Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
Matt Frattin is just as much a spare part as Jonathan Bernier. Neither is proven.

I also find it humorous that people just magically forget that cap space is an asset also - far less flexibility now.

Finally - I'm sure I'll have to repeat these stats again, but take a look at these stats:

Vesa Toskala, prior to Leafs acquisition: 5 seasons, 914 Save Pct, 2.15 GAA
Jonathan Bernier, prior to Leafs acquisition: 5 seasons, 912 Save Pct, 2.19 GAA

The only difference? Bernier has played 62 games. Toskala had played 114 games by the time we acquired him. So there probably is a better case to be made for Toskala continuing that play based on the sample size.

Different Leafs GM. Same stupid mistakes.

Toskala was already 30 at the time of his acquisition, Bernier is only 24. Also Bernier has been considered to have huge potential since the time he was drafted, while Toskala was 4th round pick. We had to trade the 13th overall pick to acquire Toskala, we didn't even have to give up the 21st overall this time.

Bernier was awarded as the best goalie in the AHL as a 21 year old.

This is not the same trade and Nonis is not JFJ

This is not the exact same thing. We just acquired a high

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
I'm a little worried on Frattin. Heard he is bouncing back from a clean up on his knee? I understand he had an off year because of that, which happens on recovery. I can understand if he isn't scoring, but how is his skating. Did it decline? He can work on his scoring touch overtime, but am wondering if his skating dropped significantly as that would show he hasn't fully rehabbed it yet.

Also, guess we got a goalie too? Read somewhere he needs some work but is very serviceable with a solid work ethic. Is this your assessment as well?

maple syrup

Nov 24, 2010
I like this trade, we finally have a competent goalie if our starter gets injured. Essentially we give up Frattin + 2014/2015 2nd, which isn't significant at all. I was always uneasy whenever I saw Scrivens start this year.

nazembiggs*

This thought just came to my mind. The last memory I have of Matt Frattin as a Maple Leaf was him missing the net on that breakaway against the Bruins in Game 7 when the Leafs were winning 4-2.

Yea now try and remember the last memory you have of Riemer, and you'll see why he's joining Frattin on the traded list sooner rather than later.:yo:

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
I think I realize now what makes me nervous about this trade. It is the 2nd rounder traded. I guess I am gun shy with Leaf GM's who trade high picks, particularly 1st rounders. I am just praying that this is not a sign of things to come with Nonis that we again get impatient and start trading high draft picks for the here and now. That thinking has kept the Leafs mediocre (not bad but not a contender) for too long

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like this trade, we finally have a competent goalie if our starter gets injured. Essentially we give up Frattin + 2014/2015 2nd, which isn't significant at all. I was always uneasy whenever I saw Scrivens start this year.

He was wildly inconsistent.

Jacob8hockey*

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Sounds like Toronto expects to be busy on the trade front in the week ahead. Still eager to add a young centre and top 4 D.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 4m
Leafs GM, Dave Nonis will speak with Bernier's agent, Pat Brisson about an extension in next day or two. Bernier can become a ufa in 3 yrs.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.

To be honest, I hope he takes the #1 job and your goalie goes to back up time. They'll be competing for #1 in training camp for sure...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
ooh we sent MONEY...
that's probably why Philly couldn't close the deal.

TOG26

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Nonis taking salary in this deal is just the icing on the cake. Trades our cheap players with the cap going down. Has to re-sign an RFA in a position where we didn't need an upgrade and were saving money. And now has to go out and fill spots in the top 4 of the defense and top 2 lines with even less money.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I'm a little worried on Frattin. Heard he is bouncing back from a clean up on his knee? I understand he had an off year because of that, which happens on recovery. I can understand if he isn't scoring, but how is his skating. Did it decline? He can work on his scoring touch overtime, but am wondering if his skating dropped significantly as that would show he hasn't fully rehabbed it yet.

Also, guess we got a goalie too? Read somewhere he needs some work but is very serviceable with a solid work ethic. Is this your assessment as well?

Frattin can skate just as well as before. He is only 6'0 tall, but when he hits or receives a hit, his strength makes him look like a 6'5 player.

He lost his scoring touch late into the season, becauase he seemed a little hesitant due to his recent knee injury. I am sure a good hard off-season work out plan will return his confidence. He will most likely be a 15 goal 30-40 point player, who has grit.

Scrivens is a very serviceable back up goalie. He is huge and battles hard in the net. Very good athleticism. Needs to work on rebound control, and focus. He has posted excellent numbers this season with a decent .915 sv%

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Sounds like Toronto expects to be busy on the trade front in the week ahead. Still eager to add a young centre and top 4 D.

Nonis is no Burke in the "Big trade out of left field!" but I look forward to it.

In burke I trust*

If this is a precursor to Reimer getting traded...

i strongly hope not. BTW i absolutely love the deal, but Bernier has to show he can be the full time number one before even the thought of reimer being traded. I see what your saying though, yes competition is good but it cant last forever, one or two seasons maybe, but high caliber goalies want to be the outright number one goalie. Never the less im extremely excited to see Jonathan Bernier play this season. Good job nonnis on this one. :handclap:

lLeafer

Feb 27, 2012
Love this trade.. Reimer is unlucky with injuries and came out of nowhere to start because the Leafs didn't have any other options. It's a real nice story but I think Bernier has more potential. I like Frattin but he's replaceable.. and while Scrivens played well and seems like a good team guy, he's a backup who like Reimer was really on the team because we didn't have another choice. I think picks are way overrated and overvalued (except 1st rounders and even then only top 10ish) by the Leaf hate machine so I don't mind the second. If Bernier pans out this is awesome, but hey it's pro sports so you never know.

onemorecup*

Hating it. Why give these assets up for another Reimer? There are much bigger holes to fill than the non-existent "back-up goaltender" hole.

agreed as a hab fan is Bernier really an upgrade on Reimer ?

Reims played well , he had a year to go on his deal , give him the #1 job and see if he can be a legit 65 game starter

if not then find a goalie

all the Leafs really needed was a nice vet in the pipes to mentor the kid

now his confidence maybe shot , plus I really like Frattin , he will bag 20 in LA

The deal itself was ok , I dont get the nned for Bernier who has limited playing experience

MapleLeafGardens*

Meh really don't like giving up Frattin and a 2nd in this deal for Bernier.

And we still need to find a better tv color man than that god awful tool Greg Millen.

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011

It definitely affected his skating but it got better as the season went on. Great straight-away speed. His lateral movement and poor hands hold him back though. I don't think his injury should be a problem.

Scrivens is good. Still hard to tell how good he'll be at the NHL level. Good guy, good work ethic, always had a good attitude when he was backing up Reimer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad