GDT: Le Butthurts de Montreal at YOUR CAROLINA HURRICANES

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Glad you didn't mention pierogies in Parma. They suck. Now Slyman's has the damn biggest corned beef sandwich I have ever had. And I've been to the Jewish delis in NYC and many other places.
Never had the pierogies in Parma, but the pierogies at the Market are really good

Also not saying you cant find authentic food elsewhere but the older north cities have larger ethnic communities and a good portion of them havent blended into other communities as much as southern cities so getting real food is much easier.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Never had the pierogies in Parma, but the pierogies at the Market are really good

Also not saying you cant find authentic food elsewhere but the older north cities have larger ethnic communities and a good portion of them havent blended into other communities as much as southern cities so getting real food is much easier.
At least in the Triangle you are getting more interesting ethnic food restaurants opening up as people move down here and see opportunity. There are a few Italian places that I (and my 100% Italian mother) have been thrilled with.

Morrisville/Cary line has a large Indian enclave that has brought some good Indian food into the area. An was a fantastic high end southeast Asian restaurant; haven't tried ko an yet to see if it has maintained that level.

It takes a little more work to find than throwing a rock in southern CT and hitting a great Italian restaurant, but there are definitely places to find in the Triangle. It's a lot harder to find southern food up north.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
You are the one talking about sandwich shops. When I talk about northern food im talking about walking into a real Italian joint in little Italy, getting Polish food at a Polish food joint, Gyro's made by Greek people. Not sandwiches. Also again Southern food (sans BBQ) is grease and flour if you get it from someone that really knows what they are doing they add a little pepper.
'you're the only one talking about sandwich shops'

[proceeds to talk about gyros]

Small pockets of ethnic food do not a broad food culture make. And there's lots of ethnic food in the south, too. Gyros made by greek people are ridiculously easy to find. In Greensboro there are several competing options. If that's your bar for good food, your bar is very, very low. Immigrants don't just move to the north.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
'you're the only one talking about sandwich shops'

[proceeds to talk about gyros]

Small pockets of ethnic food do not a broad food culture make. And there's lots of ethnic food in the south, too. Gyros made by greek people are ridiculously easy to find. In Greensboro there are several competing options. If that's your bar for good food, your bar is very, very low. Immigrants don't just move to the north.
Ive been to a few places in Gboro with gyros, the ones I had were about as authentic as Panda Express is.

Reactions: hockeynjune

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Ive been to a few places in Gboro with gyros, the ones I had were about as authentic as Panda Express is.

Mythos, Ghassans (2nd generation at this point), and Acropolis are all owned and run by actual greek people. Zaytoon is run by Palestinians. Maybe you're conflating "authentic" and "premium"? Because if you have a gyro/kabob in europe, most of them are pretty average street food. Because this great "authentic" food you're glorifying is the culinary equivalent of a hot dog stand in its home region.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Mythos, Ghassans (2nd generation at this point), and Acropolis are all owned and run by actual greek people. Zaytoon is run by Palestinians. Maybe you're conflating "authentic" and "premium"? Because if you have a gyro/kabob in europe, most of them are pretty average street food. Because this great "authentic" food you're glorifying is the culinary equivalent of a hot dog stand in its home region.
Jesus ok you win, the grease and flour food of the south is the best ever.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
All places have some great original food. And all places have over hyped food that is fine, but that people will start arguments over.

And I will get fat in all of those places because I can't tell the differnce and I like to eat.
The argument/convo should’ve ended here. Gimme all the foods. Mostly cause I’m hungry but also cause I don’t want to go to the grocery store.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad