Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yes, Broberg played in the playoffs last year, he was the #7 D-man in games played.... No, he didn't give hope of turning up the Nurse pair, as it was often explained to you, he gave hope of becoming a Decent-good D-man on the same side as Nurse. And no, he doesn't represent the future, the future of the Oilers depends on McD,Draisaitl, Hyman, Bouchard, Eklund and so no.... Our hopes don't start and end with Broberg, the only hope with Broberg before the offer sheet was that someday we maybe can give us a small bonus.

And despite what Oilers haters wanna think, while the offer shit puts us in a not so nice possition, the sky is not falling in Edmonton. Our hopes of making the playoffs and going deep do not rely on Broberg, and his potential impact is very very small compared with other players (and only if he plays like in the last 10% of the games of his career, otherwise he would have no impact wahtsoever).

Unless he progresses quite a bit over the next two years (which yes I know, can happen, but it also may NOT happen), this did NOT weakened our D for the next years.... But of course, all haters know that once a prospect leaves the Oilers he will suddenly become a star. We have seen that with Yakupov, with Pulju and now it is Broberg's turn.

The reality is that it will be few years until we really know if this offer shit trully hurt the Oilers or not.
It definitely weakened it as you either lose Broberg or you lose Ceci/Kulak and cap freedom. In either case, you are weakened as well as losing young talent on the 2nd oldest team in the league.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I have no idea what type of team St. Louis wants to be youd think they’ve got enough mid level players but I like the audacity of this. 7/10 on the crazy scale 6.5/10 on the smarts

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I have no idea what type of team St. Louis wants to be youd think they’ve got enough mid level players but I like the audacity of this. 7/10 on the crazy scale 6.5/10 on the smarts
I’d give it a 9/10 on the smarts. They are rebuilding and if the Oilers don’t match or only match one player then they get a good asset or two at a fairly low cost and weaken another team. If the Oilers match both then it cost them nothing to weaken another team . It’s a really smart move without a lot of downside.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Yeah. So do oiler coaches. Ceci is a guy they play a ton. 20 minutes a game. Those are 2nd pair minutes. Ceci is definitely expected to play 2nd pair for Edmonton going into this season.

Without Ceci. The coaches can give his 20 minutes a game and all those D zone starts to Bouchard and Nurse. Or perhaps Kulak and Joshua Brown. Have fun with that.
Ahh, gotcha. The old Sabre fan thought process on Ristolainen being a legit #1D. He plays therefore he is. Understood.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I’d give it a 9/10 on the smarts. They are rebuilding and if the Oilers don’t match or only match one player then they get a good asset or two at a fairly low cost and weaken another team. If the Oilers match both then it cost them nothing to weaken another team . It’s a really smart move without a lot of downside.
As an Oiler fan I hate it but as a hockey fan I love it. Smart move by Armstrong and gave fans something exciting to talk about in August. t's like watching a series with a cliff hanger ending and you can't wait for the next episode to see what happens.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
As an Oiler fan I hate it but as a hockey fan I love it. Smart move by Armstrong and gave fans something exciting to talk about in August. t's like watching a series with a cliff hanger ending and you can't wait for the next episode to see what happens.
Ha, i respect that and 100% agree. When it happened to the Habs, i had to laugh. When it backfired on the Canes, i laughed harder.

I wish there were more offersheets. Its a smart tactical maneuver when done right.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Ahh, gotcha. The old Sabre fan thought process on Ristolainen being a legit #1D. He plays therefore he is. Understood.
Does it matter? If Edmonton had better players than Ceci? They’d play them right.

You show me which guys Edmonton added this offseason that are better than Ceci. Is it Joshua Brown or Troy Stecher? Which of those two is going to take those 20 defensive minutes a night and play better than Ceci?

Please explain? As such. He plays therefor he is or at least he’s expected to be. Has to be.

If they lose Ceci… do those minutes go to Kulak? So they make the 35 year old Ekholm play more? More Nurse? Wear those guys out? Do they make Bouchard play more defensive minutes?

Reactions: Oilslick941611

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Does it matter? If Edmonton had better players than Ceci? They’d play them right.

You show me which guys Edmonton added this offseason that are better than Ceci. Is it Joshua Brown or Troy Stecher? Which of those two is going to take those 20 defensive minutes a night and play better than Ceci?

Please explain? As such. He plays therefor he is or at least he’s expected to be. Has to be.
I don't need to defend your straw man.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
And they’re only signed for two years. It’s not like St. Louis is tied to these guys for years and years. Low risk, high reward.

If Edmonton looked at it like this as well (and opened up cap space to do so), then I could see them matching both.

I suspect they’ll match Holloway only, however. Leon, McDavid and Bouchard all have near future contracts that need to be completed.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
How is that a strawman. Pick a real player Edmonton has today that can replace Ceci’s 20 minutes a game.
Why do I have to do that?

I suppose you could plug anyone in and still be the worst. There's no where left to go.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Exactly the same? Broberg didn't play in the playoffs last season? Broberg didn't give hope of turning the Nurse pairing into a potential 2nd pairing? Broberg doesn't represent the future?

Yeah, its just rosy for the Oilers. No impact at all. lol

It got weaker. And if the Oilers match, significantly weaker due to having to dump salary.

Broberg was a commonality on the two worst analytical D pairings the Oilers had in the playoffs that played meaningful minutes together - Kulak-Broberg, Nurse-Broberg. Both pairs bled chances against and only were positive due to a 96% OIsv% (when during Broberg's 80 game sample during reg. season he has an ~88) and Broberg's personal 33 sh% (look at the fluke goal against FLA). So no, he did not have a hope of making that a second pairing.

Broberg is being overrated on here due to recency bias of his anomalistic playoffs and his draft position. I'd argue Ville Heinola a good comparison to Broberg, they both have similar stats at all levels and have both had a similar 'cup of coffee' in the NHL. Neither have proven anything and have had their struggles cracking an NHL roster.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Why do I have to do that?

I suppose you could plug anyone in and still be the worst. There's no where left to go.
Just because a team doesn’t have a better option and you need to play like a top 4D doesn’t mean you are truly a top 4D. Ceci for all intents and purposes is a bottom pairing guy being utilized like a top 4D which is why he shows glimpses of being good and streaks of being terrible. He’s not a guy you should feel comfortable with logging 20 minutes a game.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
The risk is always that this will cost them when renegociating with their RFAs... For any good RFA D-men prospect the starting price is probably 4.5 mils. Now, if Broberg dissapoints then any better young D-man may ask for more.

The TML thought they they were smart getting Tavares at no cost, but that that smart move screw the negociations with WN,MM, AM... It ended up costing a lot.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The risk is always that this will cost them when renegociating with their RFAs... For any good RFA D-men prospect the starting price is probably 4.5 mils. Now, if Broberg dissapoints then any better young D-man may ask for more.

The TML thought they they were smart getting Tavares at no cost, but that that smart move screw the negociations with WN,MM, AM... It ended up costing a lot.
Not really. The 3 Leafs were always going to get those salaries. Had nothing to do with signing Tavares.
These short term two year signings if they happen won’t impact the Blues other signings at all.

Reactions: Blueswin

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Not really. The 3 Leafs were always going to get those salaries. Had nothing to do with signing Tavares.
These short term two year signings if they happen won’t impact the Blues other signings at all.

“The thing I learned was once we signed John to the (AAV) we did, it lifted the lid on the entire ceiling,” Dubas said.

Dubas admitted that once Tavares was signed, it raised the salary cap ceiling, complicating further contract talks, including the pending ones related to Marner’s expiring deal and his potential trade away from the organization.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

“The thing I learned was once we signed John to the (AAV) we did, it lifted the lid on the entire ceiling,” Dubas said.

Dubas admitted that once Tavares was signed, it raised the salary cap ceiling, complicating further contract talks, including the pending ones related to Marner’s expiring deal and his potential trade away from the organization.
That’s Dubas in hindsight trying to excuse his dreadful negotiations with the 3 young players. If that was the case it should have raised salaries for every other team too.
I mean does the Nurse contract inflate Oiler contracts?

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
That’s Dubas in hindsight trying to excuse his dreadful negotiations with the 3 young players. If that was the case it should have raised salaries for every other team too.
I mean does the Nurse contract impact inflate Oiler contracts?
HFBoards poster's own version of reality vs. the guy that actually signed the contracts providing his real, lived experience. Hmm, which one is more believable?

Nurse probably does, yes. No way Bouchard's AAV comes in under Nurse, whereas had the Nurse contract not existed potentially Bouchard is using the Makar one as a comparable - signing at same age, similar offensive totals in year prior to signing (assuming bouchard puts up similar #'s this year), no norris for Bouchard though. And before some idiot starts something, I'm not comparing Bouchard to Makar, just contracts.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
HFBoards poster's own version of reality vs. the guy that actually signed the contracts providing his real, lived experience. Hmm, which one is more believable?

Nurse probably does, yes. No way Bouchard's AAV comes in under Nurse, whereas had the Nurse contract not existed potentially Bouchard is using the Makar one as a comparable - signing at same age, similar offensive totals in year prior to signing (assuming bouchard puts up similar #'s this year), no norris for Bouchard though. And before some idiot starts something, I'm not comparing Bouchard to Makar, just contracts.
I’ll use logic and other situations rather than hindsight excuses from the GM whose biggest mistake was tying up so much cap in 4 forwards. Signing Tavares was a mistake but not because it set the salary for the 3 young guys but because it created a forward heavy cap structure and left no room to improve the D and goaltending. All 3 of those guys were getting close to that salary regardless of Tavares. Dubas should have moved one for a strong D instead of bragging ‘we can and we will’ keep all of them.

For the Oilers Bouchard’s contract will be based on league wide comparables and the fact that they can’t afford to lose him which gives him leverage. Not because the Oilers massively overpaid Nurse. On that logic McDavid and Draisaitl should both demand max salary because of the Nurse contract.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

They're retooling. Trying to stay somewhat competitive while the next wave of talent arrives. Snuggerud, Bolduc, Dvorsky, Kessel, Hofer, Neighbours, Lindstein, Stenberg, Dean, etc.

Adding young players is extremely in line with that approach. Especially big and fast ones who can play an in-your-face style. They've lacked intensity and straight-line players lately. They want to build towards the style of play Neighbors and Toropchenko bring.

JTRAIN1966

Jul 18, 2012
Imperial, Mo.
Cope. If Nurse either played up to his contract, or was paid appropriately for what he is, the Oilers would’ve won the Cup. And they either wouldn’t be at all worried about losing a player like Broberg, or they’d have the cap space to match both comfortably if they wanted to, with maybe a little tweaking. That boat anchor is the cause of all their current problems.
Either way...... the management team for the Oilers have let the fans down .

I really do feel for the Edmonton faithful for having such an atrocious front office/management team running things .

It's going to suck for them if, McDavid & Draisaitil don't get that Cup for them because of the ineptitude of the front office/management team .

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Either way...... the management team for the Oilers have let the fans down .

I really do feel for the Edmonton faithful for having such an atrocious front office/management team running things .

It's going to suck for them if, McDavid & Driastil don't get that Cup for them because of the ineptitude of the front office/management team .
The problem is it’s not just one bad management group. It’s successive ones with Lowe, Chiarelli and Holland. And now Bowman not off to a promising start in his first few months on the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad