Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't like this AT ALL. if it was frattin and someone else and a pick I would be fine with it

But we haven't even seen what scrivens can do. It was his first year and he's only played a handful of games. He will be a great nhl goalie.

Bernier is an upgrade over Scrivens. He's not a factor in this deal at all IMO.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Jeff Veillette ‏@Jeffler 6s

Calling an 8x8 Bozak extension next

He's losing it.... We must have gotten a steal

PoisonMushroom

I'm a fungi!
Mar 8, 2006
I really don't like the idea of giving up Frattin, I think he'll be a solid NHL sniper. And why do we continue to chip away at Reimer's confidence when he's showing he can be a #1? Ugh, this team never learns.

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
The only way i can deal with this trade is if we sign Clarkson at a cap friendly long-term deal....then the loss of Frattin + 2nd is mitigated.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jonathan is a very promising talented young goalie and good teams are built from the goalie out, therefore this is a move in the right direction for the organization.

Bernier is a RFA so does need a new contract first, but even combined with Reimer ($1.8 mil) Leafs will have a young cap friendly tandem in net.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
Leafs Acquire Bernier

Leafs get Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens and 2nd round pick in 2014 or 2015. Good trade??????

I am not overjoyed, why focus on goaltending when we have Reimer and Scrivens as a decent backup? Why not forward where we need help?

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I really don't think a lot of you realize how great of a goalie you just got. There are plenty of people here in LA that still the Bernier was never given a proper chance. We love Quick for obvious reasons but mark my words, this guy has Vezina and Conn Smythe potential depending on how the team plays in front of him.

I will be rooting for you.

Last edited:

DjD4GGR

Jun 15, 2010
Gatineau, Quebec
I like the trade. I'm still not sold on Reimer playing a full season so this adds insurance competition and a higher chance of an elite goaltender in Toronto. Remember Reimer has been getting injured pretty often so this is a great trade for the leafs. I will miss Frattin but I feel he is easily replaceable. I guess this means we will go hard after David Clarkson this summer so if we do sign him think of it as Clarkson bernier for Frattin Scrivens and a 2nd

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Assets: His reflexes are first-rate and cat-like. Plays with supreme confidence when tending goal. Can steal a game all on his own, and is also capable of shaking off bad goals.

Flaws: Needs to play with more focus, so as to diminish the number of bad goals allowed. Can get into slumps where he starts fighting the puck. Lacks consistency, overall.

Career Potential: Talented goaltender with good upside.

KINGS fan here i disagree a bit with the flaws, Bernier plays with tons of focus but the bad goals came when we lost both greene and mitchell and had muzzin and ellerby replace them.

his strengths are accurate but one thing to include is that the kid is a leader and i would be shocked if your LEAFS dont make a strong playoff run next season and seasons after.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
Watching all the comments, I just hope we don't look back in 3-4 years laughing ans shaking our heads, thinking we had a good trade. Happened too many times. Please hockey gods, give us a home-run trade. Please make it so we are shocked and ecstatic that we got him so cheap.

Remember when we traded Rask for a Calder trophy winner; Raycroft which was suppose to be steal for the Leafs. Today Rask is playing in the SCF and Raycroft is playing in Italy :laugh:

I have a feeling Nonis will trade Reimer somewhere out in the west and he'll turn into a solid tender and the Leafs would stil be looking for goaltending upgrade 2 seasons from now. I hope i'm wrong. Welcome to Toronto Bernier.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 13s
Career save percentages in NHL: Reimer .915, Bernier .912, Scrivens .910. In AHL: Reimer .920, Bernier .927, Scrivens .923.

Food for thought.

Reimer faces a TON more shots against so it's easy to keep sv% up compared to Bernier. Bernier had a 1.87GAA last season...

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I think Frattin is a "safe" player in terms of potential and could very well end up being a consistent 20 Goal Scorer in LA beside Kopitar and Richards. Really a dime a dozen type of player that can be acquired through Free Agency as of this off-season.

Frattin doesn't have that sort of support up the middle in the Leafs organization and is buried behind the likes of Lupul, Kessel, JVR and even Kulemin. He's got to move on to move his own game to the next level, and many fans may freak out if/when he scores 20 next year on a line with Richards or Kopitar.

But I believe the Leafs won in terms of the "highest" ceiling player.

Bernier is extremely confident in his crease, handles the puck better, controls his rebounds better, squares up well and just oozes confidence that rubs off on his defenders.

I am absolutely not going to worry about "numbers" since Carlyle runs a completely different system, and am eagerly anticipating to see what Bernier can do in a Randy C system.

I think Bernier comes out on top in camp, and is a real threat of being a Top young goaltender in this league.

Great low-risk/high-reward type of deal we have grown to love in recent Leafs history.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Very happy with this deal.

The Leafs could not pin their hopes on Reimer alone again this season. He's got a history of injuries and while last year was impressive, is no 'sure-thing.' We needed another goalie and having two of the best young netminders in the entire league battle for the Number 1 spot puts the Leafs in a great position moving forward. I look forward to see what Bernier can do in the blue and white and to see if he can capture that potential that got him drafted 11th overall in 2006.

To get, you have to give though. I'm sad to see Frattin go, as if he finds some consistency, he could be a very good 2nd line winger. Scrivens, too, if only for his unique personality. Wish them both the best in LA.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
The three most important aspects of a team are #1 C, #1D and #1G. As much as some people love Reimer, he's not a #1 Goalie, and I doubt he'd ever be. He looks great with a high volume of shots but did he ever look great in OT in the playoffs? Did he ever look great and make the big save with a 2,3 goal lead? What we got here is a potential #1 guy here, for a bunch of scraps (similar to the Dion deal). Losing frattin may suck, but we'll get a frattin type guy back in a year or two when Reimer is traded...

MyLeafsForever

Jul 8, 2010
Thunder Bay, Canada
Crazy, crazy, crazy.

If no goalie controversy exists, the Leafs just go out and create one. I suppose that Reimer is next to move, you can't have two number one goalies. Anyone remember the Joseph/Potvin fiasco.

Is Bernier an upgrade in net? Over the past four years the stats look like this...

Bernier: GP: 58 GA: 120 GAA: 2.07 W: 28 L: 17 T: 6 SVs: 1315 SV%: .916
Reimer: GP: 104 GA: 263 GAA: 2.52 W: 53 L: 32 T: 14 SVs: 2840 SV%: .915

The stats suggest otherwise... The Leafs were clearly the worse team defensively between the Kings and Leafs, and yet Reimer posted identical numbers making 27 saves per game vs 22 saves per game for Bernier.

Was goaltending the real position that needed to be addressed?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I don't know if Nonis think Bernier is necessarily better then Reimer at this point.

But Nonis knew by the deadline he at least needed a platoon to play with Reimer when he tried but failed to land Kipper.

Reimer played well for us but nobody can honestly say that he would perform be a workhorse 65+ game goalie like Rinne, King Henry which is why we need a 1A/1B solution like Chicago has.

nc

Jul 25, 2010
What was wrong with Scrivens? We really could have used those assets elsewhere.

Every time scrivens was in net I was always really nervous. Bernier, although unproven, has a lot more upside and hopefully he'll be more stable in net than scrivens was

TOG26

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
What a waste of assets. Frattin was a perfect cheap fit for the 3rd line, and Scrivens proved he could be a good backup. Why waste cheap assets for an RFA who has never been a starter in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad