News Article: Leaf fans come 3rd in Survey

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Complaining ? I was asking because it makes no sense as no other sport does this.

That’s all…it’s a legit question and the only answer I get is

“it’s the way it is”

We have no idea how the playoffs would look if the rules were consistent throughout the season and playoffs.

Also the rinks will never get bigger not because it will ruin the game …in fact IMHO it would be great to see a 7 game series in a bigger ice.

The reason is money and the seats lost.

It’s not hard to enforce rules the same all year long
I think we will just have to agree to disagree. No biggie.

Reactions: Da Mash

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
For the past 5 yrs they’ve played predictable ( imo, boring) hockey.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Seems the fix must be in on this one. Does anyone believe Leaf fans shouldn't come first?

EDIT:

DON'T turn this into a DUBAS Discussion.
This started long before DUBAS was involved.
Kind of surprised it isn't Buffalo fans. Sabres have had a real rough go at it for quite awhile

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
A real fan is one loyal to a franchise that has not rewarded his loyalty in decades.

A single series win in twenty years. Not even a cup finals appearance in my lifetime. They're lucky they even have ANY fans.

Let lone so many dedicated ones who refuse to criticize this team no matter what crap they throw on the ice.

I deal with them every day so know better than most. The complacency in this fan base is mindnumbing. This survey just proves that much all over again.

They should have come in first.

Well I'm done supporting this level of incompetence. Mock me all you want. But be aware my own decades of devotion to this team has led me to this deep dark depressed state.

At some point the fans have to put their collective foot down and demand they initiate change.

LOL BYE don’t let the door hit you on the way out haha.

Even Kyle has realized the biggest mistake a lot of us said, in an upcoming book. He now realizes the Tavares signing screwed everything up and had an unstoppable cascading affect on everything else. And then mistake after mistake was made trying to slow the snowball down. A snowball that couldn't be stopped.

Is Kyle releasing a book?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It's so weird that we're not allowed to talk about the reason why this team is a mess. :laugh: Hey guys just talk about the mess but don't ask too many questions. They tried to reinvent the sport and thought they were smarter than the game. In some ways it's cathartic to see selfish arrogant ego maniacs get destroyed like this, but why did it happen in Toronto of all places? Because we're not allowed to talk about it.

MLSE allowed Shanahan to do this. Shanahan said last year that he had all intentions to extend Kyle Dubas and that Kyle Dubas did "an excellent job." Shanahan still has his job but his role in the organization will be eliminated after his contract expires in a year. He should be fired. Just like Dubas should've been fired. Why they get to "walk away" with their heads held up high after disrespecting Leaf fans is beyond me.

MLSE is too greedy to fire him. What's another year? It's not like Leaf fans are going anywhere. Why win? It's not like Leaf fans are going anywhere.
How is MLS&E greedy?

Consistently one of the highest payrolls in the league

They provide the best, medical and training facilities and people in the league.

They have the most people and highest paid managers in the league.

A team that spares no expense, plus is willing to make the leagues 6th best player the highest paid in the league without blinking is not greedy.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
How is MLS&E greedy?

They provide the best, medical and training facilities and people in the league.

A team that spares no expense, plus is willing to make the leagues 6th best player the highest paid in the league without blinking is not greedy.
There is a big difference between profit motivated and greedy. When you are a public corporation with shareholders to appease your primary purpose is always profit, not winning. Winning a lot is profitable. Clawing for that final step to become a champion has a risk factor attached that may be at odds with a steady profit stream. Perhaps not a huge risk but its fair to say that acceptable risk for solid ROI is not the same as if the sole goal is a championship. The worst I might say is corporations can maybe get complacent where winning consistently to generate a big return is enough.

There is no owner's ego at MLSE to push bold decisions (good or bad) but that describes over half the league right?

Reactions: LeafEgo

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
A real fan is one loyal to a franchise that has not rewarded his loyalty in decades.

A single series win in twenty years. Not even a cup finals appearance in my lifetime. They're lucky they even have ANY fans.

Let lone so many dedicated ones who refuse to criticize this team no matter what crap they throw on the ice.

I deal with them every day so know better than most. The complacency in this fan base is mindnumbing. This survey just proves that much all over again.

They should have come in first.

Well I'm done supporting this level of incompetence. Mock me all you want. But be aware my own decades of devotion to this team has led me to this deep dark depressed state.

At some point the fans have to put their collective foot down and demand they initiate change.
We have a good team, we have some great players, would love to have stability. Much Like Landry coaching the cowboys for 25 years, Lou being the GM of New Jersey for 20 plus years. Players like Bergeron, Doane, Sedins, putting in 15 years with the same club.

It is strange that most of the time when personnel get moved they aren’t considered worthless and another team is more than happy to take them.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There is a big difference between profit motivated and greedy. When you are a public corporation with shareholders to appease your primary purpose is always profit, not winning. Winning a lot is profitable. Clawing for that final step to become a champion has a risk factor attached that may be at odds with a steady profit stream. Perhaps not a huge risk but its fair to say that acceptable risk for solid ROI is not the same as if the sole goal is a championship. The worst I might say is corporations can maybe get complacent where winning consistently to generate a big return is enough.

There is no owner's ego at MLSE to push bold decisions (good or bad) but that describes over half the league right?
Is MLSE a public company?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Is MLSE a public company?
Hah I guess not, but Rogers and Bell are so... Since you twigged on that, what would be the functional difference in terms of what the shareholders in those parent organizations expect? Not a dig, my own knowledge is only investment firm deep?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

They could run a team that gets 1 round of playoff gate revenue + sells jerseys without spending 50mil every July 1st on bonuses and running the most bloated front office in the league. If they were purely profit motivated that would be a step up from what we have now, it’s an inefficient beaurocracy that’s constantly stuck in analysis paralysis. The scary part is they’re actually trying to win but their structure prevents them from doing so. A profit motivated ownership would look like Vegas where they’re constantly flipping big pieces and reeling in money on jersey sales and controversial commentary.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
How is MLS&E greedy?

They don't fire decision makers that fail at their job like Dubas, Shanahan, etc. Because they don't want to pay them to not work. This has directly hurt the team on ice.

There is no way to know how much they spend off-ice. However, the one area where we do know what they spend has a salary cap on it. Are they against it? Of course not, they are aligned with the rest of the owners.

Every team doesn't have jersey ads and helmet ads, Leafs were quick on it. Bieber jersey. Who asked? The tiktokers in the other thread that are arguing that Matthews is better than McDavid.

"is willing to make the leagues 6th best player the highest paid in the league" True, they are idiots but this doesn't change anything about their total payroll for players. They have committed to spending to the salary cap that they support because even the tiktokers in the other thread that are arguing that Matthews is better than McDavid would be upset if they didn't.

MLSE has prioritized the next generation of season ticket holders (the tiktokers in the other thread that are arguing that Matthews is better than McDavid) over trying to win the Stanley Cup. Cutting their nose to spit their face like the greedy ghouls they are.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Makes sense.

Under normal circumstances, Leafs would be #1. But you got a team moving so of course their fans are pissed, and Flames fans are too since the team is trending down big lately, Huberdeau has been a trainwreck with a terrible contract, and Tkachuk won the cup on Florida.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
They don't fire decision makers that fail at their job like Dubas, Shanahan, etc. Because they don't want to pay them to not work. This has directly hurt the team on ice.

There is no way to know how much they spend off-ice. However, the one area where we do know what they spend has a salary cap on it. Are they against it? Of course not, they are aligned with the rest of the owners.

Every team doesn't have jersey ads and helmet ads, Leafs were quick on it. Bieber jersey. Who asked? The tiktokers in the other thread that are arguing that Matthews is better than McDavid.

"is willing to make the leagues 6th best player the highest paid in the league" True, they are idiots but this doesn't change anything about their total payroll for players. They have committed to spending to the salary cap that they support because even the tiktokers in the other thread that are arguing that Matthews is better than McDavid would be upset if they didn't.

MLSE has prioritized the next generation of season ticket holders (the tiktokers in the other thread that are arguing that Matthews is better than McDavid) over trying to win the Stanley Cup. Cutting their nose to spit their face like the greedy ghouls they are.
Leafs have always been greedy. They been charging regular price for exhibition games for at least 20 years. No doubt more. I remember going to exhibition games in the 2000s and the ticket prices were the same as a reg season game.

The team has always been money focused whether it's Ballard not wanting to pay Steve Thomas a raise, or MLSE in charge.

MLSE also started doing season ticket holder personal seat licensing fees first before any other NHL team about 25 years ago.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hah I guess not, but Rogers and Bell are so... Since you twigged on that, what would be the functional difference in terms of what the shareholders in those parent organizations expect? Not a dig, my own knowledge is only investment firm deep?
I really have no idea how the whole set up works.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
The first round losses are almost unbelievably miserable. You would have a hard time writing a script that would be more of a letdown for fans that the resent results for the Leafs.

But Arizona lost their team. That's worse. They should be #1, without question.

And Toronto fans at least got to watch a playoff team in recent years. I've enjoyed these results more than the dark Burke/Nonis years. And there's undeniably enough talent to think that a Cup run is a possibility. So being 3rd, if anything, is a bit high.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
The first round losses are almost unbelievably miserable. You would have a hard time writing a script that would be more of a letdown for fans that the resent results for the Leafs.

But Arizona lost their team. That's worse. They should be #1, without question.

And Toronto fans at least got to watch a playoff team in recent years. I've enjoyed these results more than the dark Burke/Nonis years. And there's undeniably enough talent to think that a Cup run is a possibility. So being 3rd, if anything, is a bit high.
Leafs should be thankful they even beat TB. TB outplayed the Leafs, but the team got lucky as Vasi was off, TB had some dman injuries, and Leafs had 3 OT wins where each GWG was a long range floater or lucky bounce.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Leafs losing to Columbus years back must had been 40% alone.

A team whose best players were F Dubois, D Werenski and G Korpisalo.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

So not greedy then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad