LD Noah Hanifin (2015, 5th, CAR) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Looks like a rookie out there at times and not seeing the wow factor which was talked about before the draft

but if he has the desire to improve he can... some of these guys don't develop an offensive game until 21-23 and his skating definitely helps

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Looks like a rookie out there at times and not seeing the wow factor which was talked about before the draft

There isn't a ton of wow factor with him. He always makes smart, safe plays. There was one play where it got passed into his skates right at the blueline and he confidently played it forward with a kick to his stick and walked the line. He's just a very solid, quiet type of player.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
There isn't a ton of wow factor with him. He always makes smart, safe plays. There was one play where it got passed into his skates right at the blueline and he confidently played it forward with a kick to his stick and walked the line. He's just a very solid, quiet type of player.

Yep. If you're expecting some flash and dash like Subban or Karlsson, you're going to be disappointed.

This doesn't mean he cannot be effective offensively as well. Absolutely not comparing him to these guys, but Bourque and Lidström some how managed to pot tons of points despite not regularly making "wow" moments.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yep. If you're expecting some flash and dash like Subban or Karlsson, you're going to be disappointed.

This doesn't mean he cannot be effective offensively as well. Absolutely not comparing him to these guys, but Bourque and Lidström some how managed to pot tons of points despite not regularly making "wow" moments.
More likely he ends up like a Pietriangelo or Boumeester than Bourque or Lidstom. Both very valuable, big, smooth skating top pairing guys. Don't think he has the offensive upside to ever lead D in points.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Played quite well last night, very poised with the puck and has great escapability. Had a few intelligent shut down moments defensively too. And of course, I'm always a fan of his skating.

I do recall near the end of the 3rd he was extremely soft during a race to the puck with Sheahan, and he got easily beaten for a scoring chance against, BUT that was at the end of a rather superb shift in the o-zone. Only his 2nd game, so I'm not worried at all.

He looks extremely good otherwise. I know he has an extra gear.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
The major way that Hanifin has surprised me is how unaffected he is by what's going on around him. The moment is never too big for him. A lot of the times with rookies, things like bouncing pucks and being forced to make geometric passes off the boards are scary as hell. The pulse never seems to get too high with him and he projects as a guy that's going to be able to play a ton of minutes because his elite skating allows him to not have to work as hard to get out of trouble.

Regarding his offensive upside, it's a little hard to tell right now. I like his instincts and raw skill, but it's not hard to see he's taking 100% of the high percentage plays right now. He's moving the puck to the right places and not doing things his skill would probably allow him to do like gain zone entries and try to make something happen by joining the rush. Don't get me wrong, 25 minutes a night of that kind of play is SO hard to find in the NHL these days but how much offense can you really create that way? It remains to be seen. I think in the second half of the season is where you'll really see Carolina take off the leash and we'll get an idea of how much is Noah's natural instincts to play a mistake free game and how much was Carolina trying to make sure he understands how to play that game first before he starts trying to get cute. But when he does decide to turn on the offensive jets? Boy, howdy. He can really whip the puck around. Very skilled puckhandler and he handles it just as well at speed which is rare. His floor is so incredibly high. He will unquestionably be a 3rd defenseman at absolute minimum. There's too much skill, speed, smarts and size to be anything less.

I think it would be fair to talk about upside and where he stands among some of the more explosive risk takers. I think guys looking for the sexier game were going to favor Provorov for his ability to make your jaw drop. The way his stock cooled around the draft reminded me a lot of what happened to Seth Jones and Cam Fowler. There just wasn't enough explosive tape on those guys doing absurd things and as a result teams deemed them to be limited in some ways. Teams drafting in the Top 3 usually want that wow factor that these guys didn't have. But when you look back at some of the guys who were in the conversation with them you will realize that the low floor players weren't as limited as you thought. I think Hanifin is going to be similar.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Very skilled puckhandler and he handles it just as well at speed which is rare. His floor is so incredibly high. He will unquestionably be a 3rd defenseman at absolute minimum. There's too much skill, speed, smarts and size to be anything less.

Yeah, well, Craig Button doesn't think so. :sarcasm:

I agree with all that you said. One will look at him and his skill set and expect him to be rushing his zone entries or doing too much with the puck. He's playing his game really safe right now, but shows flashes of his brilliance while doing so. His play has intrigued me thus far.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
His ceiling is sickening. If he developed an offensive game, along with his defensive game developing in an upward trend with age, your talking about an elite dman

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
He's 18....always an incredible feat to play defense in the NHL at that age. #1 D in 2 - 4 years.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
The major way that Hanifin has surprised me is how unaffected he is by what's going on around him. The moment is never too big for him. A lot of the times with rookies, things like bouncing pucks and being forced to make geometric passes off the boards are scary as hell. The pulse never seems to get too high with him and he projects as a guy that's going to be able to play a ton of minutes because his elite skating allows him to not have to work as hard to get out of trouble.

To paraphrase a comment on here from a year or two ago: the guy looks like he could be smoking a cigarette while defending his zone.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Seems like he's playing a lot tonight and playing well.

He's easily our 2nd best D by miles. Which is scary bad for us again. Wiz getting hurt really but the hurt on us.

Hainsey shouldn't be with Faulk on the 1st pair, it's only been 3 games, but I would go ahead and put him with Faulk and use Liles to buffer his time a little before cementing him in.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Does anyone have, or know where I can find a video/gif of Hanifin carrying the puck end to end from tonight's game late in the third period? Murphy is also a great skater and can carry the puck, but he gets ahead of himself and once he's in the offensive zone he'll sometimes just force a play that isn't there, causing him to lose the puck. After carrying the puck tonight, Hanifin made a smart pass and didn't try to force anything like the aforementioned. Hopefully that continues. Exemplifies the difference in their "hockey IQ".

His skating is just absolutely incredible. It really showed a flash of his potential and as he continues to gain confidence it will be a treat to watch.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's easily our 2nd best D by miles. Which is scary bad for us again. Wiz getting hurt really but the hurt on us.

Hainsey shouldn't be with Faulk on the 1st pair, it's only been 3 games, but I would go ahead and put him with Faulk and use Liles to buffer his time a little before cementing him in.

Great to know. I always have had a very high regard for Noah Hanifin. At #5 I believe Carolina got themselves a stud of a player for years to come. I would have taken him at #3 overall last draft in my rankings.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Does anyone have, or know where I can find a video/gif of Hanifin carrying the puck end to end from tonight's game late in the third period? Murphy is also a great skater and can carry the puck, but he gets ahead of himself and once he's in the offensive zone he'll sometimes just force a play that isn't there, causing him to lose the puck. After carrying the puck tonight, Hanifin made a smart pass and didn't try to force anything like the aforementioned.

Yeah it was a great rush, shaking off two defending players and as you mentioned laying a safe pass over to the right winger after entering the zone. Saw an opportunity and went for it. He's learning each game and the confidence is increasing.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas

Regarding his offensive upside, it's a little hard to tell right now. I like his instincts and raw skill, but it's not hard to see he's taking 100% of the high percentage plays right now. He's moving the puck to the right places and not doing things his skill would probably allow him to do like gain zone entries and try to make something happen by joining the rush. Don't get me wrong, 25 minutes a night of that kind of play is SO hard to find in the NHL these days but how much offense can you really create that way? It remains to be seen. I think in the second half of the season is where you'll really see Carolina take off the leash and we'll get an idea of how much is Noah's natural instincts to play a mistake free game and how much was Carolina trying to make sure he understands how to play that game first before he starts trying to get cute. But when he does decide to turn on the offensive jets? Boy, howdy. He can really whip the puck around. Very skilled puckhandler and he handles it just as well at speed which is rare. His floor is so incredibly high. He will unquestionably be a 3rd defenseman at absolute minimum. There's too much skill, speed, smarts and size to be anything less.

I think it would be fair to talk about upside and where he stands among some of the more explosive risk takers. I think guys looking for the sexier game were going to favor Provorov for his ability to make your jaw drop. The way his stock cooled around the draft reminded me a lot of what happened to Seth Jones and Cam Fowler. There just wasn't enough explosive tape on those guys doing absurd things and as a result teams deemed them to be limited in some ways. Teams drafting in the Top 3 usually want that wow factor that these guys didn't have. But when you look back at some of the guys who were in the conversation with them you will realize that the low floor players weren't as limited as you thought. I think Hanifin is going to be similar.

In regards to Fowler, you're wrong. Teams passed on him (for example, the Rangers selecting McIlrath prior to Fowler) because they were concerned with his size and defensive capabilities. If anything, Fowler's offensive exploits were what kept him as a top-15 draft pick. His rookie year stats (10g + 30a = 40 pts in 76 gp) is evidence of this.

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
He is an healthy scratch tonight. Weird move as most people said he was one of the best Canes dmen since the beginning of the season... so what's up!? Just a game off to watch the system from an outside view!? Or he did something wrong?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad