Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah, can't blame the guy for taking a huge raise like that. Holloway though...something irks me a bit with what he accepted from St. Louis compared to a likely contract with the Oilers.
Holloway signed the offer sheet and knew the risk. But an inexperienced agent with no NHL clients was quite possibly out of his depth in terms of gaging risk involved.

Not too much a leap to think the pitch to Holloway's camp was along the lines of hey kid how's you like to double your salary. Ride with us, the three times value offer sheet to Broberg will be too much to match two guys and the Oilers won't want to lose face or two young guys so they'll match on you.

Looks like the Oil likely prioritized young d over young middle roster winger with the Polkozin trade. But we wait and see. A similar pedigree forward for less than the offer sheet return is great. Not confident Polkozin hits with his draft projections as an offensive player. But if they get an inexpensive peak years middle roster speed and heavy game winger it's a reasonable fallback.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I mean it was gonna happen unless Holland resigned. So this wasn't technically his fault.
Oh alright thanks I don’t know too much of the history of this exact situation but when he was our GM he did forget to qualify a few players in time which ended up biting us in the back.

Reactions: McHelpus

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Ceci is gone

Looks like we will be matching Broberg...
iu

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
So how much cap space do we have now ?

Really looks like the option will be to match Broberg and let Holloway walk

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Reading speculation Edmonton might tell the Blues they are gonna match on Broberg unless they traded a first for a mid prospect.

That would be genius from Bowman.
“Genius” for something that has no chance of happening.

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016
Didn’t have Ceci traded on my bingo card tonight.

For Nurse to get better, Ceci had to go. But got to give Bowman credit for not attaching our first and/or second with Ceci on this trade.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I am assuming we will match Broberg and let Holloway go after the Podkolzin/Ceci trades.

Sucks to see Holloway go but I think it was a really dumb decision to sign the offer sheet if he liked playing in Edmonton. Will be interesting to see how his career goes.

Guess we will see on Broberg. Obviously the Oilers value him moving going forward as part of the future. I think Jackson looks pretty foolish here though. He should of been proactive if he thought high of him. Hopefully it works out going forward. I have no idea what to expect from Broberg at this point though. I think we are also setting him upto fail because no one seems to have good numbers with Nurse.

I also hope that this contract doesn’t come back to bite us on other contracts but particularly Bouchards deal. I doubt he’s going to take a cut seeing Broberg is being paid more than him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I knew another shoe would drop.

I don't think Stan's done. Kulak has to be moved out so Broberg can play on his strong side.

ya with what money & what picks do the Oil have to go after anyone?
We just made two trades (smart ones IMO), that open up space for Broberg to stay.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I am assuming we will match Broberg and let Holloway go after the Podkolzin/Ceci trades.

Sucks to see Holloway go but I think it was a really dumb decision to sign the offer sheet if he liked playing in Edmonton. Will be interesting to see how his career goes.

Guess we will see on Broberg. Obviously the Oilers value him moving going forward as part of the future. I think Jackson looks pretty foolish here though. He should of been proactive if he thought high of him. Hopefully it works out going forward. I have no idea what to expect from Broberg at this point. I think we are also setting him upto fail because no one seems to have good numbers with Nurse.

I also hope that this contract doesn’t come back to bite us on other contracts but particularly Bouchards deal. I doubt he’s going to take a cut seeing Broberg is being paid more than him.
Been proactive and signed him to a massively inflated deal so he didnt sign an offersheet?

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Guess we will see on Broberg. Obviously the Oilers value him moving going forward as part of the future. I think Jackson looks pretty foolish here though. He should of been proactive if he thought high of him. Hopefully it works out going forward. I have no idea what to expect from Broberg at this point. I think we are also setting him upto fail because no one seems to have good numbers with Nurse.

He won't be playing with Nurse IMO. I'm expecting Kulak to be traded.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

I don't blame Jackson or Holland. Brobergs camp from what I read didn't want to sign anything and waited on purpose for this offer sheet. They heard it would come and they jumped on it when it came down. How could that be Jackson or Hollanda fault if that was Brobergs agent game plan? If they match, they must feel they can play him and feel he's worth the contract. But I really think this was him and his agent doing this and not the Oilers management due diligence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad