Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
you either draft a #1 goalie
trade for an established one (which i'm assuming would cost Kadri+ or gardiner+ to start)
or you trade for someone you think can become one

Reimer was never going to be a guy that can steal you games.

Leafs gave some promising depth players for a promising goalie.

I'm pretty sure our winning games 5 and 6 were pretty much all his doing. I'd call those games stolen.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
I love when people say this. High glove side is practically a weak spot for almost every goaltender in the league. Reimer was ****ing legit this year and saved the Leafs bacon on numerous occasions this year. Reimer made Carlyle's so called "great defensive system" look better than it actually was.

Not to mention that Bozak was the only Leaf to score in the shootout this year...no wonder we were 0-5 in them.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Seems like fair value for Bernier, just don't see why we did it. Reimer was solid last season, I would've much rather used assets on other things that I felt we needed more. What's done is done :dunno:

This acquisitions certainly makes it seem that Reimer, or Bernier, will be gone from the leafs with 1-2 years. I just hope we get more than what we just gave up.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
The jury is out on this deal, hope Bernier is the answer. At least we won't be getting Luongo!!!! Yay!

Ha, No Luongo was the first thing coming to mind. While it was unlikely to happen, the talking heads (looking at Dreger) would not shut up about that possibility.

Mike1

Jul 29, 2002
Mississauga,Ontario
Visit site
This is a bad move that didn't need to be made. Why change anything when goaltending was one of the reasons you made the playoffs last year? The Leafs had other needs that were more important. Bolstering the defence should have been a bigger priority than trading for another goalie. Now you have less assets to trade with...

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Up til the playoffs when we won the cup, the Quick vs Bernier debate was unbearable. We would fight on our own boards for hours and over months. Bernier is very composed, solid on his positioning. Our goalie trainer is Bill Ranford and he worked with both Quick and Bernier. The only reason Bernier wasn't our starting goalie was because of Quick. Bernier was by no means a back up, he was just playing behind Quick. Quick doesn't do as well on a split load, he needs a heavy load to play well so Bernier didn't get as many games. Bernier he has all star potential and a very calming presence in the locker room and on the ice. You're gonna love this guy. He's better than Price.

Bernier saved our ***** when Quick was injured. Never would have made the playoffs without him. Our side is gonna really miss him, but he needs to play #1 somewhere. Couldn't be happier for him that he landed in Toronto.

Also, he was willing to fight Crawford during a playoff game against the Hawks.

060213_goalies.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I like the trade and Bernier and think it's good to have competition in net, I just think some are over-rating him a little to much and are under-valuing what Reimer has done.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I love when people say this. High glove side is practically a weak spot for almost every goaltender in the league. Reimer was ****ing legit this year and saved the Leafs bacon on numerous occasions this year. Reimer made Carlyle's so called "great defensive system" look better than it actually was.

True about high glove, however if Reimer only had better puck handling skills and decent rebound control then he'd be a "complete" goalie... say, how come we cannot use the same term to describe goalies?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
So he was supposed to see around the 7ft Chara on the tying goal or make a save on a puck that Gardiner gift wrapped for Bergeron in OT? What about the first goal where he had 2 players in front of him, he was supposed to stop that as well? The 2nd goal the Leafs were just puck watching while Lucic gave Horton a nice cross-ice pass, but of course that's Reimer's fault for not having the reflexes of a god, right?

stop, its embarrassing. Really? the horton goal was Reimer getting beat plain and simple, the Lucic goal falls on Reimer not being able to stop the play earlier in the sustained pressure OR when the wrist shot from the point that he couldn't catch, the OT goal was poor rebound control, an inability to put a rebound out of the danger zone AND over commiting on the play.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
According to capgeek we're retained $492,500 for next season:

Scrivens, Ben - $122,500
Frattin, Matt - $370,000

Next to nothing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Bernier's glove is good but his rebound control is excellent! I've seen EVERY one of his starts and he's very good at absorbing the shots that hit his body and directing shots on the outside of his range into the corners. SOLID rebound control.

Surprising on the Kings (a Sutter team) Quick had a .902 save percentage.

Not thrilled Bernier is a smaller keeper though, with the same save percentage as Reimer.

Career

Reimer .915
Bernier .912

Couple nice young keepers. Burke's record with goaltenders is not good.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I like Bernier but i hate how so many people here are counting Reimer out. Despite the first round loss Reimer played solid this season. His glove hand is still an issue but he is one of the biggest reasons we did as well as we did.

I look at it as having 2 promising goalies with internal competition(which is always good) and both with potential to become stars in this league. I like the trade but don't give up on Reimer.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
Is Gardiner proven? I wasn't aware the Leafs were trading a Norris winner. Your crystal ball broken?

no you made assumptions that Gardiner can't be Letang because of his performance in his 1 1/2 (1/4) of a season where Letang wasn't who he is until several years later in the league. D take longer to develop. I wasn't aware we were getting a #1 center out of this draft. Most likely a #1B or a great #2. You've been doing a very good job labelling the top prospects as potential sure fire stars while criticizing other assets. Was Matt Dumba not one of your favourites last year and look at his performance this year. Thank you, come again. Should stick to the draft part of the forum, it's your only notable contribution to this board.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
This is a bad move that didn't need to be made. Why change anything when goaltending was one of the reasons you made the playoffs last year? The Leafs had other needs that were more important. Bolstering the defence should have been a bigger priority than trading for another goalie. Now you have less assets to trade with...

Did Scrivens get us there ? So upgrading Scrivens to Bernier is a mistake how ? Until James loses his starting job you are talking smack and even then, if he's better.....

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Despite the first round loss Reimer played solid this season. His glove hand is still an issue but he is one of the biggest reasons we did as well as we did.
I think some people only bring up Reimer's glove hand and rebound control because it was mentioned a lot of times by Hughson, Simpson, and Healy during the Leafs/Bruins series. So they might have planted a seed of doubt in other people's minds because they like to bring it up everytime Reimer let out a rebound.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I think some people only bring up Reimer's glove hand and rebound control because it was mentioned a lot of times by Hughson, Simpson, and Healy during the Leafs/Bruins series. So they might have planted a seed of doubt in other people's minds because they like to bring it up everytime Reimer let out a rebound.

I bring it up because I watched the games and cringed multiple times during the boston series

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area

Or some of us are just educated in the art of goaltending having played it at a high level and coached it for several years that we recognize a goalies weakness and don't ignore it?

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I'm not sure if this trade changes the complexity of the Leafs game plan a tonne beyond knowing that Scrivens is never going to be a starter and Bernier might be.

Its a good trade, and now people can stop referring to Frattin as some untouchable messiah because he won a game in Buffalo. I will admit, and I am not big on Frattin at all, that he did change the complexity of the 3rd line in the playoffs. But, you need to get there to do that, and with an 82 game schedule, Bernier will help immensely.

This is just a good trade for both teams.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Here it is. Took forever to find this. One of the guys on our side made this one. He is so calm when he plays (ice in his veins) and he has a ton of attitude so you'll love this. This our Conference Finals game. Game 2..

BernierComeAtMeBro.gif

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I don't know how to feel about this, I'm so torn.

Frattin was an awesome guy and I was really excited to have him, I still think he can be a solid 20 goal scorer and I'm really gonna miss him. I have a lot of respect for how he learned from his life mistakes, paid his way back to college, finished off his degree and THEN joined the Marlies/Leafs, rather than taking the easy way out and just going straight to the AHL when he had the chance. He's a solid player and he plays hard, he's going to be a great playoff performer for L.A. I bet.

Another thing about this that kind of bugs me is that for the Leafs to win this trade, Bernier is going to have to really well, or at least outperform the assets that were given up. In all likelihood for that to happen, he will have to unseat Reimer.

The last thing I want is for either goalie to have their career ruined. I hope we can do a St.Louis Blues style platoon, but the reality is, even with platoons, teams always choose one guy in the playoffs.

If Bernier does end up being our #1, I hope Reimer goes on to have a good career with another team, because he's an outstanding guy and a great person, he deserves that much.

I hope the fans don't forget Reimer all of a sudden when Bernier starts playing, fans in this city have short memories....Reimer has worked his ass off to get where he is and has done it through the injuries, media scrutiny, Luongo rumours, Bernier rumours, Kipper rumours, etc.

MapleLeafGardens*

As usual Leafs Nation has the newest Leaf Jonathan Bernier elevated to demi-god like status right after the trade. Yet when i look at Bernier's stats this guy has never played more than 25 games in an NHL season and has only played a whopping 30 minutes of NHL playoff hockey.

2009–10 Los Angeles Kings NHL Games 3
2010–11 Los Angeles Kings NHL Games 25
2011–12 Los Angeles Kings NHL Games 16
2012–13 Los Angeles Kings NHL Games 14

Bernier has been a backup who has never played an entire season as a proven legit #1 NHL goalie. I sure hope Nonis knows WTF he is doing with this trade. This trade reminds me...this guy could be a younger version of Vesa Toskala.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad