Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
Good things about the trade: Leafs get the player with the highest upside in a critical position while giving up only easily replaceable assets. Bad things about the trade: Does not cure cancer or establish world peace.

onemorecup*

bernier wouldn't be around in the next week let alone 65 games into the season

agreed but your d needs more work in terms of shutdown d man than replacing a 23 year old maybe gaolie for another maybe

OTHER DEALS MUST BE COMING

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
And the Kings, Rags, Preds, Boston, etc don't?

Actually no, they don't play nearly as defensive a system as you'd think. Sure, they button it down in the playoffs but, they were top 10 in GF as well as being top 10 in GA, the Leafs on the other hand even with Reimers 924 sv% everyone clamours for were 18 in GA, which is on the wrong side of the top 15/16 (playoff spots) This years leafs team was carried by quick strike offence and a defensive system that allowed the goalie the greatest chance to succeed at stopping pucks.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
It's a trade-off - obviously Toskala was older, but Bernier is unproven. It's also completely in doubt if we even needed another goalie.

That much is true. But with Reimers injury history it will be good to have some insurance in net.

But the main reason why Bernier has been unproven is because he hasn't had the chance to prove himself because he is stuck behind a top 2-5 goalie in the league...I know Toskala was in a similar situation behind Nabokov back then, but I don't think he was ever considered to have the potential that Bernier has since his days in junior right through to the NHL.

lLeafer

Feb 27, 2012
Wow this board is so frustrating sometimes.. who in their right mind really thinks we could have traded a back up goalie (who I doubt would have even seen the light of day in the NHL if not for Toronto's goalie problems) and a third liner who can hardly even stay on the big club (and wasn't good after he came back from injury) for a #1 centre?? Give your head a shake!

And all of a sudden Reimer is the #1 goalie we've been waiting for? He's injury prone, inconsistent and every player in the nhl knows he can't save a puck high glove (0-5 in shootouts). When the Leafs are planning on him being #1 he's unproven and everyone complains.. now that we have a potential superstar goalie Reimer is a God on skates and we didn't need the upgrade. ok...

Hockeylaw

Jan 16, 2013
I think what I like most about this trade is that it signals that Nonis isn't afraid to make waves.

Good move. Frattin will be missed, but is replaceable. As much as I love Reimer, it never hurts to have more skill/potential in net. Goaltending above all else has been the achilles heel of this hockey club for years. If Reimer is injured or takes a step back in his development, we now have an ace in the hole in the form of a young goaltender who, by all accounts, might well be a star in the making.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
i love frattin and hope he becomes a 20+ goal scorer there, but this is a trade the leafs need to make and IMO win.

Sure Reimer could turn out to be great but there's nothing wrong with having the option of 2 great goalies, or incase 1 does flop.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
We probably could have used some of those assets we just traded for Bernier to get that centre or defenseman....

As Nonis said his goal is to upgrade wherever he can, goalie happens to be the easiest to do that in and so it's done. Do you truly believe that not having Frattin or Scrivens is what will stop us from an upgrade at C or D ?

This was a good value deal and no matter how you look at it. Bernier is an upgrade on Scrivens and Frattin was not a major part of the team so our team improved, try as you might to spin it negatively.

I like this deal, wasn't sold on either player so I'll only miss the 2nd which for Bernier, I don't mind one bit.

I also like that he is so young and has a cup ring, he knows what it takes to get there even if he was not the starter. This is a quality our team needs more of, the culture of winning.

If I later find out we missed out on Malkin or Yandle because the other party had wanted Frattin or Scrivens so badly I will buy into your negativity, until then, not so much.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Based on the Hextall interview, sounds like Bernier has been on Nonis' radar for months. Definitely see Reimer moving.

Feel a little bad for Reims that his last memory of the Leafs would be game seven.

Reimer isn't moving immediately because if Bernier is a bust that leaves us high and dry. Expect both to start until a clear #1 emerges.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
That much is true. But with Reimers injury history it will be good to have some insurance in net.

But the main reason why Bernier has been unproven is because he hasn't had the chance to prove himself because he is stuck behind a top 2-5 goalie in the league...I know Toskala was in a similar situation behind Nabokov back then, but I don't think he was ever considered to have the potential that Bernier has since his days in junior right through to the NHL.

I agree, if anybody really thought that we would go into training camp with the same goalie set up we went into this shortened season with then I'm glad they're not in hockey ops. Reimer has yet to carry a load greater than 20 games at a time and we sure do not want to be in a situation of reimer out and us going with Scrivens and Macintyre/Mark from the park?

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Bernier trying to fight Crawford, I like feisty players.

tumblr_mnsvyvrnMN1qg71cno1_400.gif

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
This deal pretty much Guarantees we will see great goaltending for years to come.

Whether its from Reimer or Bernier is what remains to be seen.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Takes massive stones to make a deal like this. Fantastic trade to boot.

Wow! :handclap:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Is that even allowed anymore?

They will retain part of Frattins salery, 500k by the sound of it. This I believe is limited to one year.

This was part of the new CBA and ironically and idea Burke pushed hard for, I think we already retained some salery in an earlier trade this year.

This is my year!
Dec 19, 2011
The past
The jury is out on this deal, hope Bernier is the answer. At least we won't be getting Luongo!!!! Yay!

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
We probably could have used some of those assets we just traded for Bernier to get that centre or defenseman....

Which Top 4 D or top 6 C do you get for a package including any of what we just moved? Like someone previously said if we are talking trade for top end talent, then its not Frattin, its Kulie and or JVR or Gunnarson/Franson and its 1st round pick(s) or #51 this year, not a 2nd in the future... Lets get some perspective on values here people.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nonis has just acquired Jonathan Bernier who is a proven winner and successful at every level he has played.. NHL, AHL, CHL, and internationally with Team Canada at Spengler and WJC etc.

Resume:
Awards by league

- AHL Best Goaltender "Baz Bastien Trophy" 09/10
- AHL First All-Star Team 09/10
- CHL Second All-Star Team 06/07
- CHL Top Prospects Game 05/06
- NHL Stanley Cup Champion 11/12
- QMJHL Champion 06/07
- QMJHL Playoffs MVP "Guy Lafleur Trophy" 06/07
- QMJHL Second All-Star Team 06/07
- Spengler Cup winner 12/13
- U18 WJC All-Star Team 05/06
- U20 WJC Gold Medal 07/08

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Based on the Hextall interview, sounds like Bernier has been on Nonis' radar for months. Definitely see Reimer moving.

Feel a little bad for Reims that his last memory of the Leafs would be game seven.

Neither goaltender is going anywhere any time soon. The farm is years away from having anyone bump either one out and individually both can get us into the playoffs.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Really? have we all not been down this road before? 3 of the 4 goals in that comeback were what you could easily qualify as the goalies fault. watch those again and hopefully you'll see it.

So he was supposed to see around the 7ft Chara on the tying goal or make a save on a puck that Gardiner gift wrapped for Bergeron in OT? What about the first goal where he had 2 players in front of him, he was supposed to stop that as well? The 2nd goal the Leafs were just puck watching while Lucic gave Horton a nice cross-ice pass, but of course that's Reimer's fault for not having the reflexes of a god, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad