Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Up til the playoffs when we won the cup, the Quick vs Bernier debate was unbearable. We would fight on our own boards for hours and over months. Bernier is very composed, solid on his positioning. Our goalie trainer is Bill Ranford and he worked with both Quick and Bernier. The only reason Bernier wasn't our starting goalie was because of Quick. Bernier was by no means a back up, he was just playing behind Quick. Quick doesn't do as well on a split load, he needs a heavy load to play well so Bernier didn't get as many games. Bernier he has all star potential and a very calming presence in the locker room and on the ice. You're gonna love this guy. He's better than Price.

Bernier saved our ***** when Quick was injured. Never would have made the playoffs without him. Our side is gonna really miss him, but he needs to play #1 somewhere. Couldn't be happier for him that he landed in Toronto.

Also, he was willing to fight Crawford during a playoff game against the Hawks.

I'm a little worried on Frattin. Heard he is bouncing back from a clean up on his knee? I understand he had an off year because of that, which happens on recovery. I can understand if he isn't scoring, but how is his skating. Did it decline? He can work on his scoring touch overtime, but am wondering if his skating dropped significantly as that would show he hasn't fully rehabbed it yet.

Also, guess we got a goalie too? Read somewhere he needs some work but is very serviceable with a solid work ethic. Is this your assessment as well?

Here it is. Took forever to find this. One of the guys on our side made this one. He is so calm when he plays (ice in his veins) and he has a ton of attitude so you'll love this. This our Conference Finals game. Game 2..

BernierComeAtMeBro.gif

Thanks for your input on Bernier! Hoping Frattin thrives in LA. Frattin's knee should be fine, his major surgery was last year in AHL playoffs and he returned to form this year. The second one which was a cleanup in playoffs, he seemed a bit rusty and didn't have his timing which is not surprising given playoff pace and time off.

Once in a while, he may need a kick or two from coach to get him to play physical, because that's when his at his absolute best. When his engaged physically, he just feeds of that.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
As usual Leafs Nation has the newest Leaf Jonathan Bernier elevated to demi-god like status right after the trade. Yet when i look at Bernier's stats this guy has never played more than 25 games in an NHL season and has only played a whopping 30 minutes of NHL playoff hockey.

2009–10 Los Angeles Kings NHL Games 3
2010–11 Los Angeles Kings NHL Games 25
2011–12 Los Angeles Kings NHL Games 16
2012–13 Los Angeles Kings NHL Games 14

Bernier has been a backup who has never played an entire season as a proven legit #1 NHL goalie. I sure hope Nonis knows WTF he is doing with this trade. This trade reminds me...this guy could be a younger version of Vesa Toskala.
You seem to forget the main reason why Bernier was never a #1 Goalie is because he played behind Jonathan Quick, who kept winnning and proved to be the Kings #1 Goalie. So that's why you need to take the total amount of games Bernier played with a grain of salt.

I also don't see this like the tme when JFJ traded for Vesa Toskala. At that time he was brought in because they lost faith in Andrew Raycroft and Paul Maurice didn't named either one as their #1 Goalie.

As far as I'm concerened James Reimer is still the Leafs #1 Goalie because he earned that with his play this past season. If Bernier can challenge him for more playing time then that should make both of them even better and result in more wins for the Leafs.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I think some people only bring up Reimer's glove hand and rebound control because it was mentioned a lot of times by Hughson, Simpson, and Healy during the Leafs/Bruins series. So they might have planted a seed of doubt in other people's minds because they like to bring it up everytime Reimer let out a rebound.

Huh?

Reimer's issue with this glove and rebound control go back to the very beginning of his NHL career, they didn't just surface in the playoffs.

Those guys mentioned it a lot because it's a serious, arguably fatal flaw in his game. But it doesn't matter anymore, because Bernier will be the starter and the Leafs, at last, have a legit goaltender to carry the load.

MapleLeafGardens*

Clearly Carlyle has no faith in Reimer going forward!

That's why Nonis has blown his brains out on this hope and a prayer trade.

Jacob8hockey*

I have yet to hear one LA fan tell us that Bernier is not going to be a #1 goalie, and this is after they traded him. They all have great things to say, we should be confident in what they are saying.

wulfio*

I think some people only bring up Reimer's glove hand and rebound control because it was mentioned a lot of times by Hughson, Simpson, and Healy during the Leafs/Bruins series. So they might have planted a seed of doubt in other people's minds because they like to bring it up everytime Reimer let out a rebound.

or you know... people watched him play or something... either/or right.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I know you guys are mixed, but most LA fans know what we gave up, and I am pretty sure your management knows what you just added. There's no doubt in our minds that you just added a #1 goaltender to your roster.

Bernier is one of the most technically sound goaltenders in the league. It is an extremely rare occurrence to see him out of position, unlike Quick. He doesn't rely on speed, athleticism, or reflexes as much as he does on his high hockey IQ and positioning. He thinks the game really well and just always knows where to be. That's not to say that he can't make the dramatic athletic save when he has to either. He is extremely good and smart at playing the puck (lightyears ahead of Quick), and he plays with swagger and attitude, but never loses his cool and ALWAYS looks absolutely calm in net. He makes everything seem easy because he shows no emotion. His biggest weakness is shootouts, because it makes him second guess those technical aspects of his game versus someone like Quick who plays on raw reflexes. However, he is decent at breakaways.

You guys don't know it yet, but your goaltending search is over.

"I was very happy -- Dean is a man of his word," Bernier told ESPN.com. "I felt he would keep it, and he did. All the teams in the mix were great teams, but I have to tell you I'm so happy that it's Toronto."

"Obviously I'm very excited," Bernier told ESPN.com. "Going to Toronto I think is a great challenge. It's great. They've got a really good young team, and hopefully I can fit in and have some success with them."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/...-traded-los-angeles-kings-toronto-maple-leafs

Thanks for the input, for me the bolded part is what I am most happy about.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I know you guys are mixed, but most LA fans know what we gave up, and I am pretty sure your management knows what you just added. There's no doubt in our minds that you just added a #1 goaltender to your roster.

Bernier is one of the most technically sound goaltenders in the league. It is an extremely rare occurrence to see him out of position, unlike Quick. He doesn't rely on speed, athleticism, or reflexes as much as he does on his high hockey IQ and positioning. He thinks the game really well and just always knows where to be. That's not to say that he can't make the dramatic athletic save when he has to either. He is extremely good and smart at playing the puck (lightyears ahead of Quick), and he plays with swagger and attitude, but never loses his cool and ALWAYS looks absolutely calm in net. He makes everything seem easy because he shows no emotion. His biggest weakness is shootouts, because it makes him second guess those technical aspects of his game versus someone like Quick who plays on raw reflexes. However, he is decent at breakaways.

"I was very happy -- Dean is a man of his word," Bernier told ESPN.com. "I felt he would keep it, and he did. All the teams in the mix were great teams, but I have to tell you I'm so happy that it's Toronto."

"Obviously I'm very excited," Bernier told ESPN.com. "Going to Toronto I think is a great challenge. It's great. They've got a really good young team, and hopefully I can fit in and have some success with them."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/...-traded-los-angeles-kings-toronto-maple-leafs

Well said and thank you for the reply here.

Most Leaf fans grow attached to their assets that get moved out that are currently here and analyze trades way too much, to the point where the question everything.

IMO, Bernier takes the starting role out of camp and doesn't look back.

James Reimer is an absolute pro and will continue to battle through the year for that starting position and his next contract.

Nonis has put the Leafs in a fantastic position moving forward in the goal tending department.

But like you said, many fans just don't know it yet.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
I absolutely love how all of the Leafs fans are talking bad about Scrivens and Reimer... At worst Scrivens is a perfectly acceptable NHL back up... at best... he could actually be a starter. Reimer of course was a major reason why the Leafs made the playoffs. One of the higher save percentages in the league and an acceptable NHL starter no doubt.

Now we have 2 NHL starters, and one has to sit on the bench. Yet we CLEARLY need an upgrade at D with all of the shots we are giving up.

MapleLeafGardens*

There's no doubt in our minds that you just added a #1 goaltender to your roster.

Good luck with that one given the fact Bernier has never been a proven legit #1 NHL goalie.

I don't care about potential Bernier hasn't proven he's a #1 NHL goalie period.

Drmckool

Truculence!
Jun 16, 2010
From the T.O
Clearly Carlyle has no faith in Reimer going forward!

That's why Nonis has blown his brains out on this hope and a prayer trade.

Though I'm not completely sold on this trade, I don't think "...blown his brain out..." is an appropriate appraisal of the trade. To qualify as that I would say Rielly, Gardiner, or Kadri would have had to have been on the move, if not Reimer instead of Scrivens.

Richardbro

Jul 22, 2009
Toronto
This is a huge win for the Leafs, and stating otherwise is quite foolish.

This is a potential #1 goalie no question about it.

Don't forget his stellar run in the AHL a few years back and when he won the Bastien Memorial Award for outstanding AHL goalkeeper.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I absolutely love how all of the Leafs fans are talking bad about Scrivens and Reimer... At worst Scrivens is a perfectly acceptable NHL back up... at best... he could actually be a starter. Reimer of course was a major reason why the Leafs made the playoffs. One of the higher save percentages in the league and an acceptable NHL starter no doubt.

Now we have 2 NHL starters, and one has to sit on the bench. Yet we CLEARLY need an upgrade at D with all of the shots we are giving up.

Yup.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON

Thanks for that.

I love his comments, happy to have him aboard!

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Well said and thank you for the reply here.

Most Leaf fans grow attached to their assets that get moved out that are currently here and analyze trades way too much, to the point where the question everything.

IMO, Bernier takes the starting role out of camp and doesn't look back.

James Reimer is an absolute pro and will continue to battle through the year for that starting position and his next contract.

Nonis has put the Leafs in a fantastic position moving forward in the goal tending department.

But like you said, many fans just don't know it yet.

Sucks for Reimer 'cause he has a career .625 point % with the Leafs (103 points over a full season), was the main reason why the Bruins series went to game #7.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Good luck with that one given the fact Bernier has never been a proven legit #1 NHL goalie.

Funny how potential is a given when discussing some players but just potential when discussing others.

Bernier has not proven he's a starter, it isn't just a matter of projecting a few starts and saying if you tripled those starts you'd be a successful starter.

Toronto is not Los Angeles. Ask Toskala if Toronto is San Jose? As Smith if Phoenix is Tampa.

I like the move, Giving up Frattin and a 2nd., is an easy swallow even for a competent back-up. If he becomes a starter it is good.

Frattin is a cheap replacement for Penner.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The same doubters are probably the same ones that questioned the JVR-Schenn trade last year.

Perhaps people just judge everything individually?

I was thrilled with the van Riemsdyk trade.
I'm happy with this one.

I just don't see any evidence Bernier is a proven starter.

If someone can post the proven NHL starter facts, that would be great. :p:

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
I disagree. So does Dave Nonis.

You can pretend that Reimer was a "strong point" for the Leafs, but if you're a fan of the team, you should be happy that your GM knows better, because the Leafs are unquestionably a much better team today then they were yesterday.

With a guy who has 60-something NHL games under his belt? Reimer was T-7th in save percentage this year and stole a few games for us. Without him, this team certainly doesn't make the playoffs. Bernier has tons of potential, which is great, but it doesn't mean Reimer is immediately expendable or the #2 in Toronto.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
The best thing about Bernier, which may have been overlooked thus far, is that he isn't a butterfly goaltender. He is a hybrid. Where Quick will always go into butterfly on just about every shot which makes the upper corner vulnerable, like a lot of goalies in the league, but Bernier will stay standing if he detects that puck going up. Makes a lot of shooters look foolish. He is one of the most balanced goalies around. There is no singular spot that he gets beaten, he covers every aspect of the net equally well.

He hasn't proven it to you, but he's proven it to us. All you're doing is looking at the stat sheet; however, I've seen every game of his NHL career, and I have also watched half of Reimer's. We've seen Bernier behind significantly worse defenses than what we've had the past couple of years, not to mention his numbers this year were very real (Quick was healthy this whole season and we were missing 2/3 of our very best defensive pieces the whole year). He beat Quick cleanly this regular season and there were very real debates that he should be used in the playoffs. The guy is rock solid. You're in for a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad