Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Perhaps people just judge everything individually?

I was thrilled with the van Riemsdyk trade.
I'm happy with this one.

I just don't see any evidence Bernier is a proven starter.

If someone can post the proven NHL starter facts, that would be great. :p:

Pretty much this!

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
If I'm not mistaken, Bernier had stretches this year where he was statistically better than Quick. I'm super excited to have him on the team, Reimer will have to put his butt into high gear if he's going to wrestle the #1 job away from Bernier now.

He dominated Quick in the regular season, and our defense took a noticeable step back from last year when we lost Mitchell and Greene and had to replace them with rookies. It wasn't close though, Bernier wiped the floor with Quick in the regular season. Quick didn't get back to his old self until the playoffs started.

lLeafer

Feb 27, 2012
So you wouldn't want Crawford? And how are shoot-outs any indication of his play? Maybe you should look to see that Bozak was the only player scoring in SO's for us, kinda hard to win a SO if you're team won't score goals to help you out, make sense? And it's the other way around, what has Bernier proven to be so superior to Reimer?

We didn't score but Reimer didn't make many saves either. Bernier isn't proven, but he has way more potential. Reimer has played well, but he got a shot and ran with it, it's a great story Ill give you that.. and, you do realise he's still on the team right? He'll get his chance.. until he gets injured again of course.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
The Leafs are a better team today then there were yesterday. So I am happy.

The Kings are also a better team as they have a young winger whom fits in their system is cheap as dirt. Same goes for Scrivens. Scrivens is not a threat to take over Quick's job and is a perfect backup to an established young starter. Also cheap as dirt, which cup contenders love.

We get a solid potential star goalie and have 100% confidence going into the next season that Reins and Bernier will get the job done. A 50/50 or 60/40 game split is perfect here. Everybody wins. Reimer has to earn starter status and so does Bernier. Love this trade. We can be easily replace Frattin with a ufa. Cap space is no issue for the Leafs.

Good job Nonis... I'm becoming a fan.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Look at the replays on 3rd, 4th. His glove hand and rebound control caused all those goals. Yes the defense could've done a better job but Reimer should have stopped all of them.

Reimer should've stopped a shot with the 7ft Chara standing literally right in front of him?

ClarkieMac

Oct 18, 2010
I love this. As awesome as Reimer was, he still hasn't proven he can stay healthy for a whole season, and has definetly had his ups and downs. If he can't handle some real competiton then he shouldn't be here, anyways. After the epic collapse in game 7, noones job should be compltley safe other than Phils'.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
One of Bernier's games this season, if you have Gamecenter or something of the like, it might be worth looking up the full game if you want to get a sense of him:

Drmckool

Truculence!
Jun 16, 2010
From the T.O
I know I shouldn't be, but I'm actually amazed by the amount of negativity I'm finding in this thread. People are acting like future Hall of Famers were traded for a scrub goalie. Whereas it was more along the lines of a serviceable backup goalie and a solid top-9 winger for a currently solid backup with All-star potential.

Also I'd like to point out that we cannot assess this trade in any meaningful way until after the off-season, if not the start of next year's off-season. One would assume that Nonis has a couple more moves up his sleeve and I don't think it's fair to say such inane things as "...blown his brains out.." or lamenting Nonis's poor asset management until he has done at least a little bit more. Bernier might be the second coming of Brodeur, or he might be another Raycroft; we won't know until he gets out on the ice.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He dominated Quick in the regular season, and our defense took a noticeable step back from last year when we lost Mitchell and Greene and had to replace them with rookies. It wasn't close though, Bernier wiped the floor with Quick in the regular season. Quick didn't get back to his old self until the playoffs started.

Thanks for the inside info. It seems that Kings fans are unanimous in their praise of Bernier. I can't wait to see him get his long awaited opportunity as a starter in Toronto.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
We definitely got the player with higher upside, and I am happy that we are building from the net out.

Next stop, improve defense.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Its funny at first, then just sad. Not a single winger is ready to step into the top 9.

Well - there are serious rumblings that Clarkson WANTS to come to T.O., and that Nonis and Lou are currently working out a deal for his rights - if they are close there - that takes care of that.

Otherwise - Frattin, while likeable - appears to be a 3rd line winger with grit who can contribute some secondary offense ... between Kulemin, Biggs, Ross, Leivo, Ashton - and potentially Colborne until we get rid of Grabo - I think we'll be able to fill out the roster just fine in the future.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
There was really no "2" lol

What? Scivens held the fort very well when called upon after Reimer got injured. In those 10 games he had something like a .920+ SV% and if not for his solid play when Reimer went down, we probably don't make the post season.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make it sound like we are giving up a Vezina candidate or anything, but to completely discredit what he did this year is a little foolish. He's a more then capable back-up.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I'm sure you had fans you said you'd never win with Crawford. I'm sure some of those fans played a high level and coached at a high level and ... blah blah blah.

I like the trade, but many are equating potential with actual performance.

Right now, he should be looked at as a significant improvement over Scrivens and, beyond that, no opinions should be formed until we've seen more of him. With him and Reimer the Leafs could have great goaltending for the first time in years. And if Bernier lives up to his potential then this deal will turn out to be a steal for the Leafs. Plus, if necessary, a couple of years down the road the Leafs can just keep whichever of the two has established himself as the clear #1 and trade the other one for other pieces of the puzzle. If they remain a 1a and 1b pair then they can either decide which one to keep or just keep both if the salaries are manageable as you can never have too much goaltending.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Are people aware that Reimer is like 5 months older than Bernier?

I'm guessing Bernier's potential will expire in about 5 months and then what we see by January 2014 is the best Bernier can become.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Another positive point to remember - Reims often showed signs of fatigue when playing so much, and Bernier hasn't played so many games over the past few years.

I have a feeling a 50/50 split throughout the season (ride the hot hand) could end up bringing out the best of both goalies!

I don't think either will be moved until and heir apparent (Sparks or someone else) is ready - and that could be years.

DaveT83*

Frattin alone was worth more to this organization going forward than Bernier.
And I'm a Bernier fan.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 24s
Nonis: "We feel we've got two of the top young goaltenders in the league right now."

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 2m
Nonis: "Most teams think goaltending is the most important position in the game. This is clearly not a knock on James. He's done very well."

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 33s
Nonis was GM of Team Canada at worlds when Reimer/Bernier played. "They seemed to get along well." No personality issues.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 35s
Nonis said he told Reimer: "Nothing's being guaranteed to anyone."

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Look at the Team Canada goalie controversy over the past few years at the World Jrs. Those guys are a bit younger but they're also world class goalies who get caught up in the media generated hoopla over who's going to start. That stuff can eat away at a guy. I'm not saying Reimer is going to crash and burn, I'm just saying I don't see why we need to trade assets to shore up a position that was one of our strong points last season.

There is going to be an ongoing goalie controversy around the team now. Every bad game or even bad goal by whoever the starter is will be written about and discussed on sports shows ad nauseam.

Its going to affect both goalies, and it's going to affect the chemistry in the dressing room. The platoon has worked in the past, but whether it's goalies or quarterbacks, it seems to cause problems more often than not. Especially in media hotbeds. And Toronto is hottest bed in the NHL.

Busher Jackson

4x 1st Team Allstar
Mar 4, 2010
At least Nonis didn't give up a first rounder. Thank goodness for that. Leafs could have traded Scrivens for a pick and signed Kingston native UFA Mike Smith from Phoenix. Then the leafs would have proven starting goalie, an extra draft pick and Frattin. Instead they gave up picks and young assets for an unproven starter, albiet with potential.

This is a a head scratcher. Of course if Bernier turns into an elite goalie than Nonis will have a statue erected at ACC, if he's another Raycroft he's another JFJ consigned to hockeys ash heap never to be heard from again. I'm hoping for the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad