LD Noah Hanifin (2015, 5th, CAR) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Yep since he signed his ELC, he is no longer eligible to play college hockey.

So it's either NHL or AHL. And I assume it's gonna be 99,9% NHL, I don't think Hanifin would have leave the college to play in the AHL... but if he struggles at the beginning of the season (which I don't think will happen), he is eligible to be sent to the AHL.

You can add Fleury to the D group you've named, I think he'll be a decent defenseman in the league one day!

And personally, I would have take Hanifin over both Marner and Strome, I think he'll have a bigger impact in the league than those two in the future.

Ah I see. Totally forgot about fleury.. Another smooth skater to add to their backend. I think he may have a bigger impact of he reaches his full upside. From why I've read he seems like he can be Duncan Keith like in the transition from defense to offense. He may not ever be as agile as Keith but I'd say they're similar in some ways. If the leafs picked hanifin I wouldn't of been upset at all though, only players I didn't want at 4 were anyone outside of hanifin and marner

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He's going to have a monster rookie season. Ekblad-like

Allthough there's lot to like, that sort of thinking is more likely to lead into disappointment than vise versa. If he stabilises position in the line up alone on the post draft year that's a very good accomplishement alone.

Dec 30, 2013
Allthough there's lot to like, that sort of thinking is more likely to lead into disappointment than vise versa. If he stabilises position in the line up alone on the post draft year that's a very good accomplishement alone.

Bobby Orr 2.0 or bust

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
Did anyone see the Canes game last night? I am a big fan of Hanifin and was looking for a fair assessment of how he looked in preseason?

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Did anyone see the Canes game last night? I am a big fan of Hanifin and was looking for a fair assessment of how he looked in preseason?

Didn't see the game but he has 1 assist and finished with -1 versus an offensive force that was on fire, so not bad. 23:01 of icetime, played 2:21 on the PP and 5:12 on the PK. 2 shots, 1 hit, 2 blockshots, 2 takeaways.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
All the streams were very choppy, so really hard to tell how he did. It was a men against boys scenario in that game though, so no matter what, I wouldn't put too much stock into it. Pens had almost all their fire-power (Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist, Kunitz, Letang, Maata, etc..) and a ton of NHL experience on the ice. Canes were missing their top line, only had 2 guys on D with ANY NHL experience and only 5 guys with > 82 games experience.

Pens are a far superior team even when both teams are at full strength, but this was a particularly bad mis-match based on the players iced.

Bridgeman

Mar 1, 2013
Tampa FL

Cardiac Cane
@CardiacCane 3h
Hanifin logged 23:02 of ice time with an assist, 2 blocked shots, 2 takeaways, 2:21 of PP time & 5:12 of SH time, was a -1 in debut.
View details

Not a bad start playing against Crosby Kessel line in his first NHL competition! I know its early but the kid is going to be a very very good player..

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hanifin had an assist in his first preseason game and three assists in his second game. I'm pretty confident he'll start the season in the NHL.

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
Hanifin had an assist in his first preseason game and three assists in his second game. I'm pretty confident he'll start the season in the NHL.

I went to the Canes and Islanders preseason game in Halifax, and the most impressive player on the ice by far to me was Hanifin. He played like Carolina's #1 dman, his skating is impressive, and he makes really hard, accurate passes. He's able to skate out of trouble and make surprise passes. I was amazed.

Brandel*

I went to the Canes and Islanders preseason game in Halifax, and the most impressive player on the ice by far to me was Hanifin. He played like Carolina's #1 dman, his skating is impressive, and he makes really hard, accurate passes. He's able to skate out of trouble and make surprise passes. I was amazed.

Jeff Skinner was much better but yeah Hanifin looked really good. Didn't realize there was even a chance he wouldn't make the team. He should be in the Canes top 4 from opening day.

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
Jeff Skinner was much better but yeah Hanifin looked really good. Didn't realize there was even a chance he wouldn't make the team. He should be in the Canes top 4 from opening day.

Skinner did score 3 goals, but one was in 3 on 3 OT, when there shouldnt have been one (automatic 3 on 3s in preseason for practice). One goal, he was in the right place in the right time, the other was similar. He was definitely impressive, but i expected to be impressed by him. Hanifin on the other hand, i couldnt believe this kid is 18/19. His puck poise is off the charts, and to me, he was the #1 dman in this game, even over Faulk

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Considering he will do the roster (because I really think he will play 82 games, if he stays healthy!), what would be honest expectations for him? In terms of points, icetime, etc.?

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Weird. All I've heard from TSN and sportscentre, was that Hanifin was struggling to adapt

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
I find it hard to believe that TSN/sportscentre would watch a Hurricanes preseason game.

GhostofS16*

It's pre-season

It's pre-season. Let me know when the regular season starts. That goes for McDavid and Eichel as well.

Yeah, Hanifin has looked great but let's take a chill pill on glorifying the pre-season.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's pre-season. Let me know when the regular season starts. That goes for McDavid and Eichel as well.

Yeah, Hanifin has looked great but let's take a chill pill on glorifying the pre-season.

Well, right now pre-season is all we have to make assessments on and people are giving their feedback on what they saw. I don't think anybody needs to take a chill pill, as nobody is overly gushing about the guy, nor proclaiming anything other than he'll likely get an NHL roster spot. They are just commenting on what they've seen to date. His first ever NHL game he went up against a very loaded Pens team and from the parts I saw, he played ok, given the circumstances. Very few saw his 2nd game as it wasn't televised, so thankfully, one of the posters above was at the game and able so share his insights.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006

No ones bragging him up here. Only refuting previous poster's claim that Hanifin is struggling, which no one else has observed. Canes coaching staff has been happy with his play so far and expect him to make the team. He is a rookie and has made a few rookie mistakes, which is to be expected, but otherwise seems strong and capable enough to grab a roll on the team.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
It must be Craig Button running around startling those rumors:yo:

Wouldn't be surprised, it seemed to be because of him that people started questioning Noah leading up to the draft around here, the whole Jbo 2.0 thing.

Kids going to be amazing.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Don't like it if he spends the full year in the NHL.

He should spend at least a half season in the AHL since that is an option. He wasn't DOMINATING at the College level last year.

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Don't like it if he spends the full year in the NHL.

He should spend at least a half season in the AHL since that is an option. He wasn't DOMINATING at the College level last year.

The Canes will tank anyway, so it's gonna be a season of learning without pressure for Hanifin, which could be a good thing after all!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad