Rumor: Leafs and Oilers will not be looking for a Goalie at the Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Holland really messed up in two ways this past off season.

1) He failed to get a legit goalie but instead believed that a coming to 40 year old Mike Smith could put out a repeat performance from last year, despite his history of injuries. I agree that they should have traded him last summer when his value was pretty high.
2) Signing Darnell Nurse to pretty much an open book contract. He should have offered him much lower and if he rejects then trade him.

That Darnell Nurse contract is going to handicap this team for the next 6 years. He's just not that good, a low end #1 dman and is easily replacable.

Then other blunders like re-signing Barrie, for what? To play on the bottom pair with sheltered minutes? They should have let him go and give the spot to Broberg. Bringing in Keith seemed to have been a smart move though but I feel they could have gotten him cheaper. They overpaid for Hyman but they had no choice. I can see why they wanted him.

And his most recent move of bringing Kane is clearly a desperation move. Kane is not going to put this team over the top.

I understand your concern/frustrations . We here in Chicago had to deal with Bowman for the past 11 years of bad trades , ridiculous contracts offered and a depletion of every prospect whom was legit to save his job from handing out bad contracts that hurt Chicago cap space...

Bringing in keith I do agree was a good move for badly needed veteran leadership/voice ...

The problem imo that I see is these last few drafts have been underwhelming with bona-fide talent. Look around the league and you really don't see that many stars . I remember drafts that the talent level was so good you were bound to get a good player...

Even the goalies , it's hard to find future hall of farmers in the league now...

Mar 26, 2010
Toronto needs a starting goalie more than Edmonton does.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Oilers do not need insurance. They need a legit goalie who just does not show flashes of being good.

The asking price for goalies who are not better than we have is a joke

Yup. Buying a competent goalie mid season is a big ask because you're usually asking the other team to give up on their season. I really don't know who we'll be after in the off-season, but there will be options and I imagine it'll cost 1/2 the price we're looking at paying for the crap that's currently on the market.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
What has been wrong with Campbell recently? I usually don't catch a lot of Leafs games, but I have him in fantasy hockey so I stat watch.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
This is the same as acting disinterested at the car dealership when you drove there in a POS to try and trick the salesmen into giving you a deal

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Trying to solve starting goaltending issues in season with a capped out team is a fools errand. Both teams need a shutdown defenseman. That should be the priority. You don't need the best goalie in the league to win in the playoffs. Just a guy who can get hot for a month.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Sounds like a credible opinion. As illustrated by how long it took to fire Tippett I get the impression that Ken Holland doesn't like to admit that he made a mistake.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Caleb Jones is no longer a oiler and relegated to 3rd pairing d-man.. Those other players you mentioned are 3rd and 4th line players which helps with depth but outside of that there prospects don't stand out and More so there is no guarantee any of them are worth pursuing...

Tampa , Pittsburgh, LA, Chicago all shared something in common had drafted and developed there entire roster at each position and there young elite prospects exceeded expectations ... having a young core defenseman, a goalie , and impact forwards with a solid young group of depth waiting in there respective farm team helped maintain and establish dominance....

Edmonton doesn't have a the luxury of enough positions filled with that kind of talent nor does Edmonton have that much depth in their farm system developed and ready to fill the many gaps ...

Chicago had seabrook , Keith, hammer and buff , niemi then there depth 3rd and 4th line players were impactful sprinkled in was some veterans and their 2 draft picks toews then kane both exceeded expectations at a early age . So even with a cap losing that much talent after winning a cup they had plenty of talent and depth in there farm league.

Likewise tampa , Pittsburgh, LA ...... That's the point here Edmonton doesn't poses enough talent to make any major moves and affect there roster...
It's their not there.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Has Koskinen's recent hot run taken away doubt for Holland to try and get a goalie.

Toronto is confident that Campbell is just in a funk?

Goaltending can easily sink any team in the post-season, this is a gamble gamble for both teams imo

No caproom and not much to pick from and prices are high. They decide to stay with what they got. Quite a gamble though if they go out early. More for the Leafs than Oilers.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Quite a long "streak" though.

.869 since January 15th, and that includes two great performances: 31/32 on Feb 1st and 45/46 on Feb 17.
Not as long as his amazing streak earlier in the year though.

Peaks and valleys.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
idk. Under the new coach the team seems revived. Most Oiler fans aren't worried about the risk of missing the playoffs now. It would be an appropriate move for management to make a roster upgrade of some type at least
They made their with kane. Helped but not enough. There isn't a team in the west afraid of the Oilers and just too many holes to plug in a single trade deadline. If playoffs happen it will be a short one again

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
How long before Draisaitl asks for a trade? I see him asking for it first well before McDavid.

He is 26 and McDavid is 25 both are halfway through their careers, they may stay great until 30 or 31 but many forwards by 28 , or 29 drop off. It's hard to say it won't or will happen but look at toews by 26 he didn't continue his performance, whereas kane only got better or Hossa at 31 was still effective for a few years...

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Jack Campbell went from ... Might be a Vezina candidate...to...Can't stop a beachball... in the span of a month. This is what scares me about trading significant assets and paying big dollars for a goalie.

Jack Campbell 2021-22 Splits | Hockey-Reference.com

Maybe the Leafs should try acquiring a starting goalie next time?

It's like putting a good bullpen arm in the starting rotation and then being shocked when he runs out of gas :laugh:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If the Oilers aren’t looking for a goalie they should make 0 moves at the deadlines. Don’t waste assets if you aren’t going to work on your biggest hole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad