Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Dylan Holloway (2 years, $2.290457M AAV) and D Philip Broberg (2 years, $4.580917M AAV) sign offer sheets with the Blues (not matched)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
They aren’t attaching assets to trade Kane. He’s been a model citizen in Edmonton and it was reported just last week that there was a trade market for him.
The one click bait article claiming that the Kings and Ducks are interested?

The Kings don't have the capspace and the Ducks are not to the point to add a player like Kane.

If there was a market he would have been traded already

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Broberg was asking for $1.8, Holloway for 1.2… Friedman reported that… these numbers came from out of the blue(s).

Nobody was expecting they’d shown enough for this to be a real threat. To that extent, t’s very well played by Armstrong… you can’t really blame Jackson or Skinner for this.
Right but Skinner was a luxury signing when they could have taken care of Broberg and Holloway early at a much cheaper cap hit. They decided not to, gambled and lost. It obviously isn't Skinners fault he was offered a contract and accepted it, but Oilers management didn't come out on the right side of it.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
They aren’t attaching assets to trade Kane. He’s been a model citizen in Edmonton and it was reported just last week that there was a trade market for him.
He's declined significantly. He is oft injured. He would be coming off surgery / LTIR. Has another year on the contract with a modified NMC. And has all that other baggage you choose to ignore.

If would take a significant asset to dump Kane. At least a 1st.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
long thread for a couple of 2-3mil types
But that's not what is remarkable about this situation. When was the last time that one team made two offer sheets to players from one team, and a Cup finalist at that, both at the same time?

Never. Sounds pretty dramatic, to me. Also, while i am sympathetic to the argument that Holloway and Broberg aren't worth much, it ignores their age, and potential to be top 9 and top 4 players, respectively.

All in all, a pretty juicy topic for discussion for any hockey fan.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's declined significantly. He is oft injured. He would be coming off surgery / LTIR. Has another year on the contract with a modified NMC. And has all that other baggage you choose to ignore.

If would take a significant asset to dump Kane. At least a 1st.
At least a 1st in normal times.... more than that for sure with better teams who's 1sts will be later on in the draft. A rushed trade, with no salary coming back, when rosters are all but set on most teams?

I don't see GM's rushing to get him for late 1st's ... does EDM still have their 2025 1st?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Who can afford him that realistically wouldn’t be on his NTC once he’s out of the NMC portion? The assumption is you have to move him with no salary coming back.
The NMC is a big problem agree. We can take some salary back though… if we are trading him to keep Holloway, we really only need to shed a net of $2.6. (Ie half of Kane)

Obviously you’d rather have the full cap gone so you can accrue cap space to spend on a Ceci upgrade…

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
At least a 1st in normal times.... more than that for sure with better teams who's 1sts will be later on in the draft. A rushed trade, with no salary coming back, when rosters are all but set on most teams?

I don't see GM's rushing to get him for late 1st's ... does EDM still have their 2025 1st?
100% agree. Forgot to add the desperation factor of the Oilers will make it even worse as GMs will tax them hard. Then the Bowman factor on top. The Blues really pumped them hard with this OS.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
100% agree. Forgot to add the desperation factor of the Oilers will make it even worse as GMs will tax them hard. Then the Bowman factor on top. The Blues really pumped them hard with this OS.
Only thing that i'm not sure of is any "Bowman factor". Is he actually disliked around the league by other GM's?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Only thing that i'm not sure of is any "Bowman factor". Is he actually disliked around the league by other GM's?
I think its easier for GMs to disrespect him compared to others due to his past. The Oilers contender / cup favorite mantra also adds to the potential dislike. I just don't see any GMs doing him favors.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
But that's not what is remarkable about this situation. When was the last time that one team made two offer sheets to players from one team, and a Cup finalist at that, both at the same time?

Never. Sounds pretty dramatic, to me. Also, while i am sympathetic to the argument that Holloway and Broberg aren't worth much, it ignores their age, and potential to be top 9 and top 4 players, respectively.

All in all, a pretty juicy topic for discussion for any hockey fan.

Gotta love those “why are we talking about this?” types. My guy, you’re on a hockey forum in the offseason, you clicked the thread, added to the post count- the f*** are we doin here!?

Not you, obviously, great explanation, but some people just wanna be negative nancys.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Right but Skinner was a luxury signing when they could have taken care of Broberg and Holloway early at a much cheaper cap hit. They decided not to, gambled and lost. It obviously isn't Skinners fault he was offered a contract and accepted it, but Oilers management didn't come out on the right side of it.
I don’t think the delay on Holloway or Broberg had anything to do with Skinner.

More likely it had to do with:

A) the negotiations themselves… Oilers management had designs to fit them both in without any trades, but the demands were trending toward requiring a Ceci trade… oilers would certainly prefer Skinner over Ceci.

B) Draisaitl (and maybe Bouchard) being the GM’s only priority right now… those signings have impact for next year as do Broberg and Holloway… so they were likely just waiting to see how much was left over for them in year 2.

Anyway… we certainly got screwed by waiting, but not because of Skinner IMO.

Oilers were just applying more leverage than they actually had… Armstrong did them dirty.

It’s quite impressive and a huge bet on Armstrongs part

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think the Bowman factor is completely made up by fans and some writers that have nothing else to write about. They want it to be true so they create this false narrative in case they can wish it true.
If Bowman needs to dump cap (Ceci / Kane), and gets taken to the cleaners, then the Bowman stigma will persist. If he is able to remove salary in a fair manner, then the Bowman factor is likely a false narrative. Time will tell.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
JJ jumped the gun on both Perry and Skinner, it overplayed his hand and put the team in a position to lose two younger players.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
There was a lot of talk around Edmonton this offseason that they promised Draisaitl better wingers and there is definitely something to that topic. McDavid always gets the better wingers and Draisaitl gets to make something out of Holloway or McLeod, etc. With Draisaitl needing a new contract soon, you can bet Skinner and Arvidsson are both a lock for Draisaitl's line. Then in a year i seems that the plan might be for Savoie to replace Skinner at that spot. Not really sure on that because too many on these boards are positive that Edmonton is too short sighted for that and that they never have longer term plans in mind.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Dallas is (or rather, WAS) a paper tiger. Super overrated. They lost depth, their D is f***ed and they are relying on Stank and Mav.

You hang out with us over at HFBlues, so you know that almost everyone there had Dallas winning the Cup. Not me.

Why isn't Harley extended already?

Anyway, I also thought the Oilers were in good position to make another deep run at the Cup this coming season until these two offer sheets. I don't think they match either.
Dallas is only a paper tiger because Jamie Benn sucks at hockey. If he tears his ACL in training camp then Dallas will win the Cup this year.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
If Bowman needs to dump cap (Ceci / Kane), and gets taken to the cleaners, then the Bowman stigma will persist. If he is able to remove salary in a fair manner, then the Bowman factor is likely a false narrative. Time will tell.
That isn't a Bowman factor though. That is purely a GM trying to get more from a team in a trade when that kind of trade needs to be made. That scenario would persist if that GM wasn't named Bowman, but was any other GM in the league. If a GM wasn't trying to do that with whoever the other GM was,, he wouldn't be doing his job. It is a thing in regular life too. If you don't need to sell something, then you only will if you are given an offer you can't refuse.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That isn't a Bowman factor though. That is purely a GM trying to get more from a team in a trade when that kind of trade needs to be made. That scenario would persist if that GM wasn't named Bowman, but was any other GM in the league. If a GM wasn't trying to do that with whoever the other GM was,, he wouldn't be doing his job. It is a thing in regular life too. If you don't need to sell something, then you only will if you are given an offer you can't refuse.
My point is... Oiler fans seem to think Ceci / Kulak should net a return or neutral value given the situation. If that hold out, then its clear there is no Bowman factor. If on the other hand, the Oilers get taken to the cleaners, well then the Bowman factor may indeed be true. IMO.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Love how this has just turned into a circle jerk for the same handful of people to continually try and insist to Oiler fans how f***ed the team is.

We get it. Go eat your fruit now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad