Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Yeah, Holloway is probably kicking himself right now for being convinced to sign.

Yup, every time I've watched him play he has quite the motor (even if not the fleetest of foot). About as close you can get to a "Holloway replacement" (different players, but some similarities) at the price point, pedigree and age being pretty much the same.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Reading speculation Edmonton might tell the Blues they are gonna match on Broberg unless they traded a first for a mid prospect.

That would be genius from Bowman.
Interesting but I wouldn’t call it genius though.
St Louis just says “ok, keep him” they save themselves from paying double for a player and we end up in an extra bit of cap hell paying a player that doesn’t want to be here double his worth

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
St Louis just says “ok, keep him” they save themselves from paying double for a player and we end up in an extra bit of cap hell paying a player that doesn’t want to be here double his worth

Yeah this is kind of how I see it.

Idk if the Blues would be willing to play ball there. But maybe I'm wrong.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I mean, at a certain point, he's asked for a trade multiple times and now signed an offer sheet.

He does clearly just not want to be here.
True. But signing the offer sheet was as much or more about getting wealthy fast as it was about anything else, I think.

Reactions: Oilhawks

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Broberg probably said bring me up to the show or trade me. If that was the problem, it's a non-issue going forward.

He was thrown into the fire and excelled in the playoffs. His potential and ability were clear when I watched him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Why keep Broberg if he already asked to be traded. Respectfully.
Because the reason behind his request matters. Friedman brought this up too. It's easy to look at Bouchard and think better of him because he never requested a trade, but the team bent over backwards for him and put him in the ultimate position to succeed, and we did this before he proved himself. Friedman pointed out that the issue with Broberg is his role. He doesn't feel that the Oilers really take him seriously. Matching this offer sheet would show that we are serious and sort of forces Knoblauch to give him the same kind of opportunity we gifted Bouchard. So we'd have two years to have Broberg get what he wants.

And to be clear, in that scenario both sides win. We are talking about exploring Broberg's potential instead of riding Ceci/Kulak above their pay grade yet again

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Imo the Blues think hes worth more than that. The Oilers probably do to. The only issue for the Oilers is if the cap makes it impossible

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Because St Louis have zero left side dmen.
There are other better value options available as has been discussed at nauseam in this very thread
Hell
There are some here who wholeheartedly agree that 500k and a 7th will fetch such pieces

Imo the Blues think hes worth more than that. The Oilers probably do to. The only issue for the Oilers is if the cap makes it impossible
He’s worth paying 4.5 M a year and giving up a first and a 3rd?
I dunno
Maybe

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Yeah, can't blame the guy for taking a huge raise like that. Holloway though...something irks me a bit with what he accepted from St. Louis compared to a likely contract with the Oilers.

Yup, I think he got played by his agent / Blues / played himself.

Not a lot more money and probably some long term regrets down the road.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
If we let Holloway go, match Broberg, and put Kane on LTIR, we are only over the cap by 835,073. Brown goes to the AHL and we're compliant, no? I'm not sure If I'm understanding this correctly.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
If we let Holloway go, match Broberg, and put Kane on LTIR, we are only over the cap by 835,073. Brown goes to the AHL and we're compliant, no? I'm not sure If I'm understanding this correctly.
So to be compliant with Kane returning, it'd have to be Kulak and Ceci out and what Barrie as 2nd pairing RHD with Nurse at 1millionx1?

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
One part I don’t understand is how much of Kanes salary would be left on the cap when he came back. Would we be less over the later he took to come back or would we be over his full salary regardless when he came back?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad