Confirmed with Link: Travis Konecny Signs Eight Year Extension ($8.75M AAV w/ Six Years of NMC and 2 Years of M-NTC)

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
They were 8th in xGF% (5x5 SVA) last season, 13th in xGF/60, 7th in xGA/60.
PP was piss poor, that's the biggest problem, Michkov will obviously help there.
Goalies were piss poor, Ersson/Fedotov get a shot, then in a couple years, the young goalies.
They are not a good team. These young goalies you speak of have a very long way to go. Carson will never sniff the NHL imo. The Russian who the hell knows as eating up lower completion is great. Doesn't mean it will translate to success at the NHL level.

Maybe the goalies being piss poor is because well they are not that good. That is possible right?

Still the same coach on the PP. It has to get better in theory and with MM. How much is the question. Would you have kept Rocky or fired him?

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
The contract isn't bad if this was maybe a team with a chance to win but this team is garbage and will remain garbage for most of this contract. I do like The Neck though so I'm not super mad because I guess I'll get to watch at least a couple players I like when they lose 40+ games a year for the next few years.
You really still doing this "the neck" thingy? No one ever calls him that.....

Konecny wanted to be here badly, he has deep ties to the franchise and the players. He wants security for 6 years in a NMC and is a worse player than other players with the same contract. The flyers have had a lot of leverage. They used ZERO!

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
They dont have to sell. They need to make better management decisions with who they hire to run the team.

My thought process devolved into this last night, and basically:

Since Snider died, Comcast has just looked at Spectacor and said "OK, we need business people to handle the arena/land/promotions dealings and the hockey guys will take care of themselves."

And "the hockey guys" were essentially Clarkie and Homer as the de facto liassions to Scott and Camillo in the Hextall->Fletcher times. Then I think corporate realized it had turned to a trainwreck last spring and finally had to ask them to remove Fletcher and told Scott and Camillo to step down. That department had already probably been on probation anyway, what with the whole "hire a consulting firm to find a coach because we're tired of paying millions to coaches who don't work here" thing.

So they bring in their new clueless corporate goof in Hilferty, tell Clarke and Homer it's time to step back (whether that means anything) and "the hockey guys" just shift to the next-closest ex-player apparatchiks in the building. So we get a "triumvirate" likely with a loose mandate to "get this department making money like it used to!!!" without a clear power structure and a corporate boss who is just kinda taking their advice for everything (once again) and it's just the same goofy shit. No accountability or vision, just a bunch of Comcast middle management.

So, I mean, they need to build a clear, structured hierarchy and have a senior Actual Hockey Person from outside the camp at the top of it. The club's interests and the arena/promotions management need to be handled with the same seriousness by separate people who are on equal footing.

Right now, the person who intrigues me the most is Jones. He's the one who needs to assert himself at some point. Briere seems over his head, and Torts is a strong personality who might have the upper hand on him. Jones needs to make determinations and be willing to fire Briere in the next 2-3 years if Danny doesn't start pulling miracles out of his ass. Michkov hits that ice and the clock starts to tick, you cannot f*** around and waste time with a potential franchise player on your hands. And I don't think Jones has the nuts to do that--because if he doesn't, there's really no one above him who will know that it's time to fire him.

Last edited:

TheMrPace

Oct 25, 2011
What if next season goes really bad, does anyone thinks Briere can somehow pull off a Richards/Carter and deal Konecny before his no trade kicks in?

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

Since Snider died, Comcast has just looked at Spectacor and said "OK, we need business people to handle the arena/land/promotions dealings and the hockey guys will take care of themselves."

And "the hockey guys" were essentially Clarkie and Homer as the de facto liassions to Scott and Camillo in the Hextall->Fletcher times. Then I think corporate realized it had turned to a trainwreck last spring and finally had to ask them to remove Fletcher and told Scott and Camillo to step down. That department had already probably been on probation anyway, what with the whole "hire a consulting firm to find a coach because we're tired of paying millions to coaches who don't work here" thing.

So they bring in their new clueless corporate goof in Hilferty, tell Clarke and Homer it's time to step back (whether that means anything) and "the hockey guys" just shift to the next-closest ex-player apparatchiks in the building. So we get a "triumvirate" likely with a loose mandate to "get this department making money like it used to!!!" without a clear power structure and a corporate boss who is just kinda taking their advice for everything (once again) and it's just the same goofy shit. No accountability or vision, just a bunch of Comcast middle management.

So, I mean, they need to build a clear, structured hierarchy and have a senior Actual Hockey Person from outside the camp at the top of it. The club's interests and the arena/promotions management need to be handled with the same seriousness by separate people who are on equal footing.

Right now, the person who intrigues me the most is Jones. He's the one who needs to assert himself at some point. Briere seems over his head, and Torts is a strong personality who might have the upper hand on him. Jones needs to make determinations and be willing to fire Briere in the next 2-3 years if Danny doesn't start pulling miracles out of his ass. Michkov hits that ice and the clock starts to tick, you cannot f*** around and waste time with a potential franchise player on your hands. And I don't think Jones has the nuts to do that--because if he doesn't, there's really no one above him who will know that it's time to fire him.
hahaa Jones fire DB ?

zing...

the only one doing any firing will be Emporer Torts..

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

Good post.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Briere is over his head? Got (2) 1sts and (2) 2nds for Provorov and some cap room.
Got rid of TDA for a 5th and Rizzo.
Moved out Hayes, had to retain but got a 6th, didn't have to pay to dump him.
Hathaway only 30+ player added.

Gauthier? I'll wait for more details to come out. Note that he grew up in Arizona. Even worse he's a Pens fan. Drysdale and high 2nd probably best he could get (especially if Gauthier insisted on trade to West Coast).

Laughton. Probably the one mistake, though I doubt they were ever offered a 1st and 2nd, given his value, that would have only been in context of a much larger deal. Actual trade value is probably high 2nd (i.e. late 1st with value going the other direction).

Seeler, more value as Drysdale's (and maybe Bonk) caddy if only offered a 4th.

Risto, stuck with that salary, didn't panic and package picks to move him out.

Deslauriers, now past NTC, I expect he'll be quietly moved at some point, was benched 2nd half of last season.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Briere is over his head? Got (2) 1sts and (2) 2nds for Provorov and some cap room.
Got rid of TDA for a 5th and Rizzo.
Moved out Hayes, had to retain but got a 6th, didn't have to pay to dump him.
Hathaway only 30+ player added.

Gauthier? I'll wait for more details to come out. Note that he grew up in Arizona. Even worse he's a Pens fan. Drysdale and high 2nd probably best he could get (especially if Gauthier insisted on trade to West Coast).

Laughton. Probably the one mistake, though I doubt they were ever offered a 1st and 2nd, given his value, that would have only been in context of a much larger deal. Actual trade value is probably high 2nd (i.e. late 1st with value going the other direction).

Seeler, more value as Drysdale's (and maybe Bonk) caddy if only offered a 4th.

Risto, stuck with that salary, didn't panic and package picks to move him out.

Deslauriers, now past NTC, I expect he'll be quietly moved at some point, was benched 2nd half of last season.

You do not need any details for Cutter. The Flyers had an opportunity to sign him. They didn't. They phucked up. Why need to defend everything no matter how obvious it is they are bad at their job? Any proof or link the JD deal was the best he could do? They had complete tunnel vision with that trade.

Also took on 2 years of dead cap with the Ivan trade. Also added 2 years of RYJO. You left those 2 important pieces out.

Well you can doubt all you like in regard to Laughton. Bottom line is he should have been moved. What will your stance be when he is re-signed next summer is what I am looking forward too.

Risto he didnt pancic. No one wants him even with sweeteners or incentives. He is damaged goods until proven otherwise.

ND will be quietly moved. To where? No one wants that turd.

GH was no need to give an ext.

Hayes and Tony D you are giving kudo to. Good stuff. Carolina felt sorry for Danny so they gave up a guy they had zero intention on signing. Danny also allowed the coach to tank the value of their only all star representative last season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Said cap room was part of Provorov deals - that's what it's there for - instead of signing FAs for rebuilding team.

Carolina had deal in place for Rizzo, they didn't "feel sorry," they wanted to maintain credibility, using the league to get out of the deal is bad form, given the low cost.

ND will have value to some team that thinks it needs an "enforcer."

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Said cap room was part of Provorov deals - that's what it's there for - instead of signing FAs for rebuilding team.

Carolina had deal in place for Rizzo, they didn't "feel sorry," they wanted to maintain credibility, using the league to get out of the deal is bad form, given the low cost.

ND will have value to some team that thinks it needs an "enforcer."
Any proof the had a deal for Rizzo as I remember reading it was well known he was gonna go the free agent route while with Carolina.

You are delusional with ND.

Where is the cap space as they took on 2 bad contracts counting against the cap. What am I missing here?

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

My view is that the pieces of the FO need to be put into its proper places and kept there. My experience is that committees and collegiality never works. It leads to back room wheeling, dealing and back stabbing until someone comes out on top and cans everyone else. Ask Julius Caesar how that worked out for him.
Hilferty is a corporate guy whose job is to link the Flyers to other businesses in the area for sales of various types. That's fine. Do it and stick to that. Hes's done that well in the past in various positions. Keep him away from the on ice operations as much as possible.
Jones is the president of hockey operations. Fine; oversee the activities dealing with the on ice product and the media. Make the hires/fires that need to be down in LHV and Reading. When necessary intervene with major decisions with the Flyers but otherwise allow the gM to do his job.
Briere's job should primarily deal with personnel matters obtaining and jettisoning players from the NHL level down to the drafting of prospects. Hire/fire coaches and scouts.
The major problem in the organization is that these guys dont' stick to their own lanes. Because of that, they've allowed a cancer into the franchise who will attempt to run the show. Tortorella's influence has been all over the Flyers in every way since the moment that he showed up in town. He will not stick to running of the on ice team. It will not happen. It's why Jarmo put him on ice and refused to re-sign him in Columbus. Jones had best watch his back because there is no doubt in my mind that Torts wants the PHO job. With the naiveté that currently exists in the FO, he may well get it. Watch him to push for a FO job in the future come late winter. He will not go into that fourth year of his contract without an extension of some sort.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Given how badly Jarmo screwed up CBJ which collapsed once Torts left, . . .

I think they have a well defined division of labor.
Hilferty is the corporate guy, handling Comcast relations and marketing.
Jones is running the organization and is the primary face of the team.
Briere is the GM.
Torts is less involved with personnel decisions outside the playing roster than say AV.

Where "consensus" comes in is they have a coherent plan, may not be the right plan, but it's built around getting younger and faster and playing an up tempo style.
They value speed, IQ and work ethic, but aren't chained to those preferences.
This isn't a Holmgren v Hextall situation where they weren't on the same page.

Luchanko was a gamble, he has top speed, high IQ, NHL body, question is how much offensive skill?
But they also lusted for Michkov b/c he could be an elite scorer.

If you're slow, you'd better be smart (Couts, Cates, Foerster), if you're small, be quick and skilled (TK, Brink, Drysdale), if you're big and fast, we'll be patient (Tippett).

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You really still doing this "the neck" thingy? No one ever calls him that.....

Konecny wanted to be here badly, he has deep ties to the franchise and the players. He wants security for 6 years in a NMC and is a worse player than other players with the same contract. The flyers have had a lot of leverage. They used ZERO!
I mean capfriendly is no more so idk who the comparables but he's making $5.5 million now I think? I don't think that contract was bad and he got a couple million raise. He's like a PPG player on another team but he's surrounded by shit here. I think the contract is about where it should be. Probably could have been a little less but also could see him getting more on the open market. The biggest issue is just thay we should have traded him to get more assets and stock the cupboards. I suppose they can still trade him now but I doubt they will.

Reactions: Larry44
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Reinhart is a better player and got less per year. Same with Larkin, Hellebuyck, Forsberg, Draisaitl, Scheifele, Zib, Suzuki, the list keeps going. This is going to come back and bite this team in the ass sooner than later.
Players are going to play for less than market playing for a team as good as Florida. I don’t think the 2 contracts are comparable. The 6 year no movement clause is a major problem. SNG thought that was the price to keep it under 9. If that was the case this deal should not have been done this soon. There was still plenty of time to hash things out.
I get they probably wanted to get it done before the season started but this kind of seemed rushed to me.

Boocowski

Mar 31, 2024
What if next season goes really bad, does anyone thinks Briere can somehow pull off a Richards/Carter and deal Konecny before his no trade kicks in?
His NTC works the other way. It's a full NTC for the first 6 years and then becomes a limited deal. I suppose they put that in in case either he or they still suck in 6 years and need to do a new tear down.
He wanted to be here, he is here, it's a little overpaid but not too overpaid with an increasing cap. Let's hope he earns it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's a little less than Guentzel, given a cap discount (his contract starts a year later with the cap 5% higher, and starts at age 28 not 30). TK has actually scored a tad bit more per 60 at 5x5 the last three years, Guentzel more on the PP.

However, when you take their centers into account . . .

Reactions: renberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad