Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Leafs get Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens and 2nd round pick in 2014 or 2015. Good trade??????

I am not overjoyed, why focus on goaltending when we have Reimer and Scrivens as a decent backup? Why not forward where we need help?

Actually D and Goaltending were more of a pressing concern. If I was Nonis my priorties this summer were in order, #2 D, #1 Goalie, #1C if possible (really hard to get), top 6 winger (this will be done on FA) bottom 6 winger and bottom pair D man (once again FA).

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I really don't like the idea of giving up Frattin, I think he'll be a solid NHL sniper. And why do we continue to chip away at Reimer's confidence when he's showing he can be a #1? Ugh, this team never learns.

Yeah I can't help but think about the hot start Frattin had. Imagine if that's the real guy. However, cup half full and this is far from a typical Leafs goalie deal so far:laugh: I still wonder if they are going to run these two as a tandem, or if it is just because they like Bernier's game more and intend to move Riemer out. And if so, do they play both for a while to confirm JB has it working, or do they get really gutsy and move Riemer this summer?

Nonis shows he does in fact have nuts!

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I like the deal itself, especially if we can pick up someone like Clarkson in FA. I'm just moreso concerned about Reimer. Hopefully it doesn't kill his confidence.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Are you crazy? As good as Reimer was this season, it was only a 48 game season. He **** the bed in the 3rd plus OT of game 7. Not saying he's not our guy, but having someone like Bernier for competition is amazing.

This has already been pretty convincingly discredited in another thread, with photos included.

MyLeafsForever

Jul 8, 2010
Thunder Bay, Canada
The three most important aspects of a team are #1 C, #1D and #1G. As much as some people love Reimer, he's not a #1 Goalie, and I doubt he'd ever be. He looks great with a high volume of shots but did he ever look great in OT in the playoffs? Did he ever look great and make the big save with a 2,3 goal lead? What we got here is a potential #1 guy here, for a bunch of scraps (similar to the Dion deal). Losing frattin may suck, but we'll get a frattin type guy back in a year or two when Reimer is traded...

Are you putting the loss on his shoulders? How about the fact that Carlyle had Phaneuf and Gunnerson out there who were completely GASSED. Neither of those guys could skate during the final goals, and that isn't Reimer's fault, its the coaches. How Carlyle can ride 2 defencemen so long and cost 2 critical games and avoid controversy is beyond me, but there was a lot more to the Leafs blowing a 4-1 lead than the guy in net.

The only upside is we didn't give up much for the trade.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Remember when we traded Rask for a Calder trophy winner; Raycroft which was suppose to be steal for the Leafs. Today Rask is playing in the SCF and Raycroft is playing in Italy :laugh:

I have a feeling Nonis will trade Reimer somewhere out in the west and he'll turn into a solid tender and the Leafs would stil be looking for goaltending upgrade 2 seasons from now. I hope i'm wrong. Welcome to Toronto Bernier.

Not this time. Bernier is Rask.:handclap:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This really opens speculation on a deal for Reimer.

You do not need to be Bobby Mac to surmise a deal of Gardiner and Reimer to Edmonton would yield significant assets back, Gagner, #7th pick, + and +.

Like I said earlier this gives Nonis a big hand at the draft table and this summer. Big chips are in play.

Bernier outplayed Reimer to win the #1G position at the Worlds, and Nonis was the GM of that team.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I love Matt Frattin, but this is a great value deal for us!

Plenty of UFA wingers out there. Horton, Clowe, Clarkson, Morrow, Iginla, Penner, etc.

Ashton/D'Amigo IMO are NHL ready and can be bottom 6 guys.

A year from now, Biggs should be ready.

Not the biggest loss in the world. Worth the risk. Bernier could legitimately become a top 10 NHL goalie. His flaws dont seem as glaring as Reimers, even though theyve had similar stats.

nazembiggs*

Time to flip Riems to the peg for Burni,2nd and a veteran goalie or sign one ourselves.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Crazy, crazy, crazy.

If no goalie controversy exists, the Leafs just go out and create one. I suppose that Reimer is next to move, you can't have two number one goalies. Anyone remember the Joseph/Potvin fiasco.

Is Bernier an upgrade in net? Over the past four years the stats look like this...

Bernier: GP: 58 GA: 120 GAA: 2.07 W: 28 L: 17 T: 6 SVs: 1315 SV%: .916
Reimer: GP: 104 GA: 263 GAA: 2.52 W: 53 L: 32 T: 14 SVs: 2840 SV%: .915

The stats suggest otherwise... The Leafs were clearly the worse team defensively between the Kings and Leafs, and yet Reimer posted identical numbers making 27 saves per game vs 22 saves per game for Bernier.

Was goaltending the real position that needed to be addressed?

Stats don't tell the whole story. Yes Reimer had similar sv% with more shots, but if you watch our games, shot totals are always high, but quality is relatively low. If you've seen Bernier play vs Reimer you'd see what Leafs mgmt is seeing. Reimer is a puck blocker who can't make the big save when needed and can't control a rebound to save his leaf. We won't have those worries with Bernier.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
This really opens speculation on a deal for Reimer.

You do not need to be Bobby Mac to surmise a deal of Gardiner and Reimer to Edmonton would yield significant assets back, Gagner, #7th pick, + and +.

Like I said earlier this gives Nonis a big hand at the draft table and this summer. Big chips are in play.

Bernier outplayed Reimer to win the #1G position at the Worlds, and Nonis was the GM of that team.

Without Scrivens though, we'd need a backup.

Also, id like to keep Reimer. Neither Bernier nor Reimer are guaranteed longterm NHL quality starters. Keeping both is just good for insurance purposes.

ALine

May 14, 2012
I wonder what the contract situation will shake out as. Bernier is an RFA, mande 1.25 last 2 seasons. Reimer made 1.8 last season, and set to make that next year then he is RFA

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Are you putting the loss on his shoulders? How about the fact that Carlyle had Phaneuf and Gunnerson out there who were completely GASSED. Neither of those guys could skate during the final goals, and that isn't Reimer's fault, its the coaches. How Carlyle can ride 2 defencemen so long and cost 2 critical games and avoid controversy is beyond me, but there was a lot more to the Leafs blowing a 4-1 lead than the guy in net.

The only upside is we didn't give up much for the trade.

No but I'm not giving him any slack like others seem to. Your goalie is the last line of defence and in big games, in big situations, you need him to shut the door. Talk to any NHL goalie and he'll say with a 3 goal lead with 10 to go, I don't care what's in front of me, its my responsibility to hold the lead.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Stats don't tell the whole story. Yes Reimer had similar sv% with more shots, but if you watch our games, shot totals are always high, but quality is relatively low. If you've seen Bernier play vs Reimer you'd see what Leafs mgmt is seeing. Reimer is a puck blocker who can't make the big save when needed and can't control a rebound to save his leaf. We won't have those worries with Bernier.

Good post.

Reimer is quite good at lateral movement, good down low. But terrible rebound control and a bad glove.

Bernier wont give up the big juicy rebounds night in and night out and has a better glove hand. Similar to Reimer though, he's not the best puck handler. But thats really a "luxury" when it comes to goaltending.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
No worries...actually i like the deal because the 1st or 2nd in a hot draft year remain

I hope we deal Reimer in a package to land a player of high pick

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
After spending his 1st year housecleaning, now we're seeing the true beginnings of team building by Nonis with this move.

"Building from the net out" is the cornerstone blueprint for a contending NHL team for the Cup. Bernier now provides the Leafs a true blue chip prospect in net to develop and hopefully build upon for their success.

James Reimer has done everything asked of him and more for the Leafs, but this gives the organization stability in net which has been missing for a long time now.

Nonis is known for this, as when he first arrived in Vancouver as GM he went out and acquired Luongo for that franchise to build its success around. He understands the importance of goaltending as its a priority of his to address. BTW now this will also put to rest any Luongo and his contract to Toronto talk forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad