Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Hating it. Why give these assets up for another Reimer? There are much bigger holes to fill than the non-existent "back-up goaltender" hole.

Reimer is the back-up goaltender. This was a trade to finally address the issues in the Leaf net. You can stick your head in the sand and pretend that James Reimer is a solid #1 goaltender, but Nonis - and the rest of the Leaf brass - clearly had issues with his sub-par rebound control and maddening inability to catch hockey pucks. Bernier will be a solid improvement on Reimer and this deal, without a doubt, makes the Leafs a better team.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Reimer is the back-up goaltender. This was a trade to finally address the issues in the Leaf net. You can stick your head in the sand and pretend that James Reimer is a solid #1 goaltender, but Nonis - and the rest of the Leaf brass - clearly had issues with his sub-par rebound control and maddening inability to catch hockey pucks. Bernier will be a solid improvement on Reimer and this deal, without a doubt, makes the Leafs a better team.

Goaltending was one of the strong points for the Leafs this season. Reimer was the main reason they even qualified for the playoffs.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
About the only thing I can say about this deal right now is it will put an end to the Luongo to TOR talk, thank the Maker.

It also wont shock me if the reason it wasnt a 2013 2nd was because its in play in a another deal already.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Reimer is as good as gone, I like the guy, but this trade pretty much has put it out there with GM's. You want goaltending, speak to me Dave Nonis. You want to trade your pick, speak to me Nonis.

I have assets in Gardiner < Rielly
Reimer < Bernier

to make it happen.

You really have no idea how spots work, do you? Why would you trade someone just because you recently acquired an unproven commodity? Do you even realize how stupid Nonis would look if he traded Reimer and Bernier failed? Same goes for Gardiner and Rielly.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I like this deal for Toronto. The biggest strength we have is wing depth. Scrivens is nothing really, a 2nd is an asset but Frattin is a 25 year old 3rd line winger. 15 goals in 82 games with a few injuries.

Toronto has

Lupul Kessel
JVR Kulemin

And have D'amigo, Ross, Biggs, Ryan, Ashton, who can fill the grinder roles as well as Frattin.

Now Toronto has Reimer (25), Bernier (25), Owuya (22), Sparks (20) in the pipeline.
Great Move.

Still Need another center and a top 4 d but other than that, Im happy with where the team is going

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
About the only thing I can say about this deal right now is it will put an end to the Luongo to TOR talk, thank the Maker.

It also wont shock me if the reason it wasnt a 2013 2nd was because its in play in a another deal already.

Nonis certainly seems to have many lines in the water.

How many others will catch something?

lLeafer

Feb 27, 2012
So he was supposed to see around the 7ft Chara on the tying goal or make a save on a puck that Gardiner gift wrapped for Bergeron in OT? What about the first goal where he had 2 players in front of him, he was supposed to stop that as well? The 2nd goal the Leafs were just puck watching while Lucic gave Horton a nice cross-ice pass, but of course that's Reimer's fault for not having the reflexes of a god, right?

Yeah, he was supposed to stop the puck. That's pretty much all he's there to do.

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
People who dislike this trade are delusional. The Leafs were never going to make a serious run with a Reimer/Scrivens tandem. If Reimer faltered, you guys were screwed. You can't be so weak in goalie depth and expect to be successful. You also can't rely solely on Reimer. He's still not proven to be the bonafide #1 goalie that a franchise can bank on. It takes a good amount of time to reach the same status as Lundqvist, Rask, Price, Quick, etc. Until one of your goalies becomes that, you need a solid 1A/1B tandem.

Just like my team needs Holtby and Neuvirth to carry each other you guys need Reimer and someone else much better than Scrivens. Now you guys got that piece and can relax because you just fixed your goalie depth for years at a very cheap price.

Bernier is better than Reims and will most likely take over the #1 spot. Reims will get his chances but he'll basically be there in case Bernier gets injured. It's good to have this competition.

And Frattin is very replaceable. It boggles my mind that some fans here are that upset over losing him when you just got Bernier; the best goalie the Leafs have had in like a decade and finally one that can legitimately be labelled as a potential franchise goalie. Really guys, Frattin could easily be forgotten. His production wasn't good enough to be that distraught over losing him. I expect Frattin to be pretty average in LA's bottom 6. Get over him guys.

The only people thinking this trade wasn't a steal for the Leafs are Leaf fans themselves because they're too sentimental towards Frattin and last year's home-made tandem of Reims/Scrivens. Every GM in the league would've pulled the trigger on this if they were the Leafs. It really seems like LA got underpaid for Bernier because they had to let him go.

Every Leaf fan should be rejoicing right now. No doubt you guys won this trade.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Bernier trying to fight Crawford, I like feisty players.

tumblr_mnsvyvrnMN1qg71cno1_400.gif

Maybe another French-Canadian enforcer goalie like Felix Potvin? :)

Truculence from the net out! Fraser will have to hold him back

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No one talking about how trading Scrivens's rights makes spending room for Kadri... or, if we really want to speculate, Bozak.

???

Bernier is a RFA and needs a new contract..

Don't you think Bernier's contract will be applied in part, but > than to Scrivens departing cap hit in net for Leafs.

Bernier will make more money than Scrivens which in turn leaves less cap space for players such as Kadri at other positions.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Since Bernier is in RFA do the Leafs just give him a qualifying offer so he is re-signed for next season or do they need to work out a brand new contract?

A qualifying offer prevents him from becoming a UFA.

You still have to work out a contract, and he could be offersheeted.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Maybe another French-Canadian enforcer goalie like Felix Potvin? :)

Truculence from the net out! Fraser will have to hold him back

The spirit of Burke lives on in TO.

If I am not mistaken, Reimer wanted to scrap Markstrom when Petrovich jumped kadri. :laugh:

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
People who dislike this trade are delusional. The Leafs were never going to make a serious run with a Reimer/Scrivens tandem. If Reimer faltered, you guys were screwed. You can't be so weak in goalie depth and expect to be successful. You also can't rely solely on Reimer. He's still not proven to be the bonafide #1 goalie that a franchise can bank on. It takes a good amount of time to reach the same status as Lundqvist, Rask, Price, Quick, etc. Until one of your goalies becomes that, you need a solid 1A/1B tandem.

Just like my team needs Holtby and Neuvirth to carry each other you guys need Reimer and someone else much better than Scrivens. Now you guys got that piece and can relax because you just fixed your goalie depth for years at a very cheap price.

Bernier is better than Reims and will most likely take over the #1 spot. Reims will get his chances but he'll basically be there in case Bernier gets injured. It's good to have this competition.

And Frattin is very replaceable. It boggles my mind that some fans here are that upset over losing him when you just got Bernier; the best goalie the Leafs have had in like a decade and finally one that can legitimately be labelled as a potential franchise goalie. Really guys, Frattin could easily be forgotten. His production wasn't good enough to be that distraught over losing him. I expect Frattin to be pretty average in LA's bottom 6. Get over him guys.

The only people thinking this trade wasn't a steal for the Leafs are Leaf fans themselves because they're too sentimental towards Frattin and last year's home-made tandem of Reims/Scrivens. Every GM in the league would've pulled the trigger on this if they were the Leafs. It really seems like LA got underpaid for Bernier because they had to let him go.

Every Leaf fan should be rejoicing right now. No doubt you guys won this trade.

Amen. Someone with a bit of sense!

jimmy1100

Feb 17, 2007
Colorado Springs
How is Bernier's glove and rebound control?

Reimer's glove has improved but his rebound control still needs work...but I think his rebound control is bad because the Leafs give up far too many shots.

Bernier's glove is good but his rebound control is excellent! I've seen EVERY one of his starts and he's very good at absorbing the shots that hit his body and directing shots on the outside of his range into the corners. SOLID rebound control.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So he was supposed to see around the 7ft Chara on the tying goal or make a save on a puck that Gardiner gift wrapped for Bergeron in OT? What about the first goal where he had 2 players in front of him, he was supposed to stop that as well? The 2nd goal the Leafs were just puck watching while Lucic gave Horton a nice cross-ice pass, but of course that's Reimer's fault for not having the reflexes of a god, right?

On the goal with Chara blowing Phaneuf out of the play, it would have been tough for anyone to make that save.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
you either draft a #1 goalie
trade for an established one (which i'm assuming would cost Kadri+ or gardiner+ to start)
or you trade for someone you think can become one

Reimer was never going to be a guy that can steal you games.

Leafs gave some promising depth players for a promising goalie.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Wow this board is so frustrating sometimes.. who in their right mind really thinks we could have traded a back up goalie (who I doubt would have even seen the light of day in the NHL if not for Toronto's goalie problems) and a third liner who can hardly even stay on the big club (and wasn't good after he came back from injury) for a #1 centre?? Give your head a shake!

And all of a sudden Reimer is the #1 goalie we've been waiting for? He's injury prone, inconsistent and every player in the nhl knows he can't save a puck high glove (0-5 in shootouts). When the Leafs are planning on him being #1 he's unproven and everyone complains.. now that we have a potential superstar goalie Reimer is a God on skates and we didn't need the upgrade. ok...

I love when people say this. High glove side is practically a weak spot for almost every goaltender in the league. Reimer was ****ing legit this year and saved the Leafs bacon on numerous occasions this year. Reimer made Carlyle's so called "great defensive system" look better than it actually was.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Nonis is building from the goal out and we now have a very good Goal Tending tandem and as much as I liked Frattin you have to give something to get something.

Next year we are set in Goal... Bernier/Reimer

Nonis now has to focus on Defense and Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad