutton, I'm not ripping the guy. I said he's an average NHL D man. Just because the Canucks blue line is so thin and he may have played in the top 4, doesn't make him a top 4 NHL defender. SO what if he threw up a few points last year? Let's see what he can do in his second and third season before we start saying how great he is. I mean his -21 last year is pretty ugly, just sayin....but what does a 'homer' like me know...

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Way to generalize, bud.

Just because a coach or GM says something, doesn't mean they aren't just saying it to pander to the fans.

GMs and coaches say one thing and do the opposite all the time!

If Babcock really meant that I'm sure the Leafs could have made room for him over the likes of guys such as Brad Boyes, Daniel Winnik, Milan Michalek, Byron Froese, Colin Greening, Nick Spaling, Mark Arcobello, Ben Smith, Zach Hyman, Brooks Laich.... the list goes on of players who are fringe NHLers who played more games than Brown last season.

Some of these guys are so fringe that they are no longer NHL players! Care to explain why they suited up for more games than Brown if the coach truly believed he should have been on the Leafs?

Theres no doubt Brown showed extremely well in his limited time in the NHL, but that was an extremely small sample size.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Just because a coach or GM says something, doesn't mean they aren't just saying it to pander to the fans.

GMs and coaches say one thing and do the opposite all the time!

If Babcock really meant that I'm sure the Leafs could have made room for him over the likes of guys such as Brad Boyes, Daniel Winnik, Milan Michalek, Byron Froese, Colin Greening, Nick Spaling, Mark Arcobello, Ben Smith, Zach Hyman, Brooks Laich.... the list goes on of players who are fringe NHLers who played more games than Brown last season.

Some of these guys are so fringe that they are no longer NHL players! Care to explain why they suited up for more games than Brown if the coach truly believed he should have been on the Leafs?

Theres no doubt Brown showed extremely well in his limited time in the NHL, but that was an extremely small sample size.

Well, I'm sure you knew weare rebuilding.
Half those players were acquired in a trade half way through the season and the other half was being given opportunity to raise their trade deadline stock. Rebuilding teams try to acquire picks by signing guys to one year deals then trying to flip them for assets.
Can't do that if we have our young guys up and the other guys you mentioned down on the Marlies.

Last year was arguably year 1 of the rebuild.
We had the Marlies who were winning like crazy and kept Nylander, Kapanen, Soshnikov, Brown and all those guys down there in a winning environment rather than bring them up and have them in a losing environment.

Some were also worried that they'd come up and play well and cost us some needed losses.

Which they showed they were capable of when they were brought up after the deadline.

The canucks were trying to win games and still are.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Where in my post did I state the Canucks should have taken Nylander over Virtanen? You are getting your panties all twisted up over something I never even said. Virtanen is over rated. He was a 6th overall pick, and is a player who will not live up to his expectations. He got called out by the Sedin's this year due to his lack of effort, he struggled with consistency all year, and need I mention the World Juniors? He was a returning guy who was supposed to lead the team. But he makes bone headed plays. Takes dumb penalties. Low hockey IQ. The list goes on.

Forget that I'm a Leafs fan. Forget You are a Canucks fan. Virtanen could be on any other team and I still wouldn't want him. As for Nylander, I actually see him getting traded a few years down the road. I have never and never will expect him to get 120 pts a season. If he gets 40+ points I'll be happy. If he gets 50+, I'll p**s my pants with excitement. As for Hutton, I'm not ripping the guy. I said he's an average NHL D man. Just because the Canucks blue line is so thin and he may have played in the top 4, doesn't make him a top 4 NHL defender. SO what if he threw up a few points last year? Let's see what he can do in his second and third season before we start saying how great he is. I mean his -21 last year is pretty ugly, just sayin....but what does a 'homer' like me know...

No, but analytically and statistically speaking, Ben Hutton is a top 4 defenceman. I hate when people use logic like this. It's like suggesting that Schneider isn't a starting goalie because the Devils suck.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
1. Where in my post did I state the Canucks should have taken Nylander over Virtanen? You are getting your panties all twisted up over something I never even said.

Forget that I'm a Leafs fan. Forget You are a Canucks fan. Virtanen could be on any other team and I still wouldn't want him. As for Nylander, I actually see him getting traded Virtanen is over rated. He was a 6th overall pick, and is a player who will not live up to his expectations. He got called out by the Sedin's this year due to his lack of effort, he struggled with consistency all year, and need I mention the World Juniors? He was a returning guy who was supposed to lead the team. But he makes bone headed plays. Takes dumb penalties. Low hockey IQ. The list goes on. a few years down the road. I have never and never will expect him to get 120 pts a season. If he gets 40+ points I'll be happy. If he gets 50+, I'll p**s my pants with excitement. As for Hutton, I'm not ripping the guy. I said he's an average NHL D man. Just because the Canucks blue line is so thin and he may have played in the top 4, doesn't make him a top 4 NHL defender. SO what if he threw up a few points last year? Let's see what he can do in his second and third season before we start saying how great he is. I mean his -21 last year is pretty ugly, just sayin....but what does a 'homer' like me know...

Read the boards it's been stated by Leafs fans over and over and over again.

He is 20 years old for ****s sake. WOW. For a large majority of the year he was a bottom sixer including lots of time on the 4th line you know that right? He had a bad world juniors, so did many players on that team, one WJ does not mean he is garbage forever. PWF usually take longer to develop you are aware of this? I just love this whole he is not gonna reach expectations argument... He is 20 years old for god's sake, how the hell can anybody make that determination at this point?

Hutton looked really good in college and has looked good so far as a Canuck, there is no reason to think that he won't be a solid top 4 Dman, literally none, your whole average Dman comment shows how little knowledge you have about the guy. Anybody who knows anything about hockey knows how bad of a stat +/- is for Dmen.

Mad Brills*

again, if hutton was a RHD, I'd probably do this deal.

Leafs aren't trade nylander unless a RHD is coming back.

And gardiner is part of the tanev deal.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Toronto says no, Tanev is overrated

So is Nylander.

Exciting young prospect with lots of skill but a perimeter player. His own coach called him out for lack of intensity in the AHL playoffs. Lets wait and see before he is anointed a super star.

Is he ahead of Virtanen right now, of course, but I don't know too many power forwards who have their NHL games all together by the age of 19. He has a unique blend of speed, skill and power, hits like a truck. He showed flashes last year and did have the best possession numbers of all Canuck forwards, played well defensively and showed some flashes of elite skill.

Leaf fans have written off the career of a 19 year old because of a poor world junior tournament.

As for the trade proposal um no. As promising as Nylander is, good defencemen and elite power forwards are harder to find than small, skilled centres.

Last edited:

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I'd do brown and 5th for hutton

Why on earth would the Canucks give up their #3 defenceman who just won a gold medal on Team Canada as a rookie for that?

Apparently you have been in a coma this summer and missed the cost of trading for top 4 defencemen.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
So is Nylander.

Exciting young prospect with lots of skill but a perimeter player. His own coach called him out for lack of intensity in the AHL playoffs. Lets wait and see before he is anointed a super star.

Is he ahead of Virtanen right now, of course, but I don't know too many power forwards who have their NHL games all together by the age of 19. He has a unique blend of speed, skill and power, hits like a truck. He showed flashes last year and did have the best possession numbers of all Canuck forwards, played well defensively and showed some flashes of elite skill.

Leaf fans have written off the career of a 19 year old because of a poor world junior tournament.

As for the trade proposal um no. As promising as Nylander is, good defencemen and elite power forwards are harder to find than small, skilled centres.

So Virtanen is elite and Nylander is small lmfao. Yiu have no idea what you're talking about lmfao.

This kid is small https://www.instagram.com/p/BILDp-9gYAg/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad