Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I know many of you don't think it now, but in a year there will be a ton of you celebrating this trade. Reimer's chances of being the #1 in Toronto ended today (barring injury). I don't mean that as a slight towards Reimer, but once you see how fundamentally sound Bernier is, you'll understand.

Good luck next season as I'll be rooting for Bernier to be highly successful with you guys and I truly believe that's exactly what you'll get!

How is Bernier's glove and rebound control?

Reimer's glove has improved but his rebound control still needs work...but I think his rebound control is bad because the Leafs give up far too many shots.

frantiq

Mar 21, 2010
T.
Hopefully Frattin doesn't turn out to be the next Dustin Brown and Scrivens as the next Rask - knowing the leafs luck :laugh:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm really pleased we kept our 1st. Can't help but think a rookie GM like poor Fergy would've given up the 1st.

Not only rookie GMs in Toronto, regrettably :( traded away high 1st round picks in the past.

Us draft junkies might be even more pleased when we hear Nonis by keeping the Leafs 1st round pick in this trade, is now attempting to move up in the draft to improve the quality of the prospect.

Sean Monahan would look good in a Leaf jersey. :wg:

Jmac1160*

Was hoping just frattin + 2nd and then trade scribbles for a second to Edmonton. But whatever

Good luck getting a 2nd for a great AHL goalie or an average back up in scrivens. I guess the Canadiens can get 2 first round picks for Budaj then

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
How is Bernier's glove and rebound control?

Reimer's glove has improved but his rebound control still needs work...but I think his rebound control is bad because the Leafs give up far too many shots.

Both are top notch. And he's super quiet in net, make things look easy type.

Jacob8hockey*

Hopefully Frattin doesn't turn out to be the next Dustin Brown and Scrivens as the next Rask - knowing the leafs luck :laugh:

Id say Leaf management traded Frattin expecting him to reaching a 25 goal scorer, whether he does or not.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
How was OT Reimer's fault or most of game 7 for that matter?

Really? have we all not been down this road before? 3 of the 4 goals in that comeback were what you could easily qualify as the goalies fault. watch those again and hopefully you'll see it.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
despite what everyone says, we dont need an upgrade on the blueline... We have a really talented young blue line... With Rielly Gardiner Phaneuf Franson Fraser Gunner Holzer Percy Finn Blacker i think our blue line is just fine. Also Ranger possibly joining our team is a bonus. If Rielly doesnt crack the squad this year then he will the next, hes that good. Liles will just play this year if Rielly doesnt make it, if he does Liles will be traded. Buying out Grabo and Komi seems to be a no brainer, but we might wanna just wait out Komis final year and save the buyout for Liles if no one wants him.

Our blue line is skilled, our forward group has holes but its still a skilled group, Reimers good and i like him as a #1 goalie, but goaltending was our biggest ? skill wise. Now this team is truely built from the net out. Great goalie tandem who both have different skill sets that could possibly work better against different teams with different styles. For example Reimer could be better against cycling teams like the Bruins because of his strength in tight to save pucks in tight. And Bernier could be better against rush/skill teams who are looking to snipe.

I believe that our forward group is the only area where we should be looking to improve, and not nessecarily all by trade and FA, some of our young guys could fill a spot on that 3rd line. D'amigo Ross Biggs and Ashton come to mind. I see Ashton as more of a fill in for 4th line/3rd line duties, but if he can generate more offense off the cycle he could be a really good 3rd line because hes a tremendous 2 way player who is fantastic on the forecheck. Hes got a big shot too, lots of speed. He just needs to figure out a way to score off the cycle once he gets in on the forecheck. I really like Ashton and Biggs on the 3rd line with a quicker guy with really good foot speed in between them with good hands/smart disher. I think Bozak would be a good 3rd liner. But the guy i really want is on another team, with Chicago surely wanting to resign Brian Bickell, they might get rid of Bolland, and he would look really nice on our 3rd line. As for the 2nd line winger job, Clarkson seems like the perfect fit, but Nonis might have another player in mind, we dont have many assets to trade though, i would think any trade that goes down would have to include any of Blacker/Colborne/Kulemin. I dont see any one else with value who is expandable at this point.

Feb 24, 2004
To land a potential beast goalie for spare parts is a no brainer. I mean sure, Frattin is a solid player but as many have mentioned he's easily replaceable within the system. Bernier has the potential to be one of the better goalies in the NHL and at one time was considered the best goaltending prospect in the world. This deal is cheddar for us. To maintain our 1st rounder is just added bonus. We'll be laughing one day about this.

Matt Frattin is just as much a spare part as Jonathan Bernier. Neither is proven.

I also find it humorous that people just magically forget that cap space is an asset also - far less flexibility now.

Finally - I'm sure I'll have to repeat these stats again, but take a look at these stats:

Vesa Toskala, prior to Leafs acquisition: 5 seasons, 914 Save Pct, 2.15 GAA
Jonathan Bernier, prior to Leafs acquisition: 5 seasons, 912 Save Pct, 2.19 GAA

The only difference? Bernier has played 62 games. Toskala had played 114 games by the time we acquired him. So there probably is a better case to be made for Toskala continuing that play based on the sample size.

Different Leafs GM. Same stupid mistakes.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Reimer is as good as gone, I like the guy, but this trade pretty much has put it out there with GM's. You want goaltending, speak to me Dave Nonis. You want to trade your pick, speak to me Nonis.

I have assets in Gardiner < Rielly
Reimer < Bernier

to make it happen.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
I really like Bernier and hope he brings you guys success. It was clear all year that Nonis wasn't happy with his tandem. I don't think Reimer lasts more than a season. They might split this year, but beyond that, this should be Bernier's team. If not, it was a waste of a trade. I never liked how easily Nonis gave away second rounders in Vancouver. It helped kill our prospect pool. They have more value than most people will give them credit. Go 3-4 seasons without them and see how good your prospect pool sits. For your sake, I hope he is less inclined to do this. The other worry is the loss of now both Frattin and Komarov. Those two were excellent depth players on your roster this year. Your bottom six is so important to success in the NHL now, I hope other guys are ready to take on those roles. On this board, people tend to think its easy to fill in your bottom two lines, yet there are only a handful of teams that really have great depth and they tend to be the upper echelon of the league.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Well, expect top notch goaltending from now on. Whether its Reimer or Bernier or both, I expect the goaltending to be one of our biggest strengths and give us a chance to win against any team on any given night.

TOG26

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Unless you get Mac back for less then 2mill a year, this is a dumb trade. Frattin was a perfect cheap replacement for the third line with the cap going down. Also Scrivens played good enough to be our backup.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
No thanks, I rather keep Reimer and Bernier for 1-2 years and see how it pans out. at worst, reimer/bernier for a 2nd rounder

Reimer's numbers last year are too good for a backup.

How close does Reimer + Gunnar get you to Edmonton's 7th?

Or Bernier + Gunnar.

I'd have shot for a Reimer+Emery combo next year (love the new attitude Emery), but it seemed clear that Nonis didn't believe in Reims.

I would definitely make the trade, Reimer and Gunnar for probably Monahan in the draft. Good move if Edmonton would take the trade

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Matt Frattin is just as much a spare part as Jonathan Bernier. Neither is proven.

I also find it humorous that people just magically forget that cap space is an asset also - far less flexibility now.

Finally - I'm sure I'll have to repeat these stats again, but take a look at these stats:

Vesa Toskala, prior to Leafs acquisition: 5 seasons, 914 Save Pct, 2.15 GAA
Jonathan Bernier, prior to Leafs acquisition: 5 seasons, 912 Save Pct, 2.19 GAA

The only difference? Bernier has played 62 games. Toskala had played 114 games by the time we acquired him. So there probably is a better case to be made for Toskala continuing that play based on the sample size.

Different Leafs GM. Same stupid mistakes.

Maybe you should just cheer for another team if everything they do you consider stupid :laugh:

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I would definitely make the trade, Reimer and Gunnar for probably Monahan in the draft. Good move if Edmonton would take the trade

And then Bernier craps the bed, who do you play?

I would keep both goalies for a while and allow one to emerge as a true #1G with no question marks, then trade the other.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Loving this trade, losing Frattin sucks but all that does is solidify the fact that Nonis is going to go hard after a 3rd line winger such as Clarkson, Bickell and the likes now that we have lost two big physical guys in Komarov and Frattin. Maybe even Horton if he can't be resigned by the Bs.

Good on Nonis, he might not pan out but Frattin was replaceable and he kept the option on the second rounder so I feel pretty good about this. Scrivens in my opinion is barely a capable back up to be honest. Hes a great guy but sadly not as great a goalie.

Overall Toronto won the trade, LA did right by Bernier and got back a pretty good third line winger that will play great hockey with Mike Richards and they have a second rounder which could turn into anything. Wouldnt surprise me if LA goes and gets another vet to back up quick but probably not since he can play 90% of the games no problem.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
Not only rookie GMs in Toronto, regrettably :( traded away high 1st round picks in the past.

Us draft junkies might be even more pleased when we hear Nonis by keeping the Leafs 1st round pick in this trade, is now attempting to move up in the draft to improve the quality of the prospect.

Sean Monahan would look good in a Leaf jersey. :wg:

Definitley

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Been hearing our 21st and Gunnar for Edmonton's pick, would love that trade but do you think Edmonton would bite?

Not claiming to have ANY sources, merely speculation but I could see MacT entertaining something along those lines. Gunnar provides them a stable LHD in their top 4 and #21 still gives them a tradable asset or an another young player to sock away on an ELC for when the team becomes competitive. Leafs might have to add another small + (swapping our 2nd for their 3rd)

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
The only reason I see this trade making sense is if Nonis is confident we can replace Frattin with Clarkson this offseason...

But then again, watch him be overpaid and suck. He's not even that good, he just scores the most awkward goals ever.

Frattin has potential, but in terms of the role he actually played last year, it doesn't really need replacing.

91Kadri91*

I'm very pleased.

To my surprise, the Leafs were able to keep their first in this trade. If the Leafs had been unable to do so, I would have been slightly dismayed, but that's (thankfully) irrelevant now.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Loving this trade, losing Frattin sucks but all that does is solidify the fact that Nonis is going to go hard after a 3rd line winger such as Clarkson, Bickell and the likes now that we have lost two big physical guys in Komarov and Frattin. Maybe even Horton if he can't be resigned by the Bs.

Good on Nonis, he might not pan out but Frattin was replaceable and he kept the option on the second rounder so I feel pretty good about this. Scrivens in my opinion is barely a capable back up to be honest. Hes a great guy but sadly not as great a goalie.

Overall Toronto won the trade, LA did right by Bernier and got back a pretty good third line winger that will play great hockey with Mike Richards and they have a second rounder which could turn into anything. Wouldnt surprise me if LA goes and gets another vet to back up quick but probably not since he can play 90% of the games no problem.

I like Frattin also, but think he was a 3rd line guy ultimately. We are trading potential for potential, and Bernier is the highest potential impact player of the trade.

Makes Nonis a big winner in my books. If he follows it up by getting Monahan or Lindholm, then he may just be the big winner of the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad