LD Noah Hanifin (2015, 5th, CAR) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
IDK, I hope Carolina doesn't rush Hanifin. If he struggles in anyway he should go down to the AHL. If you can't trust him with more then 12-15min a night the he should go down to the AHL.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Personally I'd have him in the AHL, but that's just because I prefer to have young defensemen overripen.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Going to Carolina will do that to someone.

It causes people to hate him less, no doubt. Imagine if he went to Toronto.

IDK, I hope Carolina doesn't rush Hanifin. If he struggles in anyway he should go down to the AHL. If you can't trust him with more then 12-15min a night the he should go down to the AHL.

12-15 minutes a night is essentially 3rd pairing minutes, and there's no way that he wouldn't get used to NHL minutes and bodies in that time. I argue that 15 minutes a night in the NHL is worlds better for his development than 22-25 minutes on the top pair in the AHL.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Although I think he should've stayed at BC for another year just to get stronger, I don't think he's going to struggle too much. At every level he's been at he's taken about 2-3 months to get acclimated, and then he's become a stalwart. He was BC's #1 defenseman by the end of the year ahead of Matheson and McCoshen. I say that having watched 20+ BC games last year. Don't include Santini in that statement because he was hurt most of the year and never got fully back up to speed.

As long as he comes in too Carolina with another 5-10lbs, he's going to be fine. His instincts are and game accumen are off the charts. He already thinks the game at an NHL speed. Just a matter of being physically ready.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hanifin is NHL bound 100% I assume?

Yeah. He could spend a chunk of time in the AHL I suppose but I'd expect him to play most of his games in the NHL. It's not like he has to beat out anyone good.

I think they'll roll with something like:

Hainsey-Faulk
Hanifin-Wisniewski
Liles-Murphy
Michal Jordan as the #7 swapping in and out with one of those bottom pairing guys.

Who knows, maybe if Hanifin is stellar he could move up with Faulk.

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Yeah. He could spend a chunk of time in the AHL I suppose but I'd expect him to play most of his games in the NHL. It's not like he has to beat out anyone good.

I think they'll roll with something like:

Hainsey-Faulk
Hanifin-Wisniewski
Liles-Murphy
Michal Jordan as the #7 swapping in and out with one of those bottom pairing guys.

Who knows, maybe if Hanifin is stellar he could move up with Faulk.

I'd do this straight from the start, they'll be the #1 pair for the Canes for the next 10 years, let's build that chemistry now.

dwanmaster*

I'd do this straight from the start, they'll be the #1 pair for the Canes for the next 10 years, let's build that chemistry now.

Nahhh let him play with Wisnewski for a couple months. Might bring out something good in Wiz's play.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC

Hopefully they are the top pair for a long time but can you throw Hanifin into the fire right away? Probably not.

Wisniewski played with another elite D prospect in Ryan Murray during his rookie season and they made a good second pairing. Wiz put up over 50 points. Hanifin could learn a bit by being the stabilizing presence on a pairing with him before moving up to play with Faulk.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Ghost town.. Since hanifin signed an NHL contract it's either NHL or ahl for him correct? I'd assume it's NHL for him.

Carolina's defense seems to be shaping up quite nicely, Faulk, Murphy, now hanifin. Pretty incredible group to build around from the backend. After marner hanifin was the guy I wanted, ahead of strome even. Would've loved to have both of them as Rielly and hanifin would make for a pretty stud pairing in the future.. I know for most leaf fans, if marner was off the board hanifin was our guy, and vise versa.

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Ghost town.. Since hanifin signed an NHL contract it's either NHL or ahl for him correct? I'd assume it's NHL for him.

Carolina's defense seems to be shaping up quite nicely, Faulk, Murphy, now hanifin. Pretty incredible group to build around from the backend. After marner hanifin was the guy I wanted, ahead of strome even. Would've loved to have both of them as Rielly and hanifin would make for a pretty stud pairing in the future.. I know for most leaf fans, if marner was off the board hanifin was our guy, and vise versa.

Yep since he signed his ELC, he is no longer eligible to play college hockey.

So it's either NHL or AHL. And I assume it's gonna be 99,9% NHL, I don't think Hanifin would have leave the college to play in the AHL... but if he struggles at the beginning of the season (which I don't think will happen), he is eligible to be sent to the AHL.

You can add Fleury to the D group you've named, I think he'll be a decent defenseman in the league one day!

And personally, I would have take Hanifin over both Marner and Strome, I think he'll have a bigger impact in the league than those two in the future.

Dec 30, 2013

If I remember correctly, his contract pays him the minimum in the AHL. So, I really don't think he is worried about spending a lot of time down there.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I'd be surprised if he's playing big minutes in the NHL successfully from the get go. I think another year at BC would have been good for him but I'd rather see him in the AHL than playing a bit part in the NHL. Carolina will probably stink again this year anyway so I don't see what the rush is to get him in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad