Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This furthers the conspiracy that Clarkson is definitely a Leaf Juiy 5th. He would replace Frattin quite nicely.

Anyway, this trade is all right. We'll see soon how good or bad it is/was.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Lucic won't have rebound chances cause Bernier is capable of catching pucks and deflecting shots into the corners, also he has the composure to smother pucks, not flop around like a fish out of water.
Ok enough of this BS. Reimer was 6th in the league in SV% and was great all year... including stealing a couple playoff games for us.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think this is more important than people are giving credit.

Nonis has had both on his roster before, 2 yrs ago, and saw Bernier rise as the better starter.

Bernier is like Rask in a way, playing behind a Great goalie in Quick. I have always liked him.

For Nonis to get him at a relatively low price is remarkable. Goalies with this type of potential don't grow on trees.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Matt_Frattin/status/348853862125428736

Matt Frattin‏

@Matt_Frattin

Just want to thank @MapleLeafs for a first class experience to start my pro career. Very excited to join @LAKings

10:23 AM - 23 Jun 13

https://twitter.com/JenScrivs/status/348849219949457408

Jenny Scrivens‏

@JenScrivs

Thank you Toronto and the @MapleLeafs for making us feel at home the past 3 years. I'm sad to leave, but excited to move back home to LA.

10:05 AM - 23 Jun 13

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
First I'm happy that a 1st round pick from Toronto was not involved. Last summer when there was Bernier trade talk I heard that's what Dean Lombardi wanted.

Second I say this now 100% officially ends any chances of Roberto Luongo coming to Toronto, because with Reimer and Bernier the Leafs are set for their Goalies.

Finally I still see Reimer as the Leafs #1 Goalie because he's earned it based on his play from last season. However there is also nothing wrong with some competition from Bernier. Plus on nights when Reimer doesn't play at least the Leafs have a little more experience from their #2 Goalie.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
This really opens speculation on a deal for Reimer.

You do not need to be Bobby Mac to surmise a deal of Gardiner and Reimer to Edmonton would yield significant assets back, Gagner, #7th pick, + and +.

Like I said earlier this gives Nonis a big hand at the draft table and this summer. Big chips are in play.

Bernier outplayed Reimer to win the #1G position at the Worlds, and Nonis was the GM of that team.

LOL! dude when you have an opinion you just spam this forum with it in each thread.... Gardiner IMO isn't going anywhere. Will be a huge mistake rather Reilly is in the pipe line or not just to trade for a prospect that's 3 years away from living up to draft day hype if at all.

Much like this trade if the Leafs make a trade with Edmonton for the 7th pick in the draft it wont be as high as you and many others like to think. More in the likes of a Gunnarson, 21st and a prospect. The pick is #7 Edmonton has not #1;)

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
You can say the same thing about Bernier. Reimer is just as good as Crawford's buddy.

Fixed it for you, ;) and no, Reimer is not even close to as good as Crawford. Also Chicago can get away with having Crawford in net... Have you seen that lineup?

dr dangles

Sep 10, 2011
I feel like those here who are mad do not watch a lot of NHL hockey outside of their beloved leafs and the occasional Wednesday night Pittsburgh vs. Washington game. Reimer is not an NHL #1 and is not better than Bernier. Numbers won't say that, but watching them both with your eyes will. We got a potential top 5 player at his position for the next decade for what accumulates to spare parts.

This.

I think it's fair to say that Leaf fans may suffer from PTSD with Raycroft/Toscola/Gustafson...

I think that loyalty to Reims and Scivs as homegrown talent is totally admirable, but time will prove that this is a great deal for the future.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
We really need a good defenseman for the top pairing and this does nothing to address that. Bernier may very well be a better goalie but if Lucic is getting rebound after rebound attempt, he's still going to score.

Yeah, because Frattin & a 2nd is going to net us a legitimate top pairing defenceman. Can we please use our heads a little more?

Brilliant trade. Give up essentially a 2nd for a guy who has proper potential to be a great #1 goaltender. He has all the tools and has been getting poised to break out sitting behind an elite #1 on a cup winning team that is stacked full of character.

Frattin is irrelevant to the team really. We have better depth on the wing for the top 6, and quality prospects itching to get a shot in our bottom 6. Not to mention Biggs in a year or two. Frattin needed Kadri's offensive vision to do much of anything productive on the score sheet. Scrivens is just a back-up.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I watch the Kings quite often. Bernier could make Reimer expendable in a year or two. He's legit.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Ok enough of this BS. Reimer was 6th in the league in SV% and was great all year... including stealing a couple playoff games for us.

Facing a high volume of low percentage shots by a defence that did a decent job of giving him clean open looks at pucks all year.

K19*

Not sure how to feel about this.

I really liked Frattin. He was strong on his skates, finished checks, and had a nice scoring touch. That combination is something our team sorely lacks and makes our forward corps immediately weaker.

I'm glad it's not the 2013 2nd. That's a huge plus.

I liked Scrivens and think he was good for the locker room. But he seems like a perennial backup.

I don't know a lot about Bernier. He's a sub 6-footer though. I think this will affect Reimer's confidence, even if only slightly.

But if Bernier turns into a stud #1 then all is well.

jimmy1100

Feb 17, 2007
Colorado Springs
I know many of you don't think it now, but in a year there will be a ton of you celebrating this trade. Reimer's chances of being the #1 in Toronto ended today (barring injury). I don't mean that as a slight towards Reimer, but once you see how fundamentally sound Bernier is, you'll understand.

Good luck next season as I'll be rooting for Bernier to be highly successful with you guys and I truly believe that's exactly what you'll get!

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Reimer faces a TON more shots against so it's easy to keep sv% up compared to Bernier. Bernier had a 1.87GAA last season...

I have trouble understanding this logic. if you said he faced lower quality shots that might make some sense.

Crazy, crazy, crazy.

If no goalie controversy exists, the Leafs just go out and create one. I suppose that Reimer is next to move, you can't have two number one goalies. Anyone remember the Joseph/Potvin fiasco.

When we acquired a goalie who helped us return to stanley cup contention, and moved Potvin for Berard? I can deal with that kind of fiasco.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is the best thing we get back in this deal!! :)

Including Scrivens and extracting value by Nonis was also very good asset management.

Scrivens requires NHL waivers to go to the AHL and pushed into the #3 role by the Bernier acquisition, could\would likely have meant he was going to be lost for nothing soon enough.

His inclusion in the trade lowered the value of the pick making it a 2nd rounder whereas it might have been higher otherwise, as rumours suggest it was a 1st on the demand table.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
The only reason I see this trade making sense is if Nonis is confident we can replace Frattin with Clarkson this offseason...

But then again, watch him be overpaid and suck. He's not even that good, he just scores the most awkward goals ever.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
You guys got a damn good goalie, but I always have seen frattin being a incredible two way 40/50 point 2nd/3rd liner.

Overall, it's even right down the middle

Jacob8hockey*

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 33s
Leafs fans will love Jonathan Bernier. He is the real deal, folks. Believe you me.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Including Scrivens and extracting value by Nonis was also very good asset management.

Scrivens requires NHL waivers to go to the AHL and pushed into the #3 role by the Bernier acquisition, could\would likely have meant he was going to be lost for nothing soon enough.

His inclusion in the trade lowered the value of the pick making it a 2nd rounder whereas it might have been higher otherwise, as rumours suggest it was a 1st on the demand table.

I'm really pleased we kept our 1st. Can't help but think a rookie GM like poor Fergy would've given up the 1st.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Reimer's numbers last year are too good for a backup.

How close does Reimer + Gunnar get you to Edmonton's 7th?

Or Bernier + Gunnar.

I'd have shot for a Reimer+Emery combo next year (love the new attitude Emery), but it seemed clear that Nonis didn't believe in Reims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad