Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
if it was my decision, I'd do the old Burke "Drive 'em to the airport."

Want to sign an offer sheet with a non playoff team? Instead of a run to the Cup? Adios. Sure, each of them could be the star they think they are, but I don't see it.

Go with the guys that want to be on the team. And wait for an opportunity to settle scores later.
Broberg is getting paid like 2.5X more than what he was asking for. Hockey careers are short, players who are established can take risks with less pay but for not established ones like Broberg, this might be his last NHL contract and in that context winning doesn’t really matter.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Broberg is getting paid like 2.5X more than what he was asking for. Hockey careers are short, players who are established can take risks with less pay but for not established ones like Broberg, this might be his last NHL contract and in that context winning doesn’t really matter.
Or that winning occurred the second he signed that OS on Blues letterhead. One way or another, he just signed a $9.2mm winning lottery ticket.

Really don’t see how Edmonton matches, sends a lot of wrong signals to the locker room. On a player that doesn’t want to be in that locker room.

Reactions: arttk

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The risk is always that this will cost them when renegociating with their RFAs... For any good RFA D-men prospect the starting price is probably 4.5 mils. Now, if Broberg dissapoints then any better young D-man may ask for more.

The TML thought they they were smart getting Tavares at no cost, but that that smart move screw the negociations with WN,MM, AM... It ended up costing a lot.
Yup. Broberg will be making more than Bouchard this coming season. That’s insane.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Daily Faceoff strongly insinuating Oilers will only match one, Holloway.

Even if they disagree on which player to match.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Daily Faceoff strongly insinuating Oilers will only match one, Holloway.

Even if they disagree on which player to match.
They really have no choice but to match Holloway, they have very thin depth. Holloway can at least be a proven bottom 6 player

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I have to agree with you. The $1.8m that Broberg wanted and the $1.2m that Holloway wanted was completely reasonable. The Oilers f***ed themselves. If I was an Oilers fan I'd be royally pissed.
Broberg wasn’t signing at 1.8. Ferris said wait for the summer

And Nurse will be making more than Makar. Insane.
Yeah. It is. But how does that have anything to do with matching broberg being a terrible idea?

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
It's mid August. Given the time of year it's a HUGE story. Besides, its a negative story about the Oilers and who doesn't enjoy a good Oiler beat down?

BTW, I see 89 pages and 2206 posts.

Blues Offersheet Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) | Oilers Have Till Aug 20th To Decide​

Check that thread. 118 pages, 2934 posts now - on the HF Oil board, not here. Calling it a non-story amongst Oiler fans is not quite an apt descriptor.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
If it was a hot take these players wouldn’t have signed for more money and less of a chance at the up. It’s reality
It's one thing to say that these players made the decision to leave the oilers for (a lot) more money than they would have made staying, while significantly reducing their chances of winning a cup in the next 2 years (probably zero). It's a whole 'nother thing to say that depth players don't care about winning cups and that cups only matter to stars.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Last edited:
Reactions: clydesdale line

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It's one thing to say that these players made the decision to leave the oilers for (a lot) more money than they would have made staying, while significantly reducing their chances of winning a cup in the next 2 years (probably zero). It's a whole 'nother thing to say that depth players don't care about winning cups and that cups only matter to stars.
In this scenario, it’s arguably exactly what’s happening.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
In this scenario, it’s arguably exactly what’s happening.
No it's not, unless you get a quote from the players that says that exactly. Maybe they don't believe in the Oilers core and don't think they can run it back and win a cup, so it's not at all about "choosing not to win a cup." Maybe in this very unique scenario, their pay increase was so significant that it overwhelmed the 10% chance of a cup especially for Broberg. This situation is way too unique to generalize to all depth players, which is what your original post did, and frankly is a ridiculous thing to try to claim ("depth players don't care about getting their name on the cup"). I will not be responding to any further weird attempts to defend your hot take, but you're free to keep believing it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I guess it depends how you look at it, with just a 2 year deal he would need to be extended sooner, and would have bargaining power to ask for a raise / arbitration. I wouldnt mind a longer term deal because I think he would live up to that number eventually, just probably not in two years
It seems very likely that he will be worth at least 5 million aav in 2 years

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If the Oilers let Holloway go, and somehow trade both Ceci and Kulak, they can sign Broberg, not LTIR Kane, and still be under the cap funny enough. If they don't trade Ceci and Kulak, they can keep Broberg, but they have to LTIR Kane.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
No it's not, unless you get a quote from the players that says that exactly. Maybe they don't believe in the Oilers core and don't think they can run it back and win a cup, so it's not at all about "choosing not to win a cup." Maybe in this very unique scenario, their pay increase was so significant that it overwhelmed the 10% chance of a cup especially for Broberg. This situation is way too unique to generalize to all depth players, which is what your original post did, and frankly is a ridiculous thing to try to claim ("depth players don't care about getting their name on the cup"). I will not be responding to any further weird attempts to defend your hot take, but you're free to keep believing it.
This right here, this is the scalding hot take.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
If Oilers match Broberg, is there any stipulation regarding contract buyout? Could the Oilers buy him out at the annual buyout window in June, or is that prohibited under a similar rule to the 1 yr trade rule?

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Wonder if Podkolzin is a sign towards the Oilers not matching on Holloway.
I'm going to say....

iu

1.0 million cap hit for the next two years, natural lefty, and 10th overall pick for a 4th, while we get cap space and a 3rd back? Yeah...Dylan's done in Edmonton.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad