Rumor: Leafs and Oilers will not be looking for a Goalie at the Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
While I agree the Leafs goaltending is bad, I will ask again….with the news of MAF asking not to be traded, who is Dubas trading for?
No one really and if thats how things work out, he shouldn't be moving assets out at all. It will probably also result in him being fired as well.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Leafs should be. Campbell is shot. Early 2000's Dan Cloutier vibes. He is going to sewer the season for the Leafs if Dubas doesn't make a move here.
For who? Who is the available upgrade that we would start in the playoffs over Campbell? And I say this as a guy that agreed that Soup has been trash lately…

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
If Jake Allen becomes available, Leafs and Oilers would be nuts to not go after him. He has been very good for us despite having a shit team in front. He certainly is a signifiant upgrade on anything Oilers and Leafs have and Im not bullshiting because Im a Habs fan, Allen is pretty legit.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
If Jake Allen becomes available, Leafs and Oilers would be nuts to not go after him. He has been very good for us despite having a shit team in front. He certainly is a signifiant upgrade on anything Oilers and Leafs have and Im not bullshiting because Im a Habs fan, Allen is pretty legit.
Leafs are a lock for the playoffs, they wouldn’t choose Allen to be the starter….so why would the waste assets on Allen. Yes, Leafs goalies have been trash lately, Allen isn’t the answer.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Has Koskinen's recent hot run taken away doubt for Holland to try and get a goalie.

Toronto is confident that Campbell is just in a funk?

Goaltending can easily sink any team in the post-season, this is a gamble gamble for both teams imo

So the Leafs and Oilers want to go out in the first round again then? Does not make sense to me but ok

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Not that stand out as obvious. All the the names I have heard are barely or not an upgrade on what the Oilers have. Just a lot of question marks like Giorgiev etc.
Agreed, so there is really no option but to ride it out and risk missing the playoffs or losing first round. Making a trade for a backup goaltender doesn't move the needle. Its just a defensive move.

There is always next season...

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Agreed, so there is really no option but to ride it out and risk missing the playoffs or losing first round. Making a trade for a backup goaltender doesn't move the needle. Its just a defensive move.

There is always next season...

Yeeaah, no. You have to try something even if it is a question mark. Throwing in the towel isn't an option, that's silly.

Future assets don't mean shit if McDrai leave. Trade them all.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yeeaah, no. You have to try something even if it is a question mark. Throwing in the towel isn't an option, that's silly.

Carey Price, 3M retained for Koskinen + Kassian + Bourgeault +2022 1st (unprotected) + Gretzky rookie card.

You want all-in - you got all-in!

p.s. Gretzky rookie card has to be in mint condition.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
For who? Who is the available upgrade that we would start in the playoffs over Campbell? And I say this as a guy that agreed that Soup has been trash lately…

If Dallas drops out of the race (admittedly unlikely) - Holtby.

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
It's easy for people to forget backups are backups for a reason. In most cases (including Greiss, Allen, and Broissot who have all been mentioned here), there is ample evidence showing their level of play as a starter. That is the reason they are backups.

Not a single one is an upgrade over Koskinen this season, nor should any team ever feel comfortable riding them to the playoffs.
I agree. As a Habs fan I don't get why some people are acting like Jake Allen is the answer for EDM or Toronto. He's good, but also proven himself to be inconsistent/streaky, (both in St. Louis and Montréal) which isn't great for a playoff run. He'd be a slight upgrade for the Leafs or Oilers, but not worth paying for.

Reactions: Just a Fan

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Dubas has done a great job. The big 4 contracts were a miss, I didn't like the Foligno trade last season and I felt Marner should've been moved in the off season but other than those 3 instances I truely believe the team is slowly transforming into a winner.

Holland has done very little and what he has done has actually made the team worse per $ spent. The Oilers tandem is the longest running tandem in the NHL and arguably it's worst.
The only contract right now that looks bad is Tavares, in my opinion. Marner and Matthews have been dominating on every shift it seems. Nylander is a good player and isn't overpaid. The Foligno trade was a dud, no question. I don't know what people want from Dubas, he's put together a great team on paper. At some point, it's on the players. Management can't go out and play the games.

Scrapy1980

Dec 25, 2016
Ontario
I agree. As a Habs fan I don't get why some people are acting like Jake Allen is the answer for EDM or Toronto. He's good, but also proven himself to be inconsistent/streaky, (both in St. Louis and Montréal) which isn't great for a playoff run. He'd be a slight upgrade for the Leafs or Oilers, but not worth paying for.

Leaf fan here, what I’ve seen the past few game it’s a little more then just goaltending the Toronto needs to get past the 1st round. I don’t understand why they play the dump in game when 60% of the time they lose control of the puck because they don’t have the players to go in hard to keep the play going. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: Stive Morgan

McVespa99

May 13, 2007

I dont agree. No point in throwing assets away for a ?. You could use those assets in the off-season if it comes to that to find a long term solution.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Dallas is in a race, and they aren’t even using Holtby as their starter, they’re using a rookie

I know they're in the thick of it, but if they suddenly tank and selling looks more palatable, Dallas would be looking at trading Holtby.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I dont agree. No point in throwing assets away for a ?. You could use those assets in the off-season if it comes to that to find a long term solution.
Im of the opinion that packing it in and looking at next season is far worse than making a move or two. How does doing nothing help at all? Do you really think the core is going to be content to "try again next year"?

Mid to late round picks and prospects won't mean jack in 2 to 4 seasons if the team takes a huge step back and misses this year. If they cant make any noise at all with both of McDrai then what does it matter who we draft with magic beans? This isn't wasting assets.

Sitting on your hands for another year and saying we'll try again later to McDrai is wasting assets. Thats a waste you won't ever recover from

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Jake Allen is definitely not the answer to the Oilers woes. But their GM might be desperate enough to think that he is!!

Reactions: Stive Morgan

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The only contract right now that looks bad is Tavares, in my opinion. Marner and Matthews have been dominating on every shift it seems. Nylander is a good player and isn't overpaid. The Foligno trade was a dud, no question. I don't know what people want from Dubas, he's put together a great team on paper. At some point, it's on the players. Management can't go out and play the games.

On a player like say the goalie ? Who's had a sub .890 svp since January 1st ? When your player is not performing well, especially your goaltender it's on the management to go out and fix the issue. If Dubas sticks to his guns and doesn't acquire a goaltender, we are out in the 1st round and I bet him and Shanahan are both fired after being eliminated.

Dubas still has not addressed the issues with physicality/grit and now refuses to address the goaltending concerns, it's on him. You can't expect a back up to go out and play like a legitimate starter, throwing your goalie into that kind of situation is 100% on Dubas. 0 complains from the 5 on 5 play, we dominate almost every single night but we routinely get garbage goaltending.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Now that MAF is staying as a hawk, Varlamov is by far the next best goalie that could be had by the deadline for not much. I’d be shocked if he isn’t dealt by the deadline. Leafs should be all over this. When he’s on, Varlamov is as good as any goalie in the NHL. And I think just one year left on his deal. It’s a low risk, high reward opportunity.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
M
I know they're in the thick of it, but if they suddenly tank and selling looks more palatable, Dallas would be looking at trading Holtby.
My point was, Dallas isn’t even trusting Holtby as a starter while fighting for a playoff spot….why would we trust him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad