Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The numbers defensively for Nurse/Barrie was better than Nurse/Ceci.
A few years ago when Barrie’s game hasn’t taken a big step back and Nurse/Barrie got the gravy minutes with McDavid that they would not get again.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Is it? Holloway scored big goals in the playoffs and only getting better. Ardvidson has had multiple back issues and getting older. I hope he blows the doors off but to say Holloway should be on the bottom 6 is a dumb take too.
Why?
Holloway had 18 points in 89 games...how is that worthy of 2nd line minutes on a team as stacked up front as this one?

Reactions: McBooya42

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
A few years ago when Barrie’s game hasn’t taken a big step back and Nurse/Barrie got the gravy minutes with McDavid that they would not get again.
You are talking offensively.
Barrie and Nurse were this teams #1 pairing defenisvely as well.
Back then McDavids defence wasnt exaclty part of a winning formula...it was an after thought.

Not exactly a stellar #1 pairing by any means but they still held their own. Ceci and Nurse were a disaster.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
More than last year going to have to win games 6-5 but I think the forwards can do that.

I think that's overblown, considering too that Ceci was a defensive whipping boy here for so long.

Knoblaugh/Coffey are the D, not any one individual, we became a systems D team last year. They make it go, same as Florida is able to cycle lesser guys in/out of their blue line too, it's Maurice's system that makes it hum.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You are talking offensively.
Barrie and Nurse were this teams #1 pairing defenisvely as well.
Back then McDavids defence wasnt exaclty part of a winning formula...it was an after thought.

Not exactly a stellar #1 pairing by any means but they still held their own. Ceci and Nurse were a disaster.
Barrie was often a healthy scratch for Nashville.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Why?
Holloway had 18 points in 89 games...how is that worthy of 2nd line minutes on a team as stacked up front as this
With rookies you don't just look at the entire body of work. You look if they are turning up or down. He's massively trending up. Don't matter now as it looks like he's gone.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Barrie was often a healthy scratch for Nashville.
Thats just wrong.
Barrie played 41 games for nashville (averaged over 18 min TOI) and had an upper body injury that caused him to miss a lot of games.

With rookies you don't just look at the entire body of work. You look if they are turning up or down. He's massively trending up. Don't matter now as it looks like he's gone.
I disagree.
Consistency is what matters with rookies...not just putting together a couple of solid games.
Holloway had his issues defensively in the playoffs too.
It wasnt just all arrows up.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Is it? Holloway scored big goals in the playoffs and only getting better. Ardvidson has had multiple back issues and getting older. I hope he blows the doors off but to say Holloway should be on the bottom 6 is a dumb take too.
On our roster as is, he'll be on the 3rd or 4th lines. Especially when Kane is healthy.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
We now have the room to match on both players if we choose. Dealing from a position of strength now. Armstrong's brilliant work may end up netting him a 5th round pick in exchange for a 3rd round pick, as well as having a whack of GM's never trusting him again.
Blues are still short LD.
I imagine we could move them Kulak at an FU price.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Bit of an aside, and while the Red Wings would usually be considered bigger rivals, the Blues are rivals of the Hawks. Screwing over smug prick Armstrong and his fanbase is like a double f*** you for Bowman. Kind of ironic that he did it by trading with our “Blues” (Canucks) to start this off

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I hope Broberg comes out and takes some steps and proves me wrong. I’d like to see him succeed.

But I don’t really see how we upgrade the defense when Broberg makes 4.6m. We won’t be able to really afford anything else.
Barrie.

I don’t think we will. If we do that then we HAVE to move someone else when Kane comes back. All reports make it seem like Kane will be back around the deadline.

I don’t think Barrie would be. Barrie’s value came from his gravy McDrai minutes and PP ability. All things Bouchard will be doing instead.
Good point. That 2nd PP group will get a boost.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Because the reason behind his request matters. Friedman brought this up too. It's easy to look at Bouchard and think better of him because he never requested a trade, but the team bent over backwards for him and put him in the ultimate position to succeed, and we did this before he proved himself. Friedman pointed out that the issue with Broberg is his role. He doesn't feel that the Oilers really take him seriously. Matching this offer sheet would show that we are serious and sort of forces Knoblauch to give him the same kind of opportunity we gifted Bouchard. So we'd have two years to have Broberg get what he wants.

And to be clear, in that scenario both sides win. We are talking about exploring Broberg's potential instead of riding Ceci/Kulak above their pay grade yet again
There’s no I in team. However if he wants to be considered seriously then the I could construed as symbolic of how I feel about matching Broberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad