Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I'm going to say....

iu

1.0 million cap hit for the next two years, natural lefty, and 10th overall pick for a 4th, while we get cap space and a 3rd back? Yeah...Dylan's done in Edmonton.
IMO keeping Broberg is key, really liked what I saw from him down the stretch and in the playoffs

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Getting Holloway only, if that’s the result - would be pretty disappointing for St. Louis. While I think he’s a fine addition for depth- his offensive creativity and vision is just not there for me to consider him more than a third line type fixture. When I look at the Blues up front, I don't see how he moves the needle much. They got Tex, who is a better and more proven young player, for a 4th…and then paid him for 2 years for less than what they will be paying Holloway. In comparison to that move…Holloway for a 3rd and 2x$2.2 is just “meh”.

Clearly the Blues want Broberg for that perfectly Broberg-sized hole on the left side of the defense.

Question is, can Edmonton do enough other moves by Tuesday to make sure they can match?

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Getting Holloway only, if that’s the result - would be pretty disappointing for St. Louis. While I think he’s a fine addition for depth- his offensive creativity and vision is just not there for me to consider him more than a third line type fixture. When I look at the Blues up front, I don't see how he moves the needle much. They got Tex, who is a better and more proven young player, for a 4th…and then paid him for 2 years for less than what they will be paying Holloway. In comparison to that move…Holloway for a 3rd and 2x$2.2 is just “meh”.

Clearly the Blues want Broberg for that perfectly Broberg-sized hole on the left side of the defense.

Question is, can Edmonton do enough other moves by Tuesday to make sure they can match?
If Edmonton matches Broberg, waives Brown, and LTIR Kane, then they're cap complaint.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If Oilers match Broberg, is there any stipulation regarding contract buyout? Could the Oilers buy him out at the annual buyout window in June, or is that prohibited under a similar rule to the 1 yr trade rule?
Following somehow for the intrigue.

Since you can't trade said player for a calendar year I have to imagine you can't buyout for the same duration, but still curious

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
If Edmonton matches Broberg, waives Brown, and LTIR Kane, then they're cap complaint.

That’s frankly not a bad outcome for the Oilers from this doomsday scenario. Obviously the Kane situation will come to a head at some point it seems. But keeping Broberg both short and long term is way more important than Holloway. As we can see with the Pod deal, there are ways to add some bottom line forward depth pretty cheaply to help fill the loss of Holloway.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
They’ll have to create space for Kane when he comes back. Who’s getting traded when he is back?
Unless they're going to try to stash him LTIR the whole season, but without that I don't see a reasonable course for them to jettison 5M in season without paying heavily

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
They’ll have to create space for Kane when he comes back. Who’s getting traded when he is back?
Allows you a lot of time to find a deal for Ceci and Kulak, other teams will no longer have them by the balls and they can get fair value for them. If I’m the oilers I let both go though, Broberg getting that much money is just a complete albatross.

Reactions: McBooya42

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Those that follow Podkolzin don't think much of him. Seems like a significant talent downgrade from Holloway.

Reactions: McJedi

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Those that follow Podkolzin don't think much of him. Seems like a significant talent downgrade from Holloway.

You’re strictly hoping for progression with either of them. They’re both lotto picks. Only difference is I think Podkolzin is further removed from his draft year and probably isn’t currently much better of a player if at all. I’d take the gamble on Holloway before Podkolzin, but given the contracts and where the oilers are at, trading for Podkolzin is a better move than matching Holloway

Reactions: Oilslick941611

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
He's done more in his games played in the NHL than Holloway so far. From what I'm reading, he was stagnating there. Hopefully a new start will help.

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You’re strictly hoping for progression with either of them. They’re both lotto picks. Only difference is I think Podkolzin is further removed from his draft year and probably isn’t currently much better of a player if at all. I’d take the gamble on Holloway before Podkolzin, but given the contracts and where the oilers are at, trading for Podkolzin is a better move than matching Holloway
Podkolzin Is terrible. Good athlete but no hockey IQ. He’ll be a healthy scratch often in Edmonton.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Podkolzin Is terrible. Good athlete but no hockey IQ. He’ll be a healthy scratch often in Edmonton.
All he has to do to equal Holloway is play 11 mins a night and come away even.

I'm on team match Holloway, but even I admit he's the 4/5th best LW on the team when roster is healthy. Kane, RNH, Skinner are better and Janmark provides more with his PK ability and has a track record of putting up 15-20 points in a bottom 6 role pretty steadily.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He's done more in his games played in the NHL than Holloway so far. From what I'm reading, he was stagnating there. Hopefully a new start will help.
No he hasn’t. Podkolzin was a healthy scratch for most of the 2024 playoffs. Holloway played a consistent 12 minutes a game in the same playoffs.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
All he has to do to equal Holloway is play 11 mins a night and come away even.

I'm on team match Holloway, but even I admit he's the 4/5th best LW on the team when roster is healthy. Kane, RNH, Skinner are better and Janmark provides more with his PK ability and has a track record of putting up 15-20 points in a bottom 6 role pretty steadily.
Podkolzin Wasn’t even good enough to dress for Vancouver in the playoffs. So he’ll probably have a really hard time equaling Holloway from the press box.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Are the Oilers allowed to trade Holloway before Tuesday, or are their only options to match the offer sheet or let him go to St. Louis?

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Podkolzin Wasn’t even good enough to dress for Vancouver in the playoffs. So he’ll probably have a really hard time equaling Holloway from the press box.
Definitely a possibility. I'm sure if he sucks that badly in camp the Oilers can just pick up a depth guy on waivers that can do the job just fine.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

To be fair, Holloway didn’t light the world on fire for them last year either. You’re just hoping you can unlock something with either of them. I like Holloways profile better. But his chances are probably only marginally better than Podkolzins to be anything more than a bottom 6 player

Reactions: Oilslick941611
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad