Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Up til the playoffs when we won the cup, the Quick vs Bernier debate was unbearable. We would fight on our own boards for hours and over months. Bernier is very composed, solid on his positioning. Our goalie trainer is Bill Ranford and he worked with both Quick and Bernier. The only reason Bernier wasn't our starting goalie was because of Quick. Bernier was by no means a back up, he was just playing behind Quick. Quick doesn't do as well on a split load, he needs a heavy load to play well so Bernier didn't get as many games. Bernier he has all star potential and a very calming presence in the locker room and on the ice. You're gonna love this guy. He's better than Price.

Bernier saved our ***** when Quick was injured. Never would have made the playoffs without him.

There you have it Leaf fans. So can you homers who hate this deal please calm down? we got a guy who is possibly on par with JQ for what? a 25 year old who has yet to solidify his spot, a back up goalie, and a 2nd rounder in the draft of our choice. None of these pieces were going to be used to get that highly coveted #2D or #1C nor were they pieces that would replace those that would leave. This really is a something out of nothing. Carter Ashton, Rad Boss, and Jerry D'amigo are coming up soon (not to mention Mckegg, Biggs, Leivo) 2/3/4th line wingers with grit and finish is one thing our cupboard is full of already, and can be filled short term via FA

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nonis is no Burke in the "Big trade out of left field!" but I look forward to it.

Nonis is more than capable of pulling off a huge deal, he did this with Luongo already.

Given he is more experienced now and probably has more contacts, I expect him to make bold moves. He's a better and more confident GM today than his first go around.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Sounds like Toronto expects to be busy on the trade front in the week ahead. Still eager to add a young centre and top 4 D.

Just saw this on Twitter and came here to post it. Everyone is *****ing about how this trade makes no sense because we have Reimer and we need centres and defense: here's your answer! The SCF are still being played and we make one trade and everyone acts like its going to be the only thing we do over the summer. Have a little faith, people.

leafspring*

Randy Carlyle never had faith in Reimer and if you doubt that just bring up one compliment he made other than "we just ask him to stop pucks and he does that" lol. Carlyle's heart skips beats every time Reims lets another shot pop right out of his glove.

Reimer needs to really work hard on his glove hand and most generally when players really work on a specific skill,it turns out to be one of their best skills. Carlyle is going to go with Bernier and Reimer will be just as classy in the backup role as we have seen from Scrivvy.

Reimer might be gone at the draft but for those thinking that,its not likely with his skill quality and friendly cap hit.

So we now have a excellent tandem i'd say.

In burke I trust*

maybe there's more to this, because frattin obviously did not look the same after the knee injury and maybe their is some serious damage. I dont think nonnis would of traded frattin if frattin said he just needs the off-season to regain strength and comfortability in his knee.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
agreed as a hab fan is Bernier really an upgrade on Reimer ?

Reims played well , he had a year to go on his deal , give him the #1 job and see if he can be a legit 65 game starter

if not then find a goalie

all the Leafs really needed was a nice vet in the pipes to mentor the kid

now his confidence maybe shot , plus I really like Frattin , he will bag 20 in LA

The deal itself was ok , I dont get the nned for Bernier who has limited playing experience

bernier wouldn't be around in the next week let alone 65 games into the season

Feb 24, 2004
Toskala was already 30 at the time of his acquisition, Bernier is only 24. Also Bernier has been considered to have huge potential since the time he was drafted, while Toskala was 4th round pick. We had to trade the 13th overall pick to acquire Toskala, we didn't even have to give up the 21st overall this time.

Bernier was awarded as the best goalie in the AHL as a 21 year old.

This is not the same trade and Nonis is not JFJ

This is not the exact same thing. We just acquired a high

It's a trade-off - obviously Toskala was older, but Bernier is unproven. It's also completely in doubt if we even needed another goalie.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Randy Carlyle never had faith in Reimer and if you doubt that just bring up one compliment he made other than "we just ask him to stop pucks and he does that" lol. Carlyle's heart skips beats every time Reims lets another shot pop right out of his glove.

Reimer needs to really work hard on his glove hand and most generally when players really work on a specific skill,it turns out to be one of their best skills. Carlyle is going to go with Bernier and Reimer will be just as classy in the backup role as we have seen from Scrivvy.

Reimer might be gone at the draft but for those thinking that,its not likely with his skill quality and friendly cap hit.

So we now have a excellent tandem i'd say.

I don't think that's what he meant. there was another one where Carlyle basically said "it's his job." I think it's to stem the goalie hero worship, and remind everyone his job IS to stop the puck.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Just saw this on Twitter and came here to post it. Everyone is *****ing about how this trade makes no sense because we have Reimer and we need centres and defense: here's your answer! The SCF are still being played and we make one trade and everyone acts like its going to be the only thing we do over the summer. Have a little faith, people.

I welcome change, because we have the chips to play. Some of Leafs nation should learn that being afraid of change is just non action, no action means you are not moving fwd. Too many scared Leafs fans, I am all for big and bold moves to get us closer to the Cup.

Feb 24, 2004

We probably could have used some of those assets we just traded for Bernier to get that centre or defenseman....

TOG26

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Woot.

Adding those to Bernier would make a very successful off-season.

Every GM in the league during the offseason "We are looking for a top center and a top 4 defenseman". This isn't something that happens in the modern NHL unless you give up assets.

leafspring*

I don't think that's what he meant. there was another one where Carlyle basically said "it's his job." I think it's to stem the goalie hero worship, and remind everyone his job IS to stop the puck.

You could be absolutely right Daisy. Bernier wears Frasers # i see in the pic! Mark is going to get a free dinner from this deal either way lol.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
If we're looking to add a young centre, one or two of our centres are on the move.

Bozak, grabo, kadri, mcclement. Most likely grabo or bozie.

Feb 24, 2004
I welcome change, because we have the chips to play. Some of Leafs nation should learn that being afraid of change is just non action, no action means you are not moving fwd. Too many scared Leafs fans, I am all for big and bold moves to get us closer to the Cup.

Weren't we one of the most active teams from 2005-2011?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Is Gardiner proven? I wasn't aware the Leafs were trading a Norris winner. Your crystal ball broken?

Although I like them him as players(especially MR), Are Morgan Rielly, Matt Finn or Stuart Percy proven?

Cause that's the apparent insurance and rational to trading Gardiner.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
We probably could have used some of those assets we just traded for Bernier to get that centre or defenseman....

We got the best player in the deal Nonis pulled off today. That's a win to me.

We have tons of other things to trade as well. Nonis said no one on this team is untouchable. If the right offer is on the table and it makes sense to pull the trigger, it's going to happen.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Every GM in the league during the offseason "We are looking for a top center and a top 4 defenseman". This isn't something that happens in the modern NHL unless you give up assets.

It looks like Nonis has the balls to go out and get what he wants. He has learned from Burke and grown since his Vancouver days.

Assets will be traded to make his stamp on the team and bring it closer to his vision.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Great trade, I never had much confidence in Reimer if we were to go forward and that choke job of 2013 did not help. This puts Optimus Reim in the role most of us are more comfortable with, quality back up role.

Nonis is the MAN!!!

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Well it appears Nonis is a Man with a Plan. Should be an interesting week. Twitter is talking about a young center and top 4 D coming to the leafs in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad