Rumor: Leafs and Oilers will not be looking for a Goalie at the Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
As a leaf fan if we stay with the goaltending we have for the playoffs it will be another first round exit. The goaltending has been atrocious. Dubas is gonna lose his job betting on these two losers in net.

Last edited:

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
At this point, I think the only capable goalie available is Fleury. And Toronto should trade for him. Trade Mrazek + a pick. Extend Fleury for a year or 2 to give you the chance to find a long term solution.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
As a leaf fan if we stay with the goaltending we have for the playoffs it will be another first round exit. The goaltending has been atrocious. Dubas is gonna lose his job betting on these two lovers in net.
While I agree the Leafs goaltending is bad, I will ask again….with the news of MAF asking not to be traded, who is Dubas trading for?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
While I agree the Leafs goaltending is bad, I will ask again….with the news of MAF asking not to be traded, who is Dubas trading for?

Nothing great is available but I guess Holtby and Greiss are options for the leafs. Wouldnt cost too much. But MAF doesnt have a full NTC right? IIRC its a 10-team list so if leafs arent on it you can still get him.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Nothing great is available but I guess Holtby and Greiss are options for the leafs. Wouldnt cost too much. But MAF doesnt have a full NTC right? IIRC its a 10-team list so if leafs arent on it you can still get him.
So our choices are get a goalie that is about the same or worse than we have, or aim for a guy that doesn’t want to be here? Sounds great….

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
So our choices are get a goalie that is about the same or worse than we have, or aim for a guy that doesn’t want to be here? Sounds great….

Yea the goalie market looks pretty slim. I will say though that Greiss has been better than what his stats indicate. DRW has been a mess defensively which I guess you saw last time we met

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
08FF98E5-E70E-482C-A965-14DE9B3085C0.gif

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Yea the goalie market looks pretty slim. I will say though that Greiss has been better than what his stats indicate. DRW has been a mess defensively which I guess you saw last time we met
Again, not bashing anyone here, but are you really ready to roll into the playoffs with Greiss as the guy you are relying on?

My point in this thread is why bother? Other than MAF, there isn’t a goalie THAT’S AVAILABLE that would be worth acquiring. Leafs will be playing Tampa/Florida/Boston in the 1st round, what goalie could we realistically grab right now that would be a difference maker in that series?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don't buy it... its quite obvious these teams need a goalie and will be looking hard to figure something out.

I'm not sure what a good option is out there but they need to do something... they are definately atleast looking

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Again, not bashing anyone here, but are you really ready to roll into the playoffs with Greiss as the guy you are relying on?

My point in this thread is why bother? Other than MAF, there isn’t a goalie THAT’S AVAILABLE that would be worth acquiring. Leafs will be playing Tampa/Florida/Boston in the 1st round, what goalie could we realistically grab right now that would be a difference maker in that series?

No, I'm not trying to sell Greiss. I get it. Like I said its slim pickings out there.

The only reason to bother is that I think Id rather have Greiss rolling into the playoffs than Mrazek atm and I really like Mrazek but he seems hes out of gas completely. Either way its a gamble and there is no real answer to this for the leafs unless MAF is available (there is conflicting reports ont hat btw so he might not be unavailable)

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
I’m a Leafs fan, kid is an Oilers fan….so I watch both. Assuming MAF isn’t available, the only guys that would be available are going to be washed up vets or backups. The one guy I would actually gamble on would be Georgiev, kid has shown flashes of brilliance. That said, that’s an easier deal for the Oilers to make because Koskinen is expiring, Leafs somehow have to move Mrazek.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
No, I'm not trying to sell Greiss. I get it. Like I said its slim pickings out there.

The only reason to bother is that I think Id rather have Greiss rolling into the playoffs than Mrazek atm and I really like Mrazek but he seems hes out of gas completely. Either way its a gamble and there is no real answer to this for the leafs unless MAF is available (there is conflicting reports ont hat btw so he might not be unavailable)
Upgrading the backup isn’t really the issue…Leaf’s are pretty much a lock for the playoffs, so if you are going with Soup as the starter, no sense wasting assets on the backup.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Has Koskinen's recent hot run taken away doubt for Holland to try and get a goalie.

Toronto is confident that Campbell is just in a funk?

Goaltending can easily sink any team in the post-season, this is a gamble gamble for both teams imo

It’s someone saying something. If both those managers think this,, just fire them today and get it over with.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
It’s someone saying something. If both those managers think this,, just fire them today and get it over with.
I guess I will ask you to, if MAF is not available….who? Who is this upgrade that Holland or Dubas can magically pull out of their ass? A guy that they can confidently roll into the playoffs with?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I guess I will ask you to, if MAF is not available….who? Who is this upgrade that Holland or Dubas can magically pull out of their ass? A guy that they can confidently roll into the playoffs with?

They should start with Varlamov and work their way down the list. Hell, at this point I’d take Greiss over what Edmonton has. Funny thing with Mrazek, when that guy is on, he’s lights out. I just haven’t seen his switch turned on all year.

I understand where you’re coming from but they have to get creative here. Vegas probably won’t move their backup, but I’d take Broissot over these guys.

Their goaltending is so bad right now you have to turn over every stone.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I'd take a chance on Craig Anderson, he may be ancient by now but he plays better when the games get bigger. I could see one more god mode cup run in him before he retires.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don't buy it... its quite obvious these teams need a goalie and will be looking hard to figure something out.

I'm not sure what a good option is out there but they need to do something... they are definately atleast looking

I imagine they have already looked and found nothing to their liking, which is why they now aren't looking to make a change. That's not something they are going to admit though. If their current goalies are the only options, there's no point in undermining them by admitting that they've been looking for their replacement.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I will share a mind blowing stat that will show both the leafs and oilers are screwed. The last Stanley cup winning team to have a goalie start in most of there playoff games the year they won a cup that did not start their NHL career with that organization is 2007, giguere with Anaheim.

to clarify,the last 14 cup champs all had there playoff starter, start with there organization. So trading for a goalie is never going to work when trying to win lord Stanley’s mug

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Jake Allen isn’t an upgrade on any of the Leafs/Oilers current goalies, would be a waste of assets.

Are you Dubas or Holland and you really can't evaluate goaltending? He's definitely an upgrade over Mrazek, Smith and Koskinen. It's not even close.
Depends on which version of Campbell we're talking about but i've never seen Allen shaky like Soup is right now.

AdvancedPressure

Jan 19, 2021
Leafs should be. Campbell is shot. Early 2000's Dan Cloutier vibes. He is going to sewer the season for the Leafs if Dubas doesn't make a move here.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
It's easy for people to forget backups are backups for a reason. In most cases (including Greiss, Allen, and Broissot who have all been mentioned here), there is ample evidence showing their level of play as a starter. That is the reason they are backups.

Not a single one is an upgrade over Koskinen this season, nor should any team ever feel comfortable riding them to the playoffs.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Maybe both GM's know they need to up their game on D, and it's not always on the goalies?
Either way, these GM's teams have huge expectations, and both teams have first round exits written all over them.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
It's easy for people to forget backups are backups for a reason. In most cases (including Greiss, Allen, and Broissot who have all been mentioned here), there is ample evidence showing their level of play as a starter. That is the reason they are backups.

Not a single one is an upgrade over Koskinen this season, nor should any team ever feel comfortable riding them to the playoffs.
This is spot on. All of these goalies that make the NHL are great and the talent isnt as big of a difference as you may think. Its the guys that can handle the schedule that become starters. And the guys that can handle pressure and play bigger in those moments are the best of the starters. Edmonton and Toronto havent had a goalie steal them a game/series in the playoffs and sometimes you need it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad