Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Looks like we will be doing the opposite of what I figured.

I think we will quickly regret matching the Broberg deal. That contract is an albatross. He isn’t ready to be that guy on THIS team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He won't be playing with Nurse IMO. I'm expecting Kulak to be traded.

Kulak can play on the right side.

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Kulak
Broberg Stetcher/Emberton
Brown

?

Looks like we will be doing the opposite of what I figured.

I think we will quickly regret matching the Broberg deal. That contract is an albatross. He isn’t ready to be that guy on THIS team.

If it's not a perfect fit, I suspect he'll be traded next summer, still will be probably a few teams willing to take a flyer on a young D with Finals experience like he has.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I am assuming we will match Broberg and let Holloway go after the Podkolzin/Ceci trades.

Sucks to see Holloway go but I think it was a really dumb decision to sign the offer sheet if he liked playing in Edmonton. Will be interesting to see how his career goes.

Guess we will see on Broberg. Obviously the Oilers value him moving going forward as part of the future. I think Jackson looks pretty foolish here though. He should of been proactive if he thought high of him. Hopefully it works out going forward. I have no idea what to expect from Broberg at this point though. I think we are also setting him upto fail because no one seems to have good numbers with Nurse.

I also hope that this contract doesn’t come back to bite us on other contracts but particularly Bouchards deal. I doubt he’s going to take a cut seeing Broberg is being paid more than him.

Yup, however this works out, Jackson comes off looking pretty f***ing stupid. At $1.8, you sign Broberg all day to that contract, and twice on Sunday. Tried getting greedy and it bit him in the ass.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Oh alright thanks I don’t know too much of the history of this exact situation but when he was our GM he did forget to qualify a few players in time which ended up biting us in the back.
Oh don't worry Bowman has alot of time. I have no idea how long he signed here.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If the Oilers don’t match the Holloway offer sheet then it might cost him millions in the long run. He’d potentially be playing in the top 6 as early as next year with McDrai inflating his point totals. Skinner won’t be back next year, possibly Kane and Arvidsson gone the year after that. Hyman could start declining in a few seasons as well. Our top 6 winger options will be wide open in 2 seasons.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Been proactive and signed him to a massively inflated deal so he didnt sign an offersheet?

No I mean, I think if Jackson thought this highly of Broberg, he should of wheeled out the wine and cheese cart and got a deal done before the offer sheet. Because he probably could’ve got it done cheaper than 4.6.

But who knows, maybe he tried. I got impression he was only lowballing him though.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Kulak can play on the right side.

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Kulak
Broberg Stetcher/Emberton
Brown

?

If it's not a perfect fit, I suspect he'll be traded next summer, still will be probably a few teams willing to take a flyer on a young D with Finals experience like he has.
Kulak needs to go for us to be compliant when Kane is back.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
If the Oilers don’t match the Holloway offer sheet then it might cost him millions in the long run. He’d potentially be playing in the top 6 as early as next year with McDrai inflating his point totals. Skinner won’t be back next year, possibly Kane and Arvidsson gone the year after that. Hyman could start declining in a few seasons as well. Our top 6 winger options will be wide open in 2 seasons.
yea it's an interesting decision from their end. I bet him and his agent thought the Oilers would just match it, maybe they were unaware that Broberg was getting an OS simultaneously as well which complicated things

Going from playing with Draisaitl to Radek Faska is... yeesh

but I dont think Holloway would have got much top-6 ice time this year with the Skinner / Arvidsson deals unless Arvidsson gets hurt again

Reactions: Oilhawks and nabob

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
At the end of the day I believe our team is worse today than it was yesterday.
Broberg has MASSIVE pressure on his shoulders right now to be a big step up from Ceci. If he isn’t the team will suffer and the fanbase is going to hate him.

I really hope I’m super wrong about him because if I’m not, this defence has taken a big step back this off season.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Broberg has MASSIVE pressure on his shoulders right now to be a big step up from Ceci. If he isn’t the team will suffer and the fanbase is going to hate him.

I really hope I’m super wrong about him because if I’m not, this defence has taken a big step back this off season.
Any reasonable person would blame the ones who let it get to this point. Broberg has pressure to perform but everyone does.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

I seriously think they have no interest in playing him as a RHD. Kulak has to go now too. Stan's not done.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

He has pressure to be better than Ceci, but not like a superstar or anything. He's paid about a million more than Ceci was slated to be, not like $3-4 million more.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yup, however this works out, Jackson comes off looking pretty f***ing stupid. At $1.8, you sign Broberg all day to that contract, and twice on Sunday. Tried getting greedy and it bit him in the ass.
The 4.6 has some potential to be good if Broberg plays well enough that he's worth more than 4.6 this year. The 1.8 was 1 year if i gather correctly. So the 2nd year might be the one we are glad to have

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Any reasonable person would blame the ones who let it get to this point. Broberg has pressure to perform but everyone does.
Fair but a guy who took an inflated deal and the org is clearly banking on him, is going to have a ton of pressure.

A lot of money and hope resting on a kid who had maybe 6 good NHL games.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

Do you think Justin Schultz or Barrie is a massive step down from Ceci? I agree with you, I think replacing Ceci with Broberg is a monumental risk, and I'm shocked that it looks like they're doing it. But I guess their logic is that if Broberg pans out (which it looks like they think he will) and is a top pairing defencman, maybe that extends their window to win significantly.

Reactions: Old Boys Club

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Fair but a guy who took an inflated deal and the org is clearly banking on him, is going to have a ton of pressure.

A lot of money and hope resting on a kid who had maybe 6 good NHL games.
Well the lesson would be to sign your RFAs before it gets out of hand.

And he would've been stupid not to take the STL deal.

Now let's see if Bowman can offload Nurse.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I seriously think they have no interest in playing him as a RHD. Kulak has to go now too. Stan's not done.
I’m sorry but if there is no interest in that then this org is hilariously dumb for intentionally paying a guy 4.5 mill to be a limited minutes 3rd pair guy. There also isn’t a Ceci upgrade out there making Kulak money.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Worst case you trade Broby next off-season.

If he improves, he can be moved for more than a second.

Some combination of Stecher, Broberg, or Emberson (and maybe PTO Schultz or Barrie).

Lots of options.

Only loss is Ceci from last year.

It all depends on broberg.

Ek Bouch
Nurse Broberg
kulak stecher, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad