Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
That looks to be a smart trade at first look.

I don't think he gets matched. He doesn't want to be here. I think another trade is in the works for a RHD.
Hell with it. He looked like s*** the whole time he was with us until the playoffs. You gave us a handful of games where you looked like an NHLer. Get lost ..

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Wondering if the Oilers might Match Broberg and let Holloway walk. Play Broberg for the year and see if he can play up to 'potential' - if so you keep, if not you buyout with 785K cap hit for 25-26, 26-27. Not an elegant solution, but if they truly believe in Broberg then it is one that they can take. I'm assuming there's no rules regarding buying out an OS matched player.

This also does not include how they would get under cap when Kane comes back from IR.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Hell with it. He looked like s*** the whole time he was with us until the playoffs. You gave us a handful of games where you looked like an NHLer. Get lost ..

What?? You mean Broberg? I'm not Broberg...

iu

Wondering if the Oilers might Match Broberg and let Holloway walk. Play Broberg for the year and see if he can play up to 'potential' - if so you keep, if not you buyout with 785K cap hit for 25-26, 26-27. Not an elegant solution, but if they truly believe in Broberg then it is one that they can take. I'm assuming there's no rules regarding buying out an OS matched player.

This also does not include how they would get under cap when Kane comes back from IR.
I'ma going to keep saying it. Broberg in no way wants to be here. I'm waiting for Stan to drop the other shoe.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
I'ma going to keep saying it. Broberg in no way wants to be here. I'm waiting for Stan to drop the other shoe.
I'm not a huge Broberg fan, but it is evident that Oilers management had high opinions of the player, whether they were/are warranted is another topic. That at least was true of Holland, no idea of what Bowman or JJ think here.

Reactions: McBooya42

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Hope they give some young guys a chance for the bottom 2 lines, as a 4th line of Podkolzin-Ryan-Perry is vomit worthy.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
He is with an agent that has him as his only NHL client according to Stauffer. I wonder if he will regret getting bad advice if he ends up in the Blues bottom 6 vs the Oilers.

He should have thought of that before he he tried to bend us over a barrel for a quick buck.

He can have fun in the same spot in the pecking order behind guys who are younger with longer contracts in a worse organization.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Is this shaping up that the oilers keep Broberg and let hollloway walk? This is the opposite of what St. Louis wanted, Broberg is so far from a 4.6 million player but this would be quite the fu to St. Louis, Broberg and Holloway

Reactions: Oilhawks

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
When is the deadline for the signing? This is dragging out ffs.

Wonder if its effecting the Draisaitl extension as well .....

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Is this shaping up that the oilers keep Broberg and let hollloway walk? This is the opposite of what St. Louis wanted, Broberg is so far from a 4.6 million player but this would be quite the fu to St. Louis, Broberg and Holloway
Teams pay for ptotential these days and Broberg does have top 4 potential.
He was decent enough in the playoffs this past season but IMO he wont be a legit top 4 to start the season.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Here's a tidbit for you: Since 21-22, Bouchard features in 5 of the 6 top pairings in xGF% playing together more than 100 min at 5v5. His partners include Nurse, Ekholm, Broberg (haha), Kulak, and Niemelainen(!). Lowering to 50 min TOI, Bouchard is featured in 7 of the top 15.

Bouchard's ability to positively tilt the ice shows even when he's not paired with Ekholm, although there is no denying that Ek-Bouchard is the best pairing this team has had for many years.
I like Bouchard alot and considered some of his own zone play work pretty normal developmental challenges. This board certainly has a strong, vocal group critical of his defensive play. Can't overlook the player had criticism for slow read and react in his play. Not a surprise either that his zone starts were managed to mitigate some of the defending challenges along with play with veteran partners Nurse and Ekholm. His season Even Strength zone starts for full season play starting from last year and working back were 61 OZ 39 DZ; 53.5 OZ 46.4 DZ; 55 OZ 45 DZ. His career average is 57.4% OZ 42.6% DZ.

He's an offensive defenseman who has been learning and growing his defending abilities. His deployment reflects that with heavy tilt to offensive zone starts. And given his pedigree offensive skills and the last season and a half with this team's lethal ice tilting top line (among league highest in actual production results and I suspect Expected) shouldn't be a surprise that he shows well in expected offensive stats. Now the third pairing sample with Broberg in realistic minutes and deployment showed both young defenders could keep their heads above water.

Bouchard actually shows what smart development and a leap of faith upgrade in responsibilities and deployment over a solid, established veteran Barrie can unlock. It's not unreasonable to wonder if Broberg is similarly ready for a jump over a older veteran...

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Teams pay for ptotential these days and Broberg does have top 4 potential.
He was decent enough in the playoffs this past season but IMO he wont be a legit top 4 to start the season.
I wonder if maybe we could just have a D where the minutes are fairly evenly spread, with a bit of a blender in the bottom 4 so who is 2nd pairing isn't clear.

Of course Ekholm-Bouchard likely stays a pairing and is the #1

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
Reading speculation Edmonton might tell the Blues they are gonna match on Broberg unless they traded a first for a mid prospect.

That would be genius from Bowman.
Where are you seeing this? If true could be an interesting loophole to recoup far greater compensation.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I wonder if maybe we could just have a D where the minutes are fairly evenly spread, with a bit of a blender in the bottom 4 so who is 2nd pairing isn't clear.

Of course Ekholm-Bouchard likely stays a pairing and is the #1
Its a fair question IMO.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
He is with an agent that has him as his only NHL client according to Stauffer. I wonder if he will regret getting bad advice if he ends up in the Blues bottom 6 vs the Oilers.

By all reports he didn’t really want to leave, but at the end of the day the money was too good to pass up. Maybe tin foil hat thinking, but maybe his agent told him that the Blues really want Broberg, and are hoping that by offer sheeting both of them that Edm would match Holloway, and Dylan would get his money and also get to stay in Edmonton. If so, looks like that just blew up in their faces.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I really liked Holloway. He and his inexperienced agent got hoodwinked into riding as a poison pill shotgun on the Broberg offer sheet. There's probably more future top six opportunity in Edmonton with the age and short contracts of Skinner & Ekholm's pal. The Blues have a spot short-term but a solid prospect pool that weights heavily on pedigree forwards. My guess is Holloway is a Flame within three years.

Podkolzin gives the Oilers speed and physical game in a player whose likely future is a middle/bottom six winger. I don't see offensive production upside as good as Holloway though. But a 3rd or 4th winger option with a dollar amount that can be buried (if he cleared waivers).

Reasonable lemonade 1 out of offer sheet lemons.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
I really liked Holloway. He and his inexperienced agent got hoodwinked into riding as a poison pill shotgun on the Broberg offer sheet. There's probably more future top six opportunity in Edmonton with the age and short contracts of Skinner & Ekholm's pal. The Blues have a spot short-term but a solid prospect pool that weights heavily on pedigree forwards. My guess is Holloway is a Flame within three years.

Podkolzin gives the Oilers speed and physical game in a player whose likely future is a middle/bottom six winger. I don't see offensive production upside as good as Holloway though. But a 3rd or 4th winger option with a dollar amount that can be buried (if he cleared waivers).

Reasonable lemonade 1 out of offer sheet lemons.
Agent got played by Ferris.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad