Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XXIV

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Why don’t you think he can beat out Poitras at this point. He has a better track record in the pro’s.
Because Poitras is the better player by a sizable margin IMO

And how does Merkulov have a better track record? Because his numbers look better in Providence than Poitras' in Boston? You can't really compare them statistically at all

Poitras just appears as a more natural center, not fast but crafty and shifty, battles hard for picks, excellent playmaker, backchecks hard, great hockey IQ. The underlining numbers support it as well. He had the 2nd highest CORSI 5v5 on the team just behind Pastrnak. The kid is good.

Like what I said, I'm not trying to be overly critical of Merkulov. I like the kid and hope he can contribute to the big club but I think his best path to make it is as a goalscoring winger.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Because Poitras is the better player by a sizable margin IMO

And how does Merkulov have a better track record? Because his numbers look better in Providence than Poitras' in Boston? You can't really compare them statistically at all

Poitras just appears as a more natural center, not fast but crafty and shifty, battles hard for picks, excellent playmaker, backchecks hard, great hockey IQ. The underlining numbers support it as well. He had the 2nd highest CORSI 5v5 on the team just behind Pastrnak. The kid is good.

Like what I said, I'm not trying to be overly critical of Merkulov. I like the kid and hope he can contribute to the big club but I think his best path to make it is as a goalscoring winger.
Poitras after 20-40 games was overmatched and gassed. Guys were running him. Merk didn’t get the games Poitras did.

Reactions: Blowfish

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Poitras after 20-40 games was overmatched and gassed. Guys were running him. Merk didn’t get the games Poitras did.
But that doesn't prove Merkulov has a better track record in the pros? If anything you are proving the point that Poitras was successful in the big leagues and began to feel the effects of a more demanding and physical league as a 19 year old...

If there is one area for improvement you want from a young player it's exactly this. It's a borderline initiation for most guys and almost every successful NHLer goes through a period of this early in their career. Look no further than Pasta's development curve. His first couple years he spent half the games on the ice. Even generational players like Bedard went/are going through this.

Most of these kids just simply haven't grown into their bodies enough and need to continue adding muscle and strength to endure the grind of a NHL season.

Poitras is so ahead of the curve by showing he can actually drive play at such a young age, I really think he's only going to get better with age

Merkulov is almost 4 years older and still hasn't cracked into the league (and didn't really look all that good in his call-up). I don't think you can really compare them at all. I'd like to see Merk get a chance and I think his best opportunity is on the wing.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Poitras got 40 games because he was one of the Bruins best players in camp, and played outstanding for the first 10+ games.

Merk didn't get the games, because he was lousy in camp, and then was lousy when given a chance

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
99% could not pick merkulov out of a lineup and they are going by 5 games not live viewings in Providence

Same BS in 2010 99% wanted Marchand shot into the sun

Don’t blame me ask Marchand or his family they were very aware what was written

Different opinion is really I have no f***ing clue

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I’m very high on Poitras

He stands out in DC

Bigger & stronger physically

Mind gets it per Conor Ryan Boston Globe 7/2

“I needed to put on a bit of size. I came into camp last year definitely undersized. There were some bigger guys that maybe I couldn’t hold my own against as much.

So I think this year is just going in a little bit bigger, a little bit stronger, kind of choose my spots a bit more- because sometimes I’d take some big hits that aren’t necessary and kind of hurt me, and maybe that’s why I didn’t get a chance to finish the season.”

Even with surgery hindering some of his offseason work, Poitras has added 8-9 pounds.

While he doesn’t profile as a bruising presence, the added weight might be the difference between a patented reverse hit and a bone-crushing slam into the boards.

“I feel a bit stronger….i want to be able to win those one -on-one battles because I’m a guy who likes to have the puck up in the zone.
So that’s kind of where it stems from.”

Fantastic

He gets it

Become a dogged player - for those who remember Greg Sheppard this what I see early on

Third line who projects higher - very competitive and smart with very high hockey IQ ~ not just survives but is feisty smart

50 points per 82 where i’m at and go from there
Love the comparison to the Hustlin' Hound, Gregg Sheppard!

Reactions: Gordoff and DKH

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
99% could not pick merkulov out of a lineup and they are going by 5 games not live viewings in Providence

Same BS in 2010 99% wanted Marchand shot into the sun

Don’t blame me ask Marchand or his family they were very aware what was written

Different opinion is really I have no f***ing clue
It's so different though.

Marchand was doubted for a brief time at a young age. He was a 3rd round pick, had a cup with a monster playoff performance, and a 50+ point season on his resume before Merkulov has broken in to the league yet.

I am genuinely asking, what is the big league comp for someone like Merkulov? Like what middle six centers went undrafted, didn't break into the league until 24 years old, are below average size, below average at the face-off dot, average speed at best, not a PK option. Just basically a goalscoring pivot?

I don't think theres really any center like that in the league because they are relied to do so much more than wingers. They need to play a complete game.

To answer my own question, maybe Yanni Gourde? Except he brings basically every single one of those intangibles.

The amount of undrafted goalscoring wingers? It's a laundry list.

Not anti-merk but I'm anti-center-merk

Reactions: Gordoff

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Marchand was doubted for a brief time at a young age. He was a 3rd round pick, had a cup with a monster playoff performance, and a 50+ point season on his resume before Merkulov has broken in to the league yet.

I am genuinely asking, what is the big league comp for someone like Merkulov? Like what middle six centers went undrafted, didn't break into the league until 24 years old, are below average size, below average at the face-off dot, average speed at best, not a PK option. Just basically a goalscoring pivot?

I don't think theres really any center like that in the league because they are relied to do so much more than wingers. They need to play a complete game.

To answer my own question, maybe Yanni Gourde? Except he brings basically every single one of those intangibles.

Questioning a player, or questioning whether a player fits at a position is not being anti the player. Good grief there isn't a person on the board who doesn't wish Merk becomes a 50 point center.

there are things Merkulov has to get better at to have any chance at center in the league, one of course being faceoffs. You have to be at least in the upper 40% range to play at this level.

People talk about Marchand and his slow start, but he was a good enough 200 foot player that he was able to stay in the lineup until he developed the offensive part of his game. And of course it is easier to let someone develop at W than C .

Ultimately Merk needs to beat out Poitras to make the team (barring an injury to Coyle or Lindholm ), he doesn't have a game that would play on the 4th line, certainly not with the way the Bruins seem to want the 4th line to play this year. Merk needs to come in and have a great camp to at least position himself to be an option when an injury does come. Also, not sure how you train this, but he better be working on faceoffs 2 hours a day somewhere this summer.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Questioning a player, or questioning whether a player fits at a position is not being anti the player. Good grief there isn't a person on the board who doesn't wish Merk becomes a 50 point center.

there are things Merkulov has to get better at to have any chance at center in the league, one of course being faceoffs. You have to be at least in the upper 40% range to play at this level.

People talk about Marchand and his slow start, but he was a good enough 200 foot player that he was able to stay in the lineup until he developed the offensive part of his game. And of course it is easier to let someone develop at W than C .

Ultimately Merk needs to beat out Poitras to make the team (barring an injury to Coyle or Lindholm ), he doesn't have a game that would play on the 4th line, certainly not with the way the Bruins seem to want the 4th line to play this year. Merk needs to come in and have a great camp to at least position himself to be an option when an injury does come. Also, not sure how you train this, but he better be working on faceoffs 2 hours a day somewhere this summer.
I agree with most of this. Two points of contention. Even if he doesn’t beat out Poitras he should still get the injury opportunities so it is not quite an end all be all. He does have to make himself the first option which is no sure thing but feels like it should be. Secondly I do think he could play a 4th line role if push came to shove it just means the deployment of the 4th line would probably change. We have the top 9 to spread out those defensive zone draws even if it is our go to plan. You make adjustments when injuries hit and the Bruins appear to have many options to make those adjustments.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY

Not a center but I will go back a bit.....Glen Murray ?

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Not a center but I will go back a bit.....Glen Murray ?
Glen Murray was such a beauty but center is key. The whole point I'm trying to make is what kind of center does Merkulov project to be.

To clarify, it has to be a

Center
Undrafted
Middle Six
Offense only
Under 180 lbs
Below AVG FO%

I'm really not trying to be overly critical but if there is someone out there, it will give me some type of hope otherwise he would have to be a player in this league that we've never seen before.

But if you change center to winger? Much easier. I immediately think of someone like Conor Sheary

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Camp will settle this debate.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Day 1 of the WJSS was my first time ever seeing Hendrickson and Pelosi in action.
I liked Hendrickson's game a lot. He exclusively played wing but got a good amount of ice time including on the PP & PK. His skating was better than I expected. He made a number of nice defensive plays (couple poke checks, blocked a shot). He made several nice passes and had two decent scoring chances himself in the final minutes of the third. Thumbs up for game one.
Pelosi was just OK. He mostly played center and got PK time but nothing on the PP (Team Blue had more firepower than White though). He had a nice power move to the net and a sneaky hard backhand shot at one point but not too much else. I believe he had a secondary assist though. One qualm: he had a few instances where he just threw the puck to no one in defensive zone...he's going to need to make smarter plays if he's going to make the bottom 6.
Kostadinski was a healthy scratch. Sweden supposedly ran into equipment troubles due to travel issues...not sure if that is why he didn't play or not.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Day 1 of the WJSS was my first time ever seeing Hendrickson and Pelosi in action.
I liked Hendrickson's game a lot. He exclusively played wing but got a good amount of ice time including on the PP & PK. His skating was better than I expected. He made a number of nice defensive plays (couple poke checks, blocked a shot). He made several nice passes and had two decent scoring chances himself in the final minutes of the third. Thumbs up for game one.
Pelosi was just OK. He mostly played center and got PK time but nothing on the PP (Team Blue had more firepower than White though). He had a nice power move to the net and a sneaky hard backhand shot at one point but not too much else. I believe he had a secondary assist though. One qualm: he had a few instances where he just threw the puck to no one in defensive zone...he's going to need to make smarter plays if he's going to make the bottom 6.
Kostadinski was a healthy scratch. Sweden supposedly ran into equipment troubles due to travel issues...not sure if that is why he didn't play or not.
Better day 2 for Pelosi. He was very good at the faceoff dot. He made a couple nice defensive plays. He got quite a bit of PK time (including as the lone forward on a 3v4). He had two good scoring chances in the slot (one got blocked though because he waited too long to shoot). He made a couple nice passes to teammates.
Hendrickson seemingly got promoted to the top line (was listed on the 3rd line yesterday; Pelosi was 3C both days). He rewarded the coach with a nice primary assist on a goal :08 into the game. Overall maybe he was half notch below yesterday's play but still made some nice passes. He also used his speed & effort to win a few races to pucks. The thing that stands out is he is always looking to make plays when the puck is on his stick (and most of the time, he makes the right play).
No Kostadinski again today.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Better day 2 for Pelosi. He was very good at the faceoff dot. He made a couple nice defensive plays. He got quite a bit of PK time (including as the lone forward on a 3v4). He had two good scoring chances in the slot (one got blocked though because he waited too long to shoot). He made a couple nice passes to teammates.
Hendrickson seemingly got promoted to the top line (was listed on the 3rd line yesterday; Pelosi was 3C both days). He rewarded the coach with a nice primary assist on a goal :08 into the game. Overall maybe he was half notch below yesterday's play but still made some nice passes. He also used his speed & effort to win a few races to pucks. The thing that stands out is he is always looking to make plays when the puck is on his stick (and most of the time, he makes the right play).
No Kostadinski again today.
Thanks for sharing. Would love to see both players make the team. Do they have a good chance?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Tyler Bozak

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad