Confirmed with Link: Travis Konecny Signs Eight Year Extension ($8.75M AAV w/ Six Years of NMC and 2 Years of M-NTC)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I was told Ghost was a 1st pair D-man, b/c Arizona used him as such.
Then he went to Carolina and Detroit and was used as a 3rd pair D-man.

Drysdale needs work on his defense, and has to stay healthy, but he has the raw talent to be a dynamic offensive defenseman. But I don't think he can stay healthy if you play him 22+ minutes a night.
I was told Ghost was bad because he was waived.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Sure, but the alternative would be to have a long term plan. And since we don't seem to have that I rather keep the few good players we have to make the on-ice product more enjoyable.
I get that but to think that foundation of the rebuild could/should have been Michkov, Gauthier and Buium, and after three years is just Michkov, is utterly inept. You should watch Zayne Parehk’s reaction to the Luchenko pick. You can say who cares, but he actually plays and defends against him in the OHL, so to me it carries weight.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Exactly. Even if we wanted to trade him, we need a decent return, otherwise what's the point? Just trade him to make the team worse and hope for that elusive 1st OA pick to magically fix everything? Even without TK this team won't be bad enough to outtank the real crap teams in the league.
Honestly agree with this, Michkov is going to be a super star, they’ll need a few more draft prospects to hit but Michkov kind of saved us, even if the organization didn’t really deserve it. Nothing we can do now just pray it works out, they weren’t getting 1OA even if they traded him

Reactions: TCTC

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I get that but to think that foundation of the rebuild could/should have been Michkov, Gauthier and Buium, and after three years is just Michkov, is utterly inept. You should watch Zayne Parehk’s reaction to the Luchenko pick. You can say who cares, but he actually plays and defends against him in the OHL, so to me it carries weight.
When it came down to Dickinson or Buium being available, I felt like we won the lottery. There's no way San Jose could turn down having Buium with Celebrini - one of the great first rounds in recent memory. But SJ took Dickinson and we won the Buium lottery.

Now, I don't want to hear about his agent being a problem. IF you are an NHL GM and you think you have a problem with an agent, it's time for lunch to discuss it. IF the Flyers messed up with Cutter, it's a matter of apologizing and getting over it. To pass on a potential #1D with such a track record of success for a maybe on a promising kid with 2C upside because of an agent is a firing offense. Plain and simple.

Last edited:

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I was told Ghost was bad because he was waived.
Even Amac was waived and he would be a perfect vet to play with someone like Drysdale. So being waived isn't a testament on how bad a certain player is. Need to take circumstances into consideration too.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Buium’s agent is also Farabee’s. Along with Walker and Johansen. They tried to sign Walker after the Gauthier situation. They acquired Johansen so he can sit home and collect a paycheck. I’m not sure what you can take away from this mixed bag.

The agent angle is not the simplest explanation. The simplest explanation is they made an evaluation call — and we can judge them on that — along with admitting they wanted to draft a center.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Buium’s agent is also Farabee’s. Along with Walker and Johansen. They tried to sign Walker after the Gauthier situation. They acquired Johansen so he can sit home and collect a paycheck. I’m not sure what you can take away from this mixed bag.

The agent angle is not the simplest explanation. The simplest explanation is they made an evaluation call — and we can judge them on that — along with admitting they wanted to draft a center.
Anyone want to bet on Farabee being traded?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Yep. They said it was pretty even.
Come back in a couple years and we'll know if they were right or wrong.

Scarcity does matter when evaluating prospects, QBs get drafted higher b/c it's harder to find a starting QB than say a starting CB or DT. Now truly elite players are positionless, but very good isn't the same as elite and much easier to find.

In the NHL, it seems the hardest position to fill is top 6 center, so true center prospects (i.e. not a Gauthier) should be valued higher.

Play making LHDs are more common than they were a decade ago as the rules allow smaller players to thrive.

So if they thought Buium was in the same tier with Lachanko, it was the right decision, especially when you bring over Michkov and have a gapping hole at center.

Of course, it depends on whether their judgement is correct and he's a rising star who'll break out this season, and not a middle six good forechecker with average offensive skills.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002

I think this is probably it. I mean, they have Andrae, York and Drysdale. It's just depressing.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017

Scarcity does matter when evaluating prospects, QBs get drafted higher b/c it's harder to find a starting QB than say a starting CB or DT. Now truly elite players are positionless, but very good isn't the same as elite and much easier to find.

In the NHL, it seems the hardest position to fill is top 6 center, so true center prospects (i.e. not a Gauthier) should be valued higher.

Play making LHDs are more common than they were a decade ago as the rules allow smaller players to thrive.

So if they thought Buium was in the same tier with Lachanko, it was the right decision, especially when you bring over Michkov and have a gapping hole at center.

Of course, it depends on whether their judgement is correct and he's a rising star who'll break out this season, and not a middle six good forechecker with average offensive skills.
This is the gripe though. The consensus was very simply that Buium > Luchanko. Floor, best bet and ceiling. Yet they chose organizational depth over BPA.

Let’s not kid ourselves. They have holes across the board. Yet they went for an inferior center prospect due to perceived need when, spoiler alert, they needed help at all positions.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Like I said before, Zayne Parehk is not the last word on Luchenko, but he does play against him in the OHL and . . . yeah.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

gonna be funny when Jett ends up on the wing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is the gripe though. The consensus was very simply that Buium > Luchanko. Floor, best bet and ceiling. Yet they chose organizational depth over BPA.

Let’s not kid ourselves. They have holes across the board. Yet they went for an inferior center prospect due to perceived need when, spoiler alert, they needed help at all positions.
They shouldn't follow the consensus, b/c that guarantees mediocrity.
They should follow their board.

Now whether they're good at player evaluation will be revealed over the next couple years, but if you're going to follow the consensus, just fire all your scouts and get an AI program to aggregate all the "consensus" opinions.

Buium was the 6th D-man picked, which suggests NHL teams see some flaws that are more likely to be exposed at higher levels. It's not 20 years ago, teams love offensive D-men these days. Doesn't mean they're right, just that he wasn't a slam dunk or he'd have gone in the top 5.

Luchanko was a late riser, but wasn't going to get much past #15, with at least two teams prepared to take him. He's got the perfect skill set for today's NHL, but whether he can translate those skills to the ice remains to be seen.

If they were just picking for position, they should have taken Helenius, who's a pretty safe bet to be a 2C down the road.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
They shouldn't follow the consensus, b/c that guarantees mediocrity.
They should follow their board.

Now whether they're good at player evaluation will be revealed over the next couple years, but if you're going to follow the consensus, just fire all your scouts and get an AI program to aggregate all the "consensus" opinions.

Buium was the 6th D-man picked, which suggests NHL teams see some flaws that are more likely to be exposed at higher levels. It's not 20 years ago, teams love offensive D-men these days. Doesn't mean they're right, just that he wasn't a slam dunk or he'd have gone in the top 5.

Luchanko was a late riser, but wasn't going to get much past #15, with at least two teams prepared to take him. He's got the perfect skill set for today's NHL, but whether he can translate those skills to the ice remains to be seen.

If they were just picking for position, they should have taken Helenius, who's a pretty safe bet to be a 2C down the road.
How are you telling people to ignore consensus but also right after telling us Buium fell because the consensus of other teams made him the 6th picked d-man? Which is it, does consensus matter or not?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad