Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Reasons to like the trade:

Reimer has gotten injured the past couple of years. Scrivens was adequate as the backup early on in the year when he was in game shape due to playing in the AHL. But as the season wore on, Scrivens was less impressive. We were one Reimer injury away from being in serious trouble.

Reasons to dislike the trade:

We really need a good defenseman for the top pairing and this does nothing to address that. Bernier may very well be a better goalie but if Lucic is getting rebound after rebound attempt, he's still going to score.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Without Scrivens though, we'd need a backup.

Also, id like to keep Reimer. Neither Bernier nor Reimer are guaranteed longterm NHL quality starters. Keeping both is just good for insurance purposes.

I see a Cujo / Potvin scenario in play here, deal from strength. I have always been high on Bernier; I like Reimer and would have been happy with him next season; however Nonis is clearly making moves. I love this trade. Because it gives us so many options to deal moving fwd. Ideally the Edmonton pick and Gagner coming to Toronto. The additional assets that Edmonton will have to include is just gravy. A 2nd rd pick or a prospect.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Good post.

Reimer is quite good at lateral movement, good down low. But terrible rebound control and a bad glove.

Bernier wont give up the big juicy rebounds night in and night out and has a better glove hand. Similar to Reimer though, he's not the best puck handler. But thats really a "luxury" when it comes to goaltending.

Its almost a mute point in today's nhl with the trapezoid. All you have to do in today's nhl as a goalie is stop the puck behind the night and shovel it to a d if need be. 12 year olds can do that.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
This really opens speculation on a deal for Reimer.

You do not need to be Bobby Mac to surmise a deal of Gardiner and Reimer to Edmonton would yield significant assets back, Gagner, #7th pick, + and +.

Like I said earlier this gives Nonis a big hand at the draft table and this summer. Big chips are in play.

Bernier outplayed Reimer to win the #1G position at the Worlds, and Nonis was the GM of that team.

I think this is more important than people are giving credit.

Nonis has had both on his roster before, 2 yrs ago, and saw Bernier rise as the better starter.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I hope we don't trade Reimer. As high as Bernier's supposed potential is, he's still unproven, more so than Reimer.

We need to hold on to both and see who emerges as our #1.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Hopefully reimer and bernier will be a good tandem. I don't want reimer to lose his starter job, he can be the real deal. But if bernier is as good as kings fans say he is, I wouldn't mind them sharing the job.

I still can't help but think that scrivy could've been something great. If only we saw him next season, more improved and experienced.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I like the trade.... we have two potential franchise goalies... one of them is bound to hit that potential now right?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I feel like those here who are mad do not watch a lot of NHL hockey outside of their beloved leafs and the occasional Wednesday night Pittsburgh vs. Washington game. Reimer is not an NHL #1 and is not better than Bernier. Numbers won't say that, but watching them both with your eyes will. We got a potential top 5 player at his position for the next decade for what accumulates to spare parts.

VO5

Jul 2, 2006
Leafs Nation
****, not sure how I feel about this. I always liked Frattin.

Hope this doesn't impact Reimer's confidence, although I'm sure they talked to him about it.

Its good healthy competition for Reimer and Bernier.... I like Frattin as well, he had the knee issue the past season that hampered him a bit.

Logic

This is the way
Aug 8, 2012
P.E.I.
Really like this trade, sad to see Frattin go but he's replaceable and I think Bernier has the potential to be a solid starter in the future.

AlmightyPO

Dec 13, 2009
London
I don't think any good "upgrades" will come at a cheap cost such as the one for Bernier. Frattin + 2nd + Scrivens will not get us a #2C or #1D which we need.

We don't need any more middle-class dman (we already have a good group- Gunnar/Franson/Liles).

a true #1C would have cost us our first/gardiner and more. Not a price people would be willing to pay.

hopefully FA will get us Briere/Weiss and that #1D.

Our goalie situation is pretty steady now. Look back at our tantems over the years and people can clearly see why we need an upgrade at our G position. If Reimer busts (injury/playing), we will have no one ready and we will NOT make the playoffs. Our goalie depth is depleted.
2009: Toskala/Giguere
2010: Giguere/Gustavsson/Reimer
2011: Riemer/Gustavsson
2012: Riemer/Scrivens

There were stretches when Reimer played terrible and we certainly can't have that if we're going to the playoffs. No more 18-wheeler going off the cliffs.
Yes, I agree most of our top needs would not have been met with a trade involving Frattin, 2nd, Scrivens as the centre pieces. However they all could have acted as complimentary pieces to any trade, and are now all assets gone to fill a position that was not exactly a weak point last year.

Raptactics29

Mar 28, 2007
London, Ontario
To land a potential beast goalie for spare parts is a no brainer. I mean sure, Frattin is a solid player but as many have mentioned he's easily replaceable within the system. Bernier has the potential to be one of the better goalies in the NHL and at one time was considered the best goaltending prospect in the world. This deal is cheddar for us. To maintain our 1st rounder is just added bonus. We'll be laughing one day about this.

Maccer

Bring back Pat!!
Mar 10, 2013
Leafs Nation
Reimer is not a potential franchise goalie. None of the final four teams in the playoffs this year would want him as their goalie, and that includes Pitts.

You can say the same thing about Bernier. Reimer is just as good as Crawford buddy.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
Look at the Team Canada goalie controversy over the past few years at the World Jrs. Those guys are a bit younger but they're also world class goalies who get caught up in the media generated hoopla over who's going to start. That stuff can eat away at a guy. I'm not saying Reimer is going to crash and burn, I'm just saying I don't see why we need to trade assets to shore up a position that was one of our strong points last season.

I agree

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
I feel like those here who are mad do not watch a lot of NHL hockey outside of their beloved leafs and the occasional Wednesday night Pittsburgh vs. Washington game. Reimer is not an NHL #1 and is not better than Bernier. Numbers won't say that, but watching them both with your eyes will. We got a potential top 5 player at his position for the next decade for what accumulates to spare parts.

Agreed. Maybe not top 5. I see consistent top 10 with years sprinkled in of top 5 and maybe a vezina. This is the G equivelant of the Phaneuf trade IMO.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wonder how much influence new Leaf exec Tim Lieweke had in this outcome?

His former connections to LA would suggest it certainly exists.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Every time scrivens was in net I was always really nervous. Bernier, although unproven, has a lot more upside and hopefully he'll be more stable in net than scrivens was

Scrivens was pretty nervous too... :laugh:

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Reasons to like the trade:

Reimer has gotten injured the past couple of years. Scrivens was adequate as the backup early on in the year when he was in game shape due to playing in the AHL. But as the season wore on, Scrivens was less impressive. We were one Reimer injury away from being in serious trouble.

Reasons to dislike the trade:

We really need a good defenseman for the top pairing and this does nothing to address that. Bernier may very well be a better goalie but if Lucic is getting rebound after rebound attempt, he's still going to score.

Lucic won't have rebound chances cause Bernier is capable of catching pucks and deflecting shots into the corners, also he has the composure to smother pucks, not flop around like a fish out of water.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Reimer is not a potential franchise goalie. None of the final four teams in the playoffs this year would want him as their goalie, and that includes Pitts.
Just like before the trade, there is no reason to believe Bernier has a higher ceiling than Reimer. The reason for this trade is that the Leafs now have 2 young, promising goaltenders to push each other.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think I like this a lot. I need time to digest this.

Personally, I think you always need to have a goaltender that's better than your average backup. I liked Scrivens, and he played well, when the team played well - but Toronto, I personally feel is always going to be that kind of market, where you die by your goaltender and live by your goaltender. Ergo: when the team starts to play horrendously, we NEED the goaltender to stop the bleeding. Scrivens had the tendency to let in that ONE goal that would make the difference between winning and losing (you know, that ONE goal you need to have back).

Reimer has the better tendency to make that save but he still struggles. [and i LIKE him, don't get me wrong]. But the writing was on the wall for ages - first the Luongo rumours, then the Kippersoff whispers, and according to the ass. GM of LA, this was "months" in the making.

Ergo: Scrivens/Reimer (or both) were probably always on their way out. Because there are going to be some goaltenders that are going to be bought out, and if there is a quality vet guy out there, I see Nonis getting one, and then... well. (shrug). a week till draft weekend...

Feb 24, 2004
Anytime you can trade young, controllable assets that seem to have potential for a goalie that might be better than the one you have - and still have to pay a contract to take you much closer to the cap, that's a move you have to make.

On the bright side, at least Colton Orr will have less competition for his spot on the fourth line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad