LD Andrew Nielsen (2015, 65th, TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's not that elite defensively. I'd say more like Jack Johnson

He's a bit bigger...and the funny thing is I don't think he's quite as bad as Jack Johnson was defensively. I think he was a bit overrated though.

It's tough to think of a comparable off hand though.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
One thing that really stood out to me midway through training camp this year was when Babcock was asked how excited he is about some of the prospects.. I assumed he'd immediately talk about Marner or Willy, etc. But first name out of his mouth was Nielsen and he really praised his decision making.

He followed that praise up with a dominant WHL season. I'm not ruling this guy out as a top 4 D.

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
I don't like any of the comparisons being tossed around. I don't think he's all that similar to Phaneuf and surely not Jack Johnson, either.

As a combination of style/potential I would say a currently poor man's version Jake Muzzin, with the potential to end up that good in the end. Mattias Ekholm would also be another good comparison.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Who's a good comparison for him ?

I hope people do not take this as a negative because I have been on Nielsen's fanwagon as early as September of last year. But he sort of reminds me of a Keith Aulie with a much better shot and better passing ability.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I hope people do not take this as a negative because I have been on Nielsen's fanwagon as early as September of last year. But he sort of reminds me of a Keith Aulie with a much better shot and better passing ability.

In all seriousness this is closer to what I was expecting to hear then Shea Weber and jack Johnson.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Are you serious with this post?
Fairly old post and way over the top. Sanheim's numbers are way more impressive when you look deeper at them. He's killing Nielsen in primary points per game, and is ahead in primary ES primary points per game and looking at them Provorov looks the most impressive stats wise. I really like what Nielsen brings and skill set, but the only reason to take him over either is he's a right shot, and that would be a pretty dumb reason.

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
Fairly old post and way over the top. Sanheim's numbers are way more impressive when you look deeper at them. He's killing Nielsen in primary points per game, and is ahead in primary ES primary points per game and looking at them Provorov looks the most impressive stats wise. I really like what Nielsen brings and skill set, but the only reason to take him over either is he's a right shot, and that would be a pretty dumb reason.

I hate how it's all so numbers/stats driven. Coaching/system/team really drives those numbers. Just watching them play, it's not even close to be comparing them. That quote was brought up on the flyers board and it's honestly not that dated (earlier this season). I just have to say wow.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto

Hes a lefty :)

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Not a negative at all. Aulie could have been a very good player, he just didn't offer enough. I'll take an Aulie who can move the puck and shoot, that sounds like an NHLer to me. Maybe nothing more than a third pairing player, but there's nothing wrong with that when taking a draft year+1 3rd rounder.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

But if you look at what teams they play for, what Sanheim is doing is crazy.

Nielson is 1 point over a PPG. Lethbridge has scored 289 goals
Provorov is 9 points over a PPG. Brandon has scored 296 goals

Sanheim is 12 points over a PPG. Calgary has scored only 224 goals!

So both Nielson and Provorov benefit from playing on teams that score almost a goal per game more than Calgary. What Sanheim is doing is remarkable.

But Nielson is having a great year no doubt. Nice to see players get drafted BEFORE they breakout and then reap the rewards of it. Only these 3 guys and Hicketts are over a PPG for Dmen. Good company for sure.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
I hate how it's all so numbers/stats driven. Coaching/system/team really drives those numbers. Just watching them play, it's not even close to be comparing them. That quote was brought up on the flyers board and it's honestly not that dated (earlier this season). I just have to say wow.

Go through that posters history. He exclusively makes outlandish statements (to make leaf fans look bad imo).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
But if you look at what teams they play for, what Sanheim is doing is crazy.

Nielson is 1 point over a PPG. Lethbridge has scored 289 goals
Provorov is 9 points over a PPG. Brandon has scored 296 goals

Sanheim is 12 points over a PPG. Calgary has scored only 224 goals!

So both Nielson and Provorov benefit from playing on teams that score almost a goal per game more than Calgary. What Sanheim is doing is remarkable.

But Nielson is having a great year no doubt. Nice to see players get drafted BEFORE they breakout and then reap the rewards of it. Only these 3 guys and Hicketts are over a PPG for Dmen. Good company for sure.
Its impressive, just that his numbers are more power-play driven than Provorov. Provorov has a .404 ES primary pts per game, Sanheim is .348 and Nielsen is at .273. Factoring this and the eye test, I'd say Provorov is by far the best WHL defensive prospect. Sanheim is also a tier or two above Nielsen.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
He was excellent at the developmental camp this past week.

Future 2nd pairing NHL defenceman.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
To this day he still reminds me of a young Dion Phaneuf. Can't wait to see him on the Marlies this year. If they send him back, at least it's Lethbridge. They should be S playoff team again.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
To this day he still reminds me of a young Dion Phaneuf. Can't wait to see him on the Marlies this year. If they send him back, at least it's Lethbridge. They should be S playoff team again.

I still get Weber vibes from him. Monster shot and size, not afraid to use the body. Moves the puck well too and for a guy his size, can skate too. If he continues to work with Barb, sky's the limit for him.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
His upward trajectory is nuts, from AA to AAA to WHL 0.4 ppg to WHL ppg. Hard not to see this guy in the NHL soon - he's got the size and nastiness that NHL teams drool over, and his WHL stats suggest that he's not going to be a one dimensional guy.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
His upward trajectory is nuts, from AA to AAA to WHL 0.4 ppg to WHL ppg. Hard not to see this guy in the NHL soon - he's got the size and nastiness that NHL teams drool over, and his WHL stats suggest that he's not going to be a one dimensional guy.

I've only watched him a handful of times is this actually a staple of his play?

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
to this day he still reminds me of a young dion phaneuf. Can't wait to see him on the marlies this year. if they send him back, at least it's lethbridge. They should be s playoff team again.

we promise nothing

whlscowt

I've only watched him a handful of times is this actually a staple of his play?

Yep. And as much of a Calgary Hitmen fan as I am, he deserved the First team all-star nod ahead of Sanheim, in part because he is so emerged in all facets of the game when he plays. He doesn't shy away from anything.

From a fantasy perspective if your league tracks hits, pims, blocked shots, on top of the usuals, he's a guy I've been advising people to stash away in deeper keeper leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad