Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

garyjones93

Jun 2, 2012
Watching all the comments, I just hope we don't look back in 3-4 years laughing ans shaking our heads, thinking we had a good trade. Happened too many times. Please hockey gods, give us a home-run trade. Please make it so we are shocked and ecstatic that we got him so cheap.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
If Bernier ever reaches his potential this will be an amazing trade for the leafs.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
I love it. For those hating losing Frattin, he was nothing more than a third liner. For thosing saying he's just another Reimer, Berniers ceiling is a lot higher than Riemers.

Also Reimer still has yet to establish himself as a guy your have complete confidence in. This gives healthy competition and we will be able to move one down the road once one is established.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I don't like it. This move makes Reimer a little more nervous about his job security after just being essentially told last season that he was the for sure #1 guy. I also really like Matt Frattin, he could easily blossom into a 20+ goal scorer.
If this makes Reimer nervous, then add one more reason why he isn't #1 quality in this league.

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Value wise this is a good deal, but I think those assets could have been better spent filling our bigger needs (Big minute DFD-man or upgrade at centre).

I don't think any good "upgrades" will come at a cheap cost such as the one for Bernier. Frattin + 2nd + Scrivens will not get us a #2C or #1D which we need. Frattin is a stalberg-like prospect. Would we miss him? Yes a little.

We don't need any more middle-class dman (we already have a good group- Gunnar/Franson/Liles).

a true #1C would have cost us our first/gardiner and more. Not a price people would be willing to pay.

hopefully FA will get us Briere/Weiss and that #1D.

Our goalie situation is pretty steady now. Look back at our tantems over the years and people can clearly see why we need an upgrade at our G position. If Reimer busts (injury/playing), we will have no one ready and we will NOT make the playoffs. Our goalie depth is depleted.
2009: Toskala/Giguere
2010: Giguere/Gustavsson/Reimer
2011: Riemer/Gustavsson
2012: Riemer/Scrivens

There were stretches when Reimer played terrible and we certainly can't have that if we're going to the playoffs. No more 18-wheeler going off the cliffs.

Last edited:

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Honestly we gave up nothing special for some one who can very special. This guy has #1 written all over him. Amazing reflexes, poise in the net, can CATCH THE PUCK, and has been on a Stanley Cup winning team. It does matter here, folks.

Sure Frattin brought some nice speed and a decent shot, but he has tunnel vision at times and sometimes he seems really lost out there. I felt like he needed Kadri on his line in order to produce properly offensively. I hope he gets time with the Kings but I really don't see this as a lost to either side. We both got what we needed.

I liked Frattin but mostly cause he was cheap. He's a 3rd liner who has an outside shot at being a 2nd line quality winger. People forget that he's already 25 so we aren't talking about some 19 or 20 year old who needs to get stronger to play or more mature.

I like this deal for the Leafs cause they get the player with far higher upside and we as Leaf fans who had to suffer through terrible goaltending after Cujo/Belfour should know how important and how goaltending is the most impactful player.

Reimer performed well last season but the season before we absolutely collapsed and missed the playoffs largely due to goaltending cause Reimer never recovered from his concussion and Gus flat out sucked.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Bernier will be a stud for us, worry not Leaf fans. I'm extremely confident he'll be our future #1 for years to come, and at worst, a #1B to Reimer by next season. This is a great deal for us and a clear upgrade. Reimer's been solid for us but insurance in net and being "adequate" sometimes isn't enough when you want to build a cup team.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
No info on Bernier in here? How is he handling the puck? What are his strengths and weaknesses?

Assets: His reflexes are first-rate and cat-like. Plays with supreme confidence when tending goal. Can steal a game all on his own, and is also capable of shaking off bad goals.

Flaws: Needs to play with more focus, so as to diminish the number of bad goals allowed. Can get into slumps where he starts fighting the puck. Lacks consistency, overall.

Career Potential: Talented goaltender with good upside.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I do like the deal in terms of what we got. The Nonis/Burke plan seems to be retroactively rebuilding the Leafs with high end talent from the mid 2000s drafts:

2006: Phil Kessel
2007: James van Riemsdyk, Jonathan Bernier
2008: Jake Gardiner
2009: Nazem Kadri
2010: none
2011: Biggs, Percy
2012: Rielly

Frattin was pretty good but we do have Biggs, Leivo in the pipeline who could do similar things. The 2nd rounder hurts a little, and Scrivens is a decent player but we're a lot deeper in net now.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Posted this package yesterday on the main board as it made the most sense for both.

Nonis thinks Bernier is an upgrade on Reimer. I'm not convinced, but we don't give up anything that we can't replace.

Frattin is the big loss and he's behind other more highly touted players development wise in his age group and younger. But for LA he can be a top 9 forward who can score 20 goals for 900k and they control him as an RFA.

Scrivens is a fine option as Quick's backup as someone with experience and a league minimum cap hit. As a UFA he might get a #1 job somewhere if he can put up good numbers behind that team.

The 2nd is a future asset for LA but is one that can be replaced down the line in other trades, especially when looking at the youth starting to come through the organization and start knocking on the NHL door.

Sure would be nice to finally be on the other end of one of those 1 sided goaltender trades....

leafspring*

Frattin is easily replaced in this draft alone.

Bernier however, if he pans out.. isn't.

Ficale will most likely still be on the board when the leafs pick but this trade is a view as to how the organization will be moving forward. Frattin is signed/Scrivvy is signed and Bernier is RFA asking most likely way to much for the Kings liking.

I won't rate this trade until i see the cap hit involved. Bernier has been excellent when called on for L.A. I don't mind the deal already,but it could turn out great if the cap hit is reasonable.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Bernier has a worse S% than Reimer, and he plays for a significantly better defensive team

Pretty similar save percentage to Reimer's this season. It's a risky move but at least we have two young goaltenders with trade values that should appreciate over time (especially Bernier)

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
I don't like this AT ALL. if it was frattin and someone else and a pick I would be fine with it

But we haven't even seen what scrivens can do. It was his first year and he's only played a handful of games. He will be a great nhl goalie.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 13s
Career save percentages in NHL: Reimer .915, Bernier .912, Scrivens .910. In AHL: Reimer .920, Bernier .927, Scrivens .923.

Food for thought.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I have to give credit to the guys I argued with over the past couple of days. This cost is a much more easier to swallow than I first thought it'd be.

I thought it'd be Frattin + 1st + more. But for Frattin, Scrivens (who would've become obsolete anyways) and a 2nd rounder that's not even this years, I like this trade a lot.

Good job Nonis.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I don't like this AT ALL. if it was frattin and someone else and a pick I would be fine with it

But we haven't even seen what scrivens can do. It was his first year and he's only played a handful of games. He will be a great nhl goalie.

I like Scrivens and all but he is already 26 years old and we only traded his rights.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
If this makes Reimer nervous, then add one more reason why he isn't #1 quality in this league.

Look at the Team Canada goalie controversy over the past few years at the World Jrs. Those guys are a bit younger but they're also world class goalies who get caught up in the media generated hoopla over who's going to start. That stuff can eat away at a guy. I'm not saying Reimer is going to crash and burn, I'm just saying I don't see why we need to trade assets to shore up a position that was one of our strong points last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad