LD Zeev Buium - University of Denver, NCAA (2024, 12th, MIN)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
To Juxtaposer’s point, I don’t think this trend is really all that new. Denis Potvin was seen as an undersized defenseman 40 years ago at six feet.
I don't recall that, at all. Potvin was a very solid player, and no one that I can remember talked about his lack of size.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Ahh yes - the Flyers is DEFINATELY the franchise to look to when it comes to making intelligent drafting decisions.
Holy crap, I have said over and over in this thread that I think it’s stupid. I’m just pointing out that it’s a real trend in the NHL right now.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Holy crap, I have said over and over in this thread that I think it’s stupid. I’m just pointing out that it’s a real trend in the NHL right now.
Yeah right, you hate Buium, Wild fans, and probably hockey too! :sarcasm:

I don't get why people can't separate the message from the messenger, either. Maybe they just want to be outraged? You've been very clear that it's not you who is pushing for that change, it's NHL GMs.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
dude , zeev wins everywhere he goes is that just coincidence? i think NOT! I believe he is the PERFECT fit for my wild for the next DECADE. ps IF zeev is as good as i think he can be Philly will say they screwed the pooch on this draft.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
dude , zeev wins everywhere he goes is that just coincidence? i think NOT! I believe he is the PERFECT fit for my wild for the next DECADE. ps IF zeev is as good as i think he can be Philly will say they screwed the pooch on this draft.
Buium will likely be better. Write it down in Sharpie...

Best case: Adam Fox
Worst case: Josh Morrissey

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Perhaps a real trend among losing franchises?
The Wild's defense has been pretty small for years now and they haven't won anything, where the Lightning's smallest during their Cup years was 6'0" (Shattenkirk), and averaged more than 6'3". The Avs team that won with a small-sized defense corps averaged 6'1.5", which is near what the Wild have averaged. So what conclusion can we draw?

Because big defensemen are so overwhelming in number throughout the NHL, both winning and losing teams employ lots of them, so no conclusions can really be drawn as to whether it's a good strategy or not. I'd rather have a good small player than a bad big player, but I'd also rather have a good big player than a good small player.

I think Buium will be a great defenseman, and a team can absolutely win with a great defenseman of his size, but lets also be cognizant of the fact: teams ARE preferring bigger defensemen and that can affect draft position. That's not an attack on you or Buium, it's just a fact.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can easily see Buium end up being Suter or Keith's size, and no one ever called them "small defenseman". My slight concerns about Buium are his average(not slow, or bad) speed, physicality, and defense. His skating is otherwise quite good. I think he is a smart player, and will be able to be an average defensive player, to go with an above average(hopefully well above) offensive game.

This guy is not a LHD version of Faber, who always excelled defensively, and exploded offensively as a NHL rookie. I guess MN fans can hope that he is the bizarro Faber, playing great offense and exploding defensively(doesn't sound right) in the NHL?

I am not expecting great from this guy. 30-40 points, and decent defense will be a win, and a great outcome for a #12 pick. Brodin was a #10, and is considered a very successful pick.

Reactions: Larry44

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
The Wild's defense has been pretty small for years now and they haven't won anything, where the Lightning's smallest during their Cup years was 6'0" (Shattenkirk), and averaged more than 6'3". The Avs team that won with a small-sized defense corps averaged 6'1.5", which is near what the Wild have averaged. So what conclusion can we draw?

Because big defensemen are so overwhelming in number throughout the NHL, both winning and losing teams employ lots of them, so no conclusions can really be drawn as to whether it's a good strategy or not. I'd rather have a good small player than a bad big player, but I'd also rather have a good big player than a good small player.

I think Buium will be a great defenseman, and a team can absolutely win with a great defenseman of his size, but lets also be cognizant of the fact: teams ARE preferring bigger defensemen and that can affect draft position. That's not an attack on you or Buium, it's just a fact.

I don't honestly think size has much to do with anything other than being able to clear bodies in front of the net easier...maybe some board battle stuff - but forwards are winning those often enough to where I don't think that matters.

Bigger bodies take up more space which means more blocked shots? That is their theory behind big goaltenders anyway. Unskilled? Just be 6'5 and butterfly - throw a couple of tanks in front of him and the % of shots that get through will be as minimized as possible.

Coaches and GMs try to minimize risk and create certainty in a game with not a lot of it. Silly approach if you ask me - but I dont run an NHL team.

Plgilbert89

Jul 10, 2024
Quebec
As a Utah fan Im quite jealous that The Wild will have that Faber-Buium top pairing for years to come. I couldn't believe he fell to that spot as I was kinda secretly hoping for him at 5th for Utah.

Reactions: majormajor

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I can easily see Buium end up being Suter or Keith's size, and no one ever called them "small defenseman". My slight concerns about Buium are his average(not slow, or bad) speed, physicality, and defense. His skating is otherwise quite good. I think he is a smart player, and will be able to be an average defensive player, to go with an above average(hopefully well above) offensive game.

This guy is not a LHD version of Faber, who always excelled defensively, and exploded offensively as a NHL rookie. I guess MN fans can hope that he is the bizarro Faber, playing great offense and exploding defensively(doesn't sound right) in the NHL?

I am not expecting great from this guy. 30-40 points, and decent defense will be a win, and a great outcome for a #12 pick. Brodin was a #10, and is considered a very successful pick.
Faber wouldn't have been a defensive rockstar in college in the 2019-20 season either. And I think Buium is currently pretty underrated in that regard anyway.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta

Don’t kill my high baby baby

Reactions: 57special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad