Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
My mind goes to opportunity cost. Not that I hate getting Bernier, but could the assets we gave up have been used as part of a package to get a forward, or move up in the draft?

I actually don't like giving up 1st or 2nd round draft picks, it seems to me that the teams that become contenders are the ones who are patient and build through the draft

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
I feel like those here who are mad do not watch a lot of NHL hockey outside of their beloved leafs and the occasional Wednesday night Pittsburgh vs. Washington game. Reimer is not an NHL #1 and is not better than Bernier. Numbers won't say that, but watching them both with your eyes will. We got a potential top 5 player at his position for the next decade for what accumulates to spare parts.

Lol potential doesn't mean ****. We potentially had one of the best defenses in the league a few years ago...and in reality it was one of our weak points. We potentially had a great steal with acquiring Raycroft and that turned out poorly too. And yes I've watched Reimer all last season and he was a strong point in an otherwise weak point of the Maple Leafs since Belfour left.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I like this deal, not to expensive, a major upgrade on Scrivens and competition for Reimer. This deal is an improvement in goaltending for the Leafs without giving up too much

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Liked Frattin, but not as much as you guys, really hoping we get Clarkson or Horton to replace his spot on the second/third line (depending where Kulemin plays).

Gonna miss Benny though, really liked him and thought he didn't deserve all the hate he got. Had a .915SV% this year and no one talked about it one bit.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Didn't want Bernier originally, but if Nonis is truly building the team from the net out, this is a good move. Good teams are built from the net out.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Ron Hextall discusses Bernier for Frattin & Scrivens Trade

Published on Jun 23, 2013

Kings Vision spoke with LA Kings Assistant GM Ron Hextall after the trade of goalie Jonathan Bernier to the Toronto Maple Leafs for right wing Matt Frattin, and goalie, Ben Scrivens.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Not to toot my own horn, and I think there were a few others here with similar sentiments, but I had this trade pretty much pegged as far as value. I knew there was no shot our 1st was in the discussion and it would be Frattin and a couple small add ins. Great Value IMO, now time to Move in on Edmonton's #7. (#21 + Gunnar or Franson)

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
good trade, potential #1 goalie for a career maybe nhl backup, 3rd liner, and a pick
Nonis trades a 2nd again lol

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Lucic won't have rebound chances cause Bernier is capable of catching pucks and deflecting shots into the corners, also he has the composure to smother pucks, not flop around like a fish out of water.

Not to mention Bernier is a better puck handler and will only get better.

Im late weighing in here but I like the move considering we dont give up a 1st, nor a top60 in this year's draft.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 33s
Leafs fans will love Jonathan Bernier. He is the real deal, folks. Believe you me.

if Pierre says so! :)

honestly, I don't think this is dooom. dooooooom!

Basically, this puts us in the drivers seat, and puts the onus on both goaltenders.

Scenario One:
Bernier wanted to be in a place to be the starter
Reimer wants to be the starter.

ergo: both are going to come into camp and put on a clinic, and I trust Carlyle to pick the better goaltender.

Win: Leafs.

Scenario Two:
look at teams that either
A: wanted Bernier
or b: will accept Reimer
and nab a high quality player. that helps centre/defense/speciality team

Scenario Three:
Reimer IS the number one goaltender
Reimer gets hurt
Bernier steps up and steals show.

worst case scenario:
ONE of them craps the bed.
ONE steps up.
We continue to win games.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/212573481.html

The Wild has conducted trade talks with the Los Angeles Kings regarding goalie Jonathan Bernier, league sources confirmed. In a season-ending meeting with Kings GM Dean Lombardi, Bernier was promised a chance to become a No. 1 goalie elsewhere.

Bernier, a restricted free agent, recently fired his agent and hired Pat Brisson, who has several high-profile clients. The Kings would like to trade Bernier before the June 30 draft in Newark, N.J.

“Dean is down to a few teams, and I know he has the right intentions for Jonathan,” Brisson said Friday.

Kings assistant GM Ron Hextall and goalie coach Bill Ranford, both former successful NHL goalies, believe Bernier has the ability to be a No. 1 goalie, so Los Angeles is looking for significant value.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
Not to toot my own horn, and I think there were a few others here with similar sentiments, but I had this trade pretty much pegged as far as value. I knew there was no shot our 1st was in the discussion and it would be Frattin and a couple small add ins. Great Value IMO, now time to Move in on Edmonton's #7. (#21 + Gunnar or Franson)

Been hearing our 21st and Gunnar for Edmonton's pick, would love that trade but do you think Edmonton would bite?

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
JVR - Weiss - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
MacArthur - Grabovski - Kulemin
Orr - Mcclement - Marlies person

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Ranger - Liles
Franson - Gardiner

Bernier
Reimer

Crimson King

Feb 1, 2009
ontario
I like this deal, not to expensive, a major upgrade on Scrivens and competition for Reimer. This deal is an improvement in goaltending for the Leafs without giving up too much

this exactly. it is a bit of a slap in the face to reimer. but having multiple good goalies cannot be a bad thing.......unless youre vancouver

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Are you crazy? As good as Reimer was this season, it was only a 48 game season. He **** the bed in the 3rd plus OT of game 7. Not saying he's not our guy, but having someone like Bernier for competition is amazing.

How was OT Reimer's fault or most of game 7 for that matter?

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Reimer's numbers last year are too good for a backup.

How close does Reimer + Gunnar get you to Edmonton's 7th?

Or Bernier + Gunnar.

I'd have shot for a Reimer+Emery combo next year (love the new attitude Emery), but it seemed clear that Nonis didn't believe in Reims.

No thanks, I rather keep Reimer and Bernier for 1-2 years and see how it pans out. at worst, reimer/bernier for a 2nd rounder

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Hating it. Why give these assets up for another Reimer? There are much bigger holes to fill than the non-existent "back-up goaltender" hole.

Bernier is not another Reimer. Reimer is a technical, big goalie who relies on his ability to stay big when in butterfly. Bernier is more of a hybrid goalie with quick reflexes. So even though their numbers may be similar, that's where it ends.

Should be an interesting season if both are still with the Leafs.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Lol potential doesn't mean ****. We potentially had one of the best defenses in the league a few years ago...and in reality it was one of our weak points. We potentially had a great steal with acquiring Raycroft and that turned out poorly too. And yes I've watched Reimer all last season and he was a strong point in an otherwise weak point of the Maple Leafs since Belfour left.

Strong in comparison to what the Leafs have had or in comparison to the top teams in the league? also what else did you expect to get for the pieces given up? Also, if your saying potential means squat then Colorado should give us the #1 for Grabovski cause he's already a top 6 Centre and Barkov or MacK are only potential #1C? not to be rude, but that comment is asinine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad