LD Andrew Nielsen (2015, 65th, TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I watched him briefly watched in a game a week and a half ago. Wanted to see more, but couldn't watch the entire game. But as stated then, he was moving better than I recall him from Training Camp. If he can continue to improve his mobility I think he can be better than Dermott who is a higher profile a pick for the Leafs.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Happy to see guys like Dermot/Neilsen able to graduate next year - let them earn the AHL mins. I think they will. The philosophy of Dubas will start next year with the graduating prospects and ECHL development.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Happy to see guys like Dermot/Neilsen able to graduate next year - let them earn the AHL mins. I think they will. The philosophy of Dubas will start next year with the graduating prospects and ECHL development.

The difference for me in the 2 is I don't think Dermott has progressed as well as Nielsen has this year. Where one prospect has taken a good step fwd, the other has stayed where they are.

IMO Nielsen is the Leafs 2nd best prospect from last summer's draft. Button posted the same thing after I posted this before his rankings came out.

I think Nielsen as a prospect has gone under the radar since training camp.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
The difference for me in the 2 is I don't think Dermott has progressed as well as Nielsen has this year. Where one prospect has taken a good step fwd, the other has stayed where they are.

IMO Nielsen is the Leafs 2nd best prospect from last summer's draft. Button posted the same thing after I posted this before his rankings came out.

I think Nielsen as a prospect has gone under the radar since training camp.

Progressing as well as Nielsen is a bit of a high bar to set, don't you think? Seeing as how he went from a walk-on the previous season to one of the best defensemen in the league.

If Dermott made a similar jump, he'd be at 1.5PPG and +50.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
why did this guy drop to 3rd round?? lack of his production in his draft year?? guy is producing like crazy this year!

Scouts have flaws too:D Look at Phillipe Myers, undrafted last year, had 8 points in 60 games, now has 36 in 52

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yup, he's a 96-born meaning his ELC will start regardless of whether he returns to junior (where he would be considered an overager) or turns pro.

Not true. He's eligible to play in the AHL next year but his contract will slide as long as he doesn't play more than 9 NHL games. Ryan Pulock is an example. His contract slid last season despite turning pro.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/ryan_pulock

snizzbone*

Last year was also Nielsen's first year of major junior. He was playing Midget before. Late bloomer.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not true. He's eligible to play in the AHL next year but his contract will slide as long as he doesn't play more than 9 NHL games. Ryan Pulock is an example. His contract slid last season despite turning pro.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/ryan_pulock
Not sure, its a bit more complex, I think he has to of signed his ELC before his 19th birthday. Nielsen and Timashov signed theirs post birthday, so I could be wrong (and hope to be).

If an 18 or 19-year-old* player signs an entry-level contract but doesn’t play in at least ten games in the first season of that contract, the terms** and number of years are automatically extended one year — effectively "sliding" the contract.

This automatic extension doesn’t apply for players who turn 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year they sign their contract.

Second Slide: If an 18-year-old player (at the time of contract signing) has his contract slide and then doesn’t play in at least ten games in the second season either, his contract will slide again.

**Contract Terms: The player’s base salary "slides" in all cases. Signing bonuses do not slide, but a team and player can agree to contrary terms regarding games played bonuses and performance bonuses. This is not common though

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Looks like the next wave of D prospects (Dermott, Nielsen, Valiev, etc) may be a slight upgrade over the previous group (Percy, Finn, Granberg, etc). Hopefully one of these guys can break out and become a stud, we could really use it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Not sure, its a bit more complex, I think he has to of signed his ELC before his 19th birthday. Nielsen and Timashov signed theirs post birthday, so I could be wrong (and hope to be).
Anthony Mantha signed his contract when he was 19. His contract slid.
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/anthony_mantha

While technically Mantha and Nielson weren't 18 when they signed contracts in hockey terms I believe they consider/considered them 18 year olds due to the late birthday.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Hope to see him in the AHL next year as I go to way more Marlies games vs Leafs games. Gonna be interesting to see whether the Marlies are pretty much gutted going into next year. Some decisions need to be made on guys like Loov and Percy.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Anthony Mantha signed his contract when he was 19. His contract slid.
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/anthony_mantha

While technically Mantha and Nielson weren't 18 when they signed contracts in hockey terms I believe they consider/considered them 18 year olds due to the late birthday.
Hope your right (and it seems you are), CBA wording can be annoying to figure out how to interpret it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad