Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
The best thing about Bernier, which may have been overlooked thus far, is that he isn't a butterfly goaltender. He is a hybrid. Where Quick will always go into butterfly on just about every shot which makes the upper corner vulnerable, like a lot of goalies in the league, but Bernier will stay standing if he detects that puck going up. Makes a lot of shooters look foolish. He is one of the most balanced goalies around. There is no singular spot that he gets beaten, he covers every aspect of the net equally well.

He hasn't proven it to you, but he's proven it to us. All you're doing is looking at the stat sheet; however, I've seen every game of his NHL career, and I have also watched half of Reimer's. We've seen Bernier behind significantly worse defenses than what we've had the past couple of years, not to mention his numbers this year were very real (Quick was healthy this whole season and we were missing 2/3 of our very best defensive pieces the whole year). He beat Quick cleanly this regular season and there were very real debates that he should be used in the playoffs. The guy is rock solid. You're in for a surprise.

Given all you have said about him, I have to ask you, why LA traded him.

We have all heard it's because he was stuck behind Quick but what if the same situation happens here and he plays behind Reimer.

My hope is this doesn't cause a problem, IMO we now have two starting Goal Tenders.

Did he ask to be traded because of that situation?

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Sucks to lose Frattin, but like others have said we have plenty of wingers on the Marlies that can step in next season. This says a lot about managements thoughts of Reimer tbh and if he doesn't end up being traded then he is gonna end up being the backup next year

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Reimer stats were inflated because of the number of shot that was going against him and most of them were low percentage % and perimeter shots. Plus, how on every rebound he would make our defense would clear the puck away so he definitely had luck on his side.

Another myth. The Leafs were actually right around league average in giving up shots and goals from under 30ft out. The alarming part is how many shots and goals they gave up from 30+ out, which was well above league average. Carlyle's system really didn't limit the number of shots from under 30ft with respect to league average, but what they did do was allow way more shots from 30+ft out with respect to years prior.

Reimer saved their ass this year.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Here is a cool vid of him. The highlights pick up after 1:10. Has a few ridiculous saves and his rebounds are typically clear of the net. His positioning and stability are really demonstrated here. In the AHL, he led the team to the finals.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Hawks actually were talking to Kings last summer about Bernier but nothing could be done + Quick needing surgery made Kings hold onto him

Interesting how things worked out

Hawks were ready to give up on Crawford after a terrible postseason performance and now he is one win away from cup (+ Jennings winner)

Honestly think Leafs are giving up on Reimer too early. Thought your 1-2 tandem was fine this past year

I'm sure you had fans you said you'd never win with Crawford. I'm sure some of those fans played a high level and coached at a high level and ... blah blah blah.

I like the trade, but many are equating potential with actual performance.

I think it is a good risk for both teams, and I'd take further risks rather than just being happy for the Leafs to be a first round warm up team.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Good luck with that one given the fact Bernier has never been a proven legit #1 NHL goalie.

I don't care about potential Bernier hasn't proven he's a #1 NHL goalie period.

Technically Reimer hasn't prove that either over the course of a 82 game season. Scrivens even less than Reimer. What's your point exactly? Because common sense dictates that NO goalie can legitimately prove to be a #1 NHL goalie until they're given the opportunity to do so. How many back-ups around the league could steal the starting job from Jonathan Quick? Hell, there are starters around the league that couldn't do it. Sounds like you're very skeptical of Bernier because he wasn't able to do what most goalies wouldn't be able to do it and for what it's worth, I think most would agree that if Reimer were in Bernier's situation, he'd also spend most games sitting on the Kings bench as Quick's back-up. Give the kid a chance.

Every Kings fans that have spoken up on the matter (and your feedback is much appreciated!), has said that Bernier has it all to be a legit #1 in this league and this is after they traded the guy away. I especially love the fact that they aren't mentioning his stats but theyr'e talking about his approach to the game that makes him so good.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
As a habs fan, kudos, big fan of Bernier. If my projections are anywhere close to being correct you'll win this deal in a landslide.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I'm sure you had fans you said you'd never win with Crawford. I'm sure some of those fans played a high level and coached at a high level and ... blah blah blah.

I like the trade, but many are equating potential with actual performance.

I think it is a good risk for both teams, and I'd take further risks rather than just being happy for the Leafs to be a first round warm up team.

And this is it basically in a nut shell. Neither team is receiving anything guaranteed in this deal. Both are taking risks in what they gave up versus what they're acquiring but when you have the potential to get 'better' in an area that needs improving, you do it. Better to fail in different ways than to fail the same way time and time again.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Solid trade, the value is pretty much dead on and I really like us having the option on the 2nd as well.

I feel this is the first of many moves this off season.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
So we finally have a cup winner on the roster? :)

This really seems like a pretty even trade to me at this point. Good luck Frattin and Scrivy!

crazyaces**

I'm just glad we can stop with the Luongo to Toronto rumours! thank God we didn't trade for bobby-lu!

Last edited by a moderator:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I really liked Frattin, I think he will be a consistent 20-30 goal power forward/scorer. I honestly haven't seen much of Bernier so I will reserve judgement on the deal. He had good numbers in limited playing time and I know he was always considered a good goaltending prospect. Lets hope Nonis hit a home run with this. I believe you always build from the net out, hopefully he is that piece.

With Frattin gone, it gives us the chance to promote our other scoring winger prospects.:sarcasm:

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Or some of us are just educated in the art of goaltending having played it at a high level and coached it for several years that we recognize a goalies weakness and don't ignore it?

Maybe you should watch more than just the Leafs, every player goes high glove on every goalie because it's a weakness to pretty much every butterfly goaltender. So maybe you aren't as educated as you thought you were...

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 56s
TOR did take back money (cap hit applied against TOR) in Bernier deal, in the $500,000 range.

Frattin has an annual cap hit of 925k, scrivens a hit of 613k

as per the new cba, retained salary cannot exceed 50% of a players salary
so if it is in fact 500k, both scrivens' and frattin's contracts need to be split, using up two of toronto's three slots (lombardi's retained salary comes off the books this summer)

otherwise, its probably just 50% of frattin's contract. ie 462.5k

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

We have all heard it's because he was stuck behind Quick but what if the same situation happens here and he plays behind Reimer.

My hope is this doesn't cause a problem, IMO we now have two starting Goal Tenders.

We didn't have to, but Lombardi and Hextall felt that he deserved to be a #1 elsewhere, and it is important to them that they keep those promises with the players.

In the end, there was no catching Quick. Bernier is not far behind him, and is even better than Quick at a few aspects, but once Quick won that Conn Smythe, there was nothing left for Bernier, so he asked Dean for a trade because he wanted to get his shot and Dean said that he would try, but it would likely happen during this offseason and it did.

I guarantee you this contest isn't going to be close. It is something you should be happy about. I know you grow attached to players, hell we were attached to Bernier when Quick came around, but you gotta go with what is best for the organization and Bernier is a Maple Leaf now. Bernier is a guy that can steal more than just a game. You guys are in for a treat.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Honestly, I'm not a fan. Right away, the trade destroys Reimer's confidence. So unless, Bernier can actually take the reins, I don't think we are in good shape for next season

Reims isn't a little kid. He's a pro-hockey player, who has had injuries. He's always known with the Leafs he will have to earn his job, and the strong bet is that next season both guys get an equal opportunity to take the starters position.

The Leafs have to do what's best for the Leafs. Reims played great, but a) if he went down for an extended stretch, a Scrivens / Mcintyre combo was not going to do, and b) while he (Reims) has played strong overall, he has shown a tendency to have both down periods and injuries.

Niether Riems or Bernier will be "given" anything. We've gone from having goaltending woes to having two young starting goalies battle for the spot. They are pros - they are not going to go cry in a corner because there is competition :shakehead

What I love is the culture - Nothing is handed to you if you want a spot on the Leafs - you want to play - earn it baby!!! :handclap:

Offspring

Feb 13, 2010
If I'm not mistaken, Bernier had stretches this year where he was statistically better than Quick. I'm super excited to have him on the team, Reimer will have to put his butt into high gear if he's going to wrestle the #1 job away from Bernier now.

SLarmer28*

Now that Toronto has traded Matt Frattin, do the Maple Leafs have any interest in Chicago Blackhawks right winger Michael Frolik?

http://www.capgeek.com/player/816

Draft picks and/or prospects please.

The Chicago Blackhawks will be in a salary cap dump mode this off-season in order to re-sign left winger Bryan Bickell.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

Quick has a 10 year contract. Even if Bernier outplays him, he won't play ahead of him. That situation does not exist in Toronto.

darty

Dec 1, 2008
I'm pretty happy about this trade for our team. Bernier could work out very well for us and is a big upgrade over Scrivens.

Scrivens seems like a smart, likeable person, but his decision making and rebound control are not very good and I absolutely hated the way he held his glovehand up around his ears, palm down. He can't catch pucks with the way he holds it, just knocks it down leaving big rebounds.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I really liked Frattin, I think he will be a consistent 20-30 goal power forward/scorer. I honestly haven't seen much of Bernier so I will reserve judgement on the deal. He had good numbers in limited playing time and I know he was always considered a good goaltending prospect. Lets hope Nonis hit a home run with this. I believe you always build from the net out, hopefully he is that piece.

With Frattin gone, it gives us the chance to promote our other scoring winger prospects.:sarcasm:

Its funny at first, then just sad. Not a single winger is ready to step into the top 9.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
We didn't have to, but Lombardi and Hextall felt that he deserved to be a #1 elsewhere, and it is important to them that they keep those promises with the players.

In the end, there was no catching Quick. Bernier is not far behind him, and is even better than Quick at a few aspects, but once Quick won that Conn Smythe, there was nothing left for Bernier, so he asked Dean for a trade because he wanted to get his shot and Dean said that he would try, but it would likely happen during this offseason and it did.

I guarantee you this contest isn't going to be close. It is something you should be happy about. I know you grow attached to players, hell we were attached to Bernier when Quick came around, but you gotta go with what is best for the organization and Bernier is a Maple Leaf now. Bernier is a guy that can steal more than just a game. You guys are in for a treat.

Thanks for that info, Reimer did well in Goal for us this year but no player wants to sit on the bench for most of the year and if Bernier can become the #1 Goal Tender, I don't think Reimer will object to being back-up but if it goes the other way, I'm not sure and I do like the Trade, My hope is they leave it wide open and both will play and it sorts itself out.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Bold move by Nonis. Entirely reasonable price to pay, and we end up with the player with the most upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad