Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Busher Jackson

4x 1st Team Allstar
Mar 4, 2010
At least Nonis didn't give up a first rounder. Thank goodness for that. Leafs could have traded Scrivens for a pick and signed Kingston native UFA Mike Smith from Phoenix. Then the leafs would have proven starting goalie, an extra draft pick and Frattin. Instead they gave up picks and young assets for an unproven starter, albiet with potential.

This is a a head scratcher. Of course if Bernier turns into an elite goalie than Nonis will have a statue erected at ACC, if he's another Raycroft he's another JFJ consigned to hockeys ash heap never to be heard from again. I'm hoping for the former.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets 27s
Nonis adds this deal was in the works since january.....and that the leafs won't hesitate to make further deals to make leafs better.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 58s
Nonis says he expects Leafs will make a couple more moves before July 5.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My first reaction was blah. Those were chips that could have been used for a defenseman or for a centre.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/...-traded-los-angeles-kings-toronto-maple-leafs

Bernier has been looking for more playing time, and the Kings have been looking to deal their talented backup goalie, who is eligible for restricted free agency this summer.

"Obviously I'm very excited," Bernier told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun. "Going to Toronto I think is a great challenge. It's great. They've got a really good young team, and hopefully I can fit in and have some success with them."

Kings general manager Dean Lombardi promised Bernier after the season that he would make his best effort to trade the goaltender so that he would have a better chance at playing games.

"I was very happy -- Dean is a man of his word," Bernier told ESPN.com. "I felt he would keep it, and he did. All the teams in the mix were great teams, but I have to tell you I'm so happy that it's Toronto."

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
We didn't score but Reimer didn't make many saves either. Bernier isn't proven, but he has way more potential. Reimer has played well, but he got a shot and ran with it, it's a great story Ill give you that.. and, you do realise he's still on the team right? He'll get his chance.. until he gets injured again of course.

The 10+ round shootout says different. FYI every team gets 3 shooters, 2 are guaranteed, if they don't score then the loss isn't on the goalie especially when it's by 1 goal like pretty much all of our SO losses.

Why exactly does Bernier have "Way more potential"? because of where he was drafted? They're both the same age.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-toronto-maple-leafs-20130623,0,7731904.story

"It's a good young team that wants to win. It's obviously a great organization, that will do pretty much anything to win," Bernier said. "I'm very happy to go play for a great club and great organization."

Did he start to think this day would never come?

"It felt that way," Bernier said. "But I'll look in ten years and I'll be like, 'Oh, it was just a short time in my career.' I'm very happy. And Tim (Leiweke) just called. He's very excited to have me on board."

Leiweke served as the President and CEO of Anschutz Entertainment Group, which owns the Kings until he was replaced by Dan Beckerman. Leiweke is currently the head of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment. ]

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=674925

"I'm very happy, obviously," Bernier said. "Toronto has always been a great market; especially with the good young team they have now. It feels kind of like L.A. when I first got there in that we all grew up together. Hopefully I can fit in right away."

Bernier put up solid numbers for the Kings this season, including a 9-3-1 record with a sparkling 1.88 goals-against average and .922 save percentage with one shutout. However, he was not able to unseat Jonathan Quick for the starter's job and it was clear if he was ever to be a No. 1 goalie in the NHL, it was going to have to be with another organization.

It has been reported the New York Islanders and Philadelphia Flyers were also making bids to get Bernier, but Kings' GM Dean Lombardi liked the package being offered by Toronto.

"Dean promised me that he was going to trade me when we spoke at the beginning of the season," Bernier said. "He said if it was not at the trade deadline he would do it after the season. He kept his word and obviously I was very happy he did."

Reimer, 25, will be entering his fourth season with the Maple Leafs next year. Coming off a season in which he was 19-8-5 with a 2.46 GAA and .924 save percentage, the Morweena, Man., native remains a work in progress, often struggling with his rebound control and catching pucks with his trapper. Bernier, who was named MVP in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League playoffs in 2006-07 and the American Hockey League's best goalie in 2009-10, believes a new start in Toronto is just what the doctor ordered.

"I went through some ups and downs in L.A., but they treated me very well and I'm thankful for that," Bernier said. "This is a new challenge and I'm going to show people what I can do. At the same time I'll be with a great goalie in Reimer, so it's not going to be easy. I just have to do what I know I can do and hopefully have success."

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
There is going to be an ongoing goalie controversy around the team now. Every bad game or even bad goal by whoever the starter is will be written about and discussed on sports shows ad nauseam.

Its going to affect both goalies, and it's going to affect the chemistry in the dressing room. The platoon has worked in the past, but whether it's goalies or quarterbacks, it seems to cause problems more often than not. Especially in media hotbeds. And Toronto is hottest bed in the NHL.

It will only have a negative effect if the team (read: Carlyle) lets it. These guys are pros - they will understand that the hot hand is going to go and they will push themselves harder because of it.

If they were 18 year olds - for sure, I'd agree it would be a problem. In their mid-20's, both of these guys are mature enough to handle the competitiion.

Why would the leafs give up an opportunity for strength in a position? If Reimers confidence is so fragile that some competition is going to effect his game - then we have bigger issues.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
The 24-year-old goaltender, who was traded Sunday to the Maple Leafs by the Los Angeles Kings, grew up in Montreal and most of his family members are diehard fans of the Canadiens. At least they were.

"They are all pretty much saying the same thing -- we have to switch jerseys," Bernier said with a laugh. "I'm sure they'll all do it. I don't know if they'll like it, but it's going to be great to be playing closer to home so my family can come and watch me play."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=674925&navid=DL|NHL|home

haha, that's awesome. welcome to the leafs family bernier :yo:

screw the habs!

audiotunesx

Jul 6, 2006
The Leafs are a better team today then there were yesterday. So I am happy.

The Kings are also a better team as they have a young winger whom fits in their system is cheap as dirt. Same goes for Scrivens. Scrivens is not a threat to take over Quick's job and is a perfect backup to an established young starter. Also cheap as dirt, which cup contenders love.

We get a solid potential star goalie and have 100% confidence going into the next season that Reins and Bernier will get the job done. A 50/50 or 60/40 game split is perfect here. Everybody wins. Reimer has to earn starter status and so does Bernier. Love this trade. We can be easily replace Frattin with a ufa. Cap space is no issue for the Leafs.

Good job Nonis... I'm becoming a fan.

So am I :handclap:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Now that Toronto has traded Matt Frattin, do the Maple Leafs have any interest in Chicago Blackhawks right winger Michael Frolik?

http://www.capgeek.com/player/816

Draft picks and/or prospects please.

The Chicago Blackhawks will be in a salary cap dump mode this off-season in order to re-sign left winger Bryan Bickell.

No thanks. :laugh:

We'll just go sign Bryan Bickell ourselves. We have two open spots now in the bottom six.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It will only have a negative effect if the team (read: Carlyle) lets it. These guys are pros - they will understand that the hot hand is going to go and they will push themselves harder because of it.

If they were 18 year olds - for sure, I'd agree it would be a problem. In their mid-20's, both of these guys are mature enough to handle the competitiion.

Why would the leafs give up an opportunity for strength in a position? If Reimers confidence is so fragile that some competition is going to effect his game - then we have bigger issues.

Burke's fantastic discovery Gustavsson, the best goalie in Europe, made him crumble ... that's why Gustavsson is the starter somewhere. :sarcasm:

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Another myth. The Leafs were actually right around league average in giving up shots and goals from under 30ft out. The alarming part is how many shots and goals they gave up from 30+ out, which was well above league average. Carlyle's system really didn't limit the number of shots from under 30ft with respect to league average, but what they did do was allow way more shots from 30+ft out with respect to years prior.

Reimer saved their ass this year.

If reimer was the MVP how come he doesn't have a single vezina vote for this year? Certainly GM saw something wrong in him?

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
Not crazy about the deal, liked Frattin and would've liked to see him continue to grow here, Scrivens was replaceable and obviously needed to be involved in this trade... adding a 2nd rounder on top of this was maybe a bit much, but at least Leafs have option to pick which year they give it up.

What I really don't like about this trade is that it didn't really address the problem. Leafs didn't go out and get an experienced goalie to mentor Reimer, they went and got a guy about the same age, with worse stats than him. How does that improve things? and what message does it send to Reimer? Didn't need to make this deal, wasted assets that could've been better spent in a trade to address clear needs.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Goaltending is the most important position and I am very confident in the tandem we have going into next season :)

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
There is no controversy when your goalies are both mid twenties and have never been cemented into a #1 role in the NHL. Best man wins. That's life in sports ...deal with it. Act like a professional and there will be no controversy.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Not crazy about the deal, liked Frattin and would've liked to see him continue to grow here, Scrivens was replaceable and obviously needed to be involved in this trade... adding a 2nd rounder on top of this was maybe a bit much, but at least Leafs have option to pick which year they give it up.

What I really don't like about this trade is that it didn't really address the problem. Leafs didn't go out and get an experienced goalie to mentor Reimer, they went and got a guy about the same age, with worse stats than him. How does that improve things? and what message does it send to Reimer? Didn't need to make this deal, wasted assets that could've been better spent in a trade to address clear needs.

Why does Reimer need a mentor? It's not like he's a prospect or anything he was a starter for majority of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad