Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd in 14 or 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Not Matt Frattin, noooooooooooooooooooooo. Come on people get a hold of yourselves. At most this is a low risk/ VERY high reward trade. I loved Frattin here and was on "Team Frattin" when both him and Kadri were fighting for one spot but we have a bunch of guys in our system that are just like him. You know what we don't have in the minors? A great goaltending prospect. You've heard it from Kings fans and major hockey analysts that this is a great trade for Toronto but people *****ing about this trade are the types that are just too in love with our own prospects. He will do great in LA, their team is made for players like him. But I feel that Bernier will do great here and we will forget about this trade very quickly.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Good luck with that one given the fact Bernier has never been a proven legit #1 NHL goalie.

I don't care about potential Bernier hasn't proven he's a #1 NHL goalie period.

We wouldn't have made the playoffs without him after Quick's surgery...Nuff said.

I rather trust king fans who watched Bernier play than some fan who based his opinion on Bernier performance by stats.

Btw, kings fan are going to love Frattin. Good replacement for Penner.

Last edited:

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Actually no, they don't play nearly as defensive a system as you'd think. Sure, they button it down in the playoffs but, they were top 10 in GF as well as being top 10 in GA, the Leafs on the other hand even with Reimers 924 sv% everyone clamours for were 18 in GA, which is on the wrong side of the top 15/16 (playoff spots) This years leafs team was carried by quick strike offence and a defensive system that allowed the goalie the greatest chance to succeed at stopping pucks.

L.A's system is a lot more defensive then you seem to think, they don't allow many shots because they defend it well, since they don't allow many shots it makes the goalies job a whole lot easier, it's also why they have such good G/A #'s. But you can keep telling yourself that we have a superior defensive system then L.A all you want, whatever helps you sleep at night.

MapleLeafGardens*

Though I'm not completely sold on this trade, I don't think "...blown his brain out..." is an appropriate appraisal of the trade. To qualify as that I would say Rielly, Gardiner, or Kadri would have had to have been on the move, if not Reimer instead of Scrivens.

Loved Matty Frattin with his speed on a better Kings team when he hits his prime 20-30 goals is not out of the question for Frattin.

The point can not be argued that if Scrivens turns out to be just as good as an unproven Bernier Nonis just gave away Frattin and a valuable 2nd round pick for nothing.

MLSE has Nonis on the hotseat after firing his boyfriend Burkey. 1st big trade Nonis makes he blows his brains out. Kings win this trade. This is a team that just won a Stanley Cup i highly doubt the Kings are dumb enough to trade Bernier for the Leafs package if they really felt Bernier could be a legit #1 NHL goalie Bernier would have garned a higher return from other NHL teams which they didn't get.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I disagree. So does Dave Nonis.

You can pretend that Reimer was a "strong point" for the Leafs, but if you're a fan of the team, you should be happy that your GM knows better, because the Leafs are unquestionably a much better team today then they were yesterday.

lol pretend? What on earth? Reimer bailed this team out on numerous occasions this past season. In fact, he probably should have just received those votes that Carlyle got for Jack Adams. Ridiculous.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I'm going to assume you weren't watching game 7 because there's no way that loss is pinned on any one player, let alone James Reimer. The entire team collapsed.

Look at the replays on 3rd, 4th. His glove hand and rebound control caused all those goals. Yes the defense could've done a better job but Reimer should have stopped all of them.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Loved Matty Frattin with his speed on a better Kings team when he hits his prime 20-30 goals is not out of the question for Frattin.

The point can not be argued that if Scrivens turns out to be just as good as an unproven Bernier Nonis just gave away Frattin and a valuable 2nd round pick for nothing.

MLSE has Nonis on the hotseat after firing his boyfriend Burkey. 1st big trade Nonis makes he blows his brains out. Kings win this trade. This is a team that just won a Stanley Cup i highly doubt the Kings trade Bernier for the Leafs package if they really felt Bernier could be a legit #1 NHL goalie Bernier would have garned a higher return from other NHL teams which they didn't get.

No team would ever pay Bernier a #1 value without proof. With Quick around he'll never have a chance to prove it.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Quite a bit to give up for a back-up who has yet to prove himself as a starter. Hope this deal does not backfire like several others we made for promising young goaltenders... Going to miss Frattin.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

MLSE has Nonis on the hotseat after firing his boyfriend Burkey. 1st big trade Nonis makes he blows his brains out. Kings win this trade. This is a team that just won a Stanley Cup i highly doubt the Kings trade Bernier for the Leafs package if they really felt Bernier could be a legit #1 NHL goalie Bernier would have garned a higher return from other NHL teams which they didn't get.

What? Bernier was getting traded within the week because they didn't want to hold him back anymore from being a starter somewhere else because they locked up one of the best goaltenders in the league to a long term deal :laugh: They traded him because they are looking out for the interest of the player knowing his potential and not just hoarding assets for the sake of hoarding assets.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
i'm sad that Frattin will not be a leaf next season. i think he's a really good player. i wish we could have done this deal without losing Frattin... but i guess it's hard to be too upset with this trade. despite how much i like Frattin, I still think we probably got the better end of this trade since a good goalie is way more important than a second or third line winger. i liked scrivins too, but bernier is probably going to be a significant upgrade.

but now we have even more holes that need filling... we need to sign two more wingers, one or two more centres, and probably a defensemen to play on the right side.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
L.A's system is a lot more defensive then you seem to think, they don't allow many shots because they defend it well, since they don't allow many shots it makes the goalies job a whole lot easier, it's also why they have such good G/A #'s. But you can keep telling yourself that we have a superior defensive system then L.A all you want, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Sutter hockey.

Maybe people don't understand what Sutter hockey is.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Wow this board is so frustrating sometimes.. who in their right mind really thinks we could have traded a back up goalie (who I doubt would have even seen the light of day in the NHL if not for Toronto's goalie problems) and a third liner who can hardly even stay on the big club (and wasn't good after he came back from injury) for a #1 centre?? Give your head a shake!

And all of a sudden Reimer is the #1 goalie we've been waiting for? He's injury prone, inconsistent and every player in the nhl knows he can't save a puck high glove (0-5 in shootouts). When the Leafs are planning on him being #1 he's unproven and everyone complains.. now that we have a potential superstar goalie Reimer is a God on skates and we didn't need the upgrade. ok...

So you wouldn't want Crawford? And how are shoot-outs any indication of his play? Maybe you should look to see that Bozak was the only player scoring in SO's for us, kinda hard to win a SO if you're team won't score goals to help you out, make sense? And it's the other way around, what has Bernier proven to be so superior to Reimer?

Banjax

Mar 4, 2011
RT @Jgardiner272: @Matt_Frattin @scrivens_30 Good luck in LA fellas. You will be missed. #leafsnation

EDIT: Nvm didnt read that properly lol one of the main reasons why i never use twitter

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
lol pretend? What on earth? Reimer bailed this team out on numerous occasions this past season. In fact, he probably should have just received those votes that Carlyle got for Jack Adams. Ridiculous.

Reimer stats were inflated because of the number of shot that was going against him and most of them were low percentage % and perimeter shots. Plus, how on every rebound he would make our defense would clear the puck away so he definitely had luck on his side.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Crawford mentioned all the shots glove hand and so did everyone else. What are the Hawks thinking?

Bernier to the Hawks for ... :sarcasm:

Hawks actually were talking to Kings last summer about Bernier but nothing could be done + Quick needing surgery made Kings hold onto him

Interesting how things worked out

Hawks were ready to give up on Crawford after a terrible postseason performance and now he is one win away from cup (+ Jennings winner)

Honestly think Leafs are giving up on Reimer too early. Thought your 1-2 tandem was fine this past year

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Look at the replays on 3rd, 4th. His glove hand and rebound control caused all those goals. Yes the defense could've done a better job but Reimer should have stopped all of them.
You should rewatch the goals. Reimer was screened on every shot but 1 I believe. The D just let the Bruins park in front of him with no effort to do anything about it

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

Or maybe just maybe this team can cut down on giving up so many free shots from 30ft out? This team gave up shots and goals from 30ft out way way above league average. Of course all those uncovered point shots eventually killed them against the Bruins.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Hawks actually were talking to Kings last summer about Bernier but nothing could be done + Quick needing surgery made Kings hold onto him

Hawks were ready to give up on Crawford after a terrible postseason performance and now he is one win away from cup (+ Jennings winner)

Honestly think Leafs are giving up on Reimer too early. Thought your 1-2 tandem was fine this past year

There was really no "2" lol

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

Honestly think Leafs are giving up on Reimer too early.
Thought your 1-2 tandem was fine this past year

It doesn't make sense. Reimer was fantastic this year.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS

As did some of us.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Yeah, he was supposed to stop the puck. That's pretty much all he's there to do.

It's also the team's responsibility to help in that area, like not standing around watching the puck and clearing the front of the net so the goalie can see. How in the hell can you be expected to stop something that you can't see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad