Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Nonis has just acquired Jonathan Bernier who is a proven winner and successful at every level he has played.. NHL, AHL, CHL, and internationally with Team Canada at Spengler and WJC etc.

Resume:

At the Spengler Bernier started the first game, then Ruff chose Dubnyk to play the rest of the tournament.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think some people only bring up Reimer's glove hand and rebound control because it was mentioned a lot of times by Hughson, Simpson, and Healy during the Leafs/Bruins series. So they might have planted a seed of doubt in other people's minds because they like to bring it up everytime Reimer let out a rebound.

Crawford mentioned all the shots glove hand and so did everyone else. What are the Hawks thinking?

Bernier to the Hawks for ... :sarcasm:

Bodangles

Jul 21, 2010
Kingston, ON
Unless you get Mac back for less then 2mill a year, this is a dumb trade. Frattin was a perfect cheap replacement for the third line with the cap going down. Also Scrivens played good enough to be our backup.

That's precisely why this was a good trade for us. Unless the cap was going down and LA (not Toronto) needed a cheap 3rd-line replacement, we wouldn't have received Bernier so cheap.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
As usual Leafs Nation has the newest Leaf Jonathan Bernier elevated to demi-god like status after the trade. Yet when i look at Bernier's stats this guy has never played more than 25 games in an NHL season and has only played a whopping 30 minutes in the playoffs.

2009–10 Los Angeles Kings NHL Games 3
2010–11 Los Angeles Kings NHL 25
2011–12 Los Angeles Kings NHL 16
2012–13 Los Angeles Kings NHL 14

Bernier has been a backup who has never played an entire year as a legit #1 NHL goalie. I sure hope Nonis knows WTF he is doing with this trade.

Our team has been so devoid of talent the past decade that our fanbase actually mourns the loss of players like Matt Frattin and Viktor Stalberg. It's embarrassing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
As usual Leafs Nation has the newest Leaf Jonathan Bernier elevated to demi-god like status right after the trade. Yet when i look at Bernier's stats this guy has never played more than 25 games in an NHL season and has only played a whopping 30 minutes of NHL playoff hockey.

2010–11 Los Angeles Kings NHL Games 25
2011–12 Los Angeles Kings NHL Games 16
2012–13 Los Angeles Kings NHL Games 14

Bernier has been a backup who has never played an entire season as a proven legit #1 NHL goalie. I sure hope Nonis knows WTF he is doing with this trade.

I don't think the price is high, unless Bernier is just a back-up.

Bernier is unproven and has played on a top team.

It is worth it, but he is hardly a guaranteed starter. And he's small.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
As usual Leafs Nation has the newest Leaf Jonathan Bernier elevated to demi-god like status right after the trade. Yet when i look at Bernier's stats this guy has never played more than 25 games in an NHL season and has only played a whopping 30 minutes of NHL playoff hockey.

2010–11 Los Angeles Kings NHL Games 25
2011–12 Los Angeles Kings NHL Games 16
2012–13 Los Angeles Kings NHL Games 14

Bernier has been a backup who has never played an entire season as a proven legit #1 NHL goalie. I sure hope Nonis knows WTF he is doing with this trade. This guy could be a younger version of Vesa Toskala.

He knows alot more than some random poster on a message board.

lLeafer

Feb 27, 2012
I think some people only bring up Reimer's glove hand and rebound control because it was mentioned a lot of times by Hughson, Simpson, and Healy during the Leafs/Bruins series. So they might have planted a seed of doubt in other people's minds because they like to bring it up everytime Reimer let out a rebound.

I have watched pretty much every leaf game, every year, for many years. I don't know what you're watching but I seem to recall Reimer only getting a chance because the Leaf goalie situation was the joke of the league.. he's played ok, but he's not a even close to a proven #1 goalie.. and he appears to made of glass. Bernier has way more potential. It blows my mind that this is even a debate.

bluewhiteblue

Mar 11, 2012
I like the trade. Reimer has been solid but has yet to play a full season. While he was a big reason why we made it to the playoffs this year, it was, for the most part, due to the shortened season. It's easier to replace a skill-set like Frattin through FA (not convinced that D'Amigo brings the same skill-set) than it is to find a potential franchaise goaltender.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I don't know how to feel about this, I'm so torn.

Frattin was an awesome guy and I was really excited to have him, I still think he can be a solid 20 goal scorer and I'm really gonna miss him. I have a lot of respect for how he learned from his life mistakes, paid his way back to college, finished off his degree and THEN joined the Marlies/Leafs, rather than taking the easy way out and just going straight to the AHL when he had the chance. He's a solid player and he plays hard, he's going to be a great playoff performer for L.A. I bet.

Another thing about this that kind of bugs me is that for the Leafs to win this trade, Bernier is going to have to really well, or at least outperform the assets that were given up. In all likelihood for that to happen, he will have to unseat Reimer.

The last thing I want is for either goalie to have their career ruined. I hope we can do a St.Louis Blues style platoon, but the reality is, even with platoons, teams always choose one guy in the playoffs.

If Bernier does end up being our #1, I hope Reimer goes on to have a good career with another team, because he's an outstanding guy and a great person, he deserves that much.

I hope the fans don't forget Reimer all of a sudden when Bernier starts playing, fans in this city have short memories....Reimer has worked his ass off to get where he is and has done it through the injuries, media scrutiny, Luongo rumours, Bernier rumours, Kipper rumours, etc.

There are literally thousands of trades that don't have a "winner". ACTUAL GMs make trades so that both teams win. This is even better considering they're in different conferences.

This is far from trading, say, an elite prospect or a core piece. Its a backup, a 2/3 liner and a pick for a potential starting goaltender.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Nobody makes trades to win those trades.

GM's make trades to win the Cup.

LA overpaid for Richards. Do you think they care about how Schenn, Simmonds are doing right now?

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Nonis has just acquired Jonathan Bernier who is a proven winner and successful at every level he has played.. NHL, AHL, CHL, and internationally with Team Canada at Spengler and WJC etc.

Resume:
What NHL level success has he actually had? Even Healey "won" a stanley cup on the bench :laugh: Not saying Bernier sucks but come on

Drmckool

Truculence!
Jun 16, 2010
From the T.O
Perhaps these are the ramblings of a mad man, but I only see this trade really making sense if Reimer is on the block. There's really no point creating a goal-tending controversy and moving those parts (though not a very steep price) unless Nonis has enough faith in his ability to move Reimer, and a very strong opinion of Bernier.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Once, the Boston Bruins traded for an unproven goalie in Rask, that seems to have turned out ok

Maybe, just maybe this one works out for us? It's certainly overdue:)

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
time will tell,

but tsn and leafland will make this young goalie a vezina man in a week,

tons of pressure on the kid, but there is promise

MapleLeafGardens*

I liked both Ben Scrivens & Matt Frattin alot!!!!!

Scrivens could turn out to be just as good as Bernier...in which case the newest Leafs GM will have just given away Matty Frattin + a 2nd round pick for nothing! I don't like this trade one bit once again we have a Leafs GM trading away young prospects and gambling big on potential in return and over the years we all know how these kinds of deals have worked out for the Leafs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs now have a better tandem, both with potential to be solid starters.

Bernier is not a proven starter.

Little Bernier has played a total of 62 games over 4 NHL seasons.

Both teams take some risk in this deal.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Bernier is one inch smaller, and 3lbs lighter than Lundqvist.

I'm a little worried about him being a smaller goaltender, but not enough to write him off as another Toskala.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Goaltending was one of the strong points for the Leafs this season. Reimer was the main reason they even qualified for the playoffs.

I disagree. So does Dave Nonis.

You can pretend that Reimer was a "strong point" for the Leafs, but if you're a fan of the team, you should be happy that your GM knows better, because the Leafs are unquestionably a much better team today then they were yesterday.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I know you guys are mixed, but most LA fans know what we gave up, and I am pretty sure your management knows what you just added. There's no doubt in our minds that you just added a #1 goaltender to your roster.

Bernier is one of the most technically sound goaltenders in the league. It is an extremely rare occurrence to see him out of position, unlike Quick. He doesn't rely on speed, athleticism, or reflexes as much as he does on his high hockey IQ and positioning. He thinks the game really well and just always knows where to be. That's not to say that he can't make the dramatic athletic save when he has to either. He is extremely good and smart at playing the puck (lightyears ahead of Quick), and he plays with swagger and attitude, but never loses his cool and ALWAYS looks absolutely calm in net. He makes everything seem easy because he shows no emotion. His biggest weakness is shootouts, because it makes him second guess those technical aspects of his game versus someone like Quick who plays on raw reflexes. However, he is decent at breakaways.

You guys don't know it yet, but your goaltending search is over.

"I was very happy -- Dean is a man of his word," Bernier told ESPN.com. "I felt he would keep it, and he did. All the teams in the mix were great teams, but I have to tell you I'm so happy that it's Toronto."

"Obviously I'm very excited," Bernier told ESPN.com. "Going to Toronto I think is a great challenge. It's great. They've got a really good young team, and hopefully I can fit in and have some success with them."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/...-traded-los-angeles-kings-toronto-maple-leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad