LD Andrew Nielsen (2015, 65th, TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
Its impressive, just that his numbers are more power-play driven than Provorov. Provorov has a .404 ES primary pts per game, Sanheim is .348 and Nielsen is at .273. Factoring this and the eye test, I'd say Provorov is by far the best WHL defensive prospect. Sanheim is also a tier or two above Nielsen.
Doesn't seem that way to me when I attend games.
Not a negative at all. Aulie could have been a very good player, he just didn't offer enough. I'll take an Aulie who can move the puck and shoot, that sounds like an NHLer to me. Maybe nothing more than a third pairing player, but there's nothing wrong with that when taking a draft year+1 3rd rounder.

There is very little similarity to Aulie. That poster must be confusing him with somebody else.:dunno:

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
Andrews shot from the point will be a bonus for Toronto as will his physical play. Looks like he's under the radar, rare for a Leaf prospect but nice to see.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He has an absolute cannon from the point from what I have seen. Hoping he could really exceed expectations and give us a solid 2nd pairing option at some point.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Thats why he said ONE of the reasons and not THE reason.

Though have a d-man progress from undrafted walk-on to top-4 in the league (not nessesarily as a prospect, as a player in the WHL) from one year the next certainly could be a BIG reason :D

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
Sounds like Andrew had a strong rookie camp. Not surprised, his improvement has been remarkably steady since he broke into the WHL.
Wonder what his ceiling is.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am pretty sure I posted about liking him early on in this thread based on what I saw in the preseason last year. I have not seen him play since this spring in a WHL game for Lethbridge. Haven't seen any of the rookie tournament games, but I would not be surprised if he has progressed. I think I had him pegged as a #2 pairing D man if he hits his ceiling.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I am pretty sure I posted about liking him early on in this thread based on what I saw in the preseason last year. I have not seen him play since this spring in a WHL game for Lethbridge. Haven't seen any of the rookie tournament games, but I would not be surprised if he has progressed. I think I had him pegged as a #2 pairing D man if he hits his ceiling.
I didn't see the rookie games, but many who have, have said he was arguably the most impressive player. Will be interesting to see what he can do on the Marlies.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

He was the best player in every game he played.

Extremely impressive. Sound defensive game, still has a cannon of a shot, skating concerns seem overblown. Looked fine to me.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
He started playing hockey later than most other players which is why he's not rated higher but honestly I think his ceiling is a #1-#2 dman. He's a Shea Weber clone. Same game, same tools, same style. Big, hard hitting, defensively sound dman with a cannon of a shot and naturally a smart hockey player.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
He was the best player in every game he played.

Extremely impressive. Sound defensive game, still has a cannon of a shot, skating concerns seem overblown. Looked fine to me.

I think questions about his skating are misplaced at this team. His edgework looked A level to me.

He started playing hockey later than most other players which is why he's not rated higher but honestly I think his ceiling is a #1-#2 dman. He's a Shea Weber clone. Same game, same tools, same style. Big, hard hitting, defensively sound dman with a cannon of a shot and naturally a smart hockey player.

That's the literal best case possible scenario. 5% chance of that happening. Obviously lots of prospects have comparables, and the overwhelming majority don't live up to them.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
He's a lot more skilled then I thought he would be. I knew he had the booming one-timer; but he handles the puck really well and made some skill plays.

Ramboshaw

Apr 9, 2012
Meadow Lake, SK
He was probably one of the three best in prospect camp. Definitely made a strong impact. I got a Mike Green vibe from watching him play. If he tops out as Mike Green that is a heck of a 3rd round pick.

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com
Steady 2 way D w/ a mean streak.

If he turns out to be a solid 2nd pairing that would be awesome.

Let Zaitsev & Rielly do their thing.

Hopefully Valiev/Dermott & Nielsen can work some chemistry w/ Marlies.

They'll have plenty of time, coaching & support.

Cool D prospects. :)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Not a negative at all. Aulie could have been a very good player, he just didn't offer enough. I'll take an Aulie who can move the puck and shoot, that sounds like an NHLer to me. Maybe nothing more than a third pairing player, but there's nothing wrong with that when taking a draft year+1 3rd rounder.

He was drafted his first time around, not a draft+1 player. Last year was his draft+1 year. He's like a month older then Dermott, a month younger than Timashov.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He was drafted his first time around, not a draft+1 player. Last year was his draft+1 year. He's like a month older then Dermott, a month younger than Timashov.

Am I mixing him up with someone else? coulda sworn he was passed on the first time around.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Am I mixing him up with someone else? coulda sworn he was passed on the first time around.

I was gonna say not sure but then the other guys mentioned Desrocher so probably him. I've heard Nielsen on here a few times now that Nielsen was drafted as a draft overager(draft+1), and I'm not sure where that stems from. Maybe an assumption because he's a late bloomer IDK.

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
What I like about Nielsen is he's got good hockey sense.

So you have a player with size, grit, and good hockey sense. Those are 3 of the 4 main ingredients to have a truly formidable defenceman. His skating needs some work no doubt.

Interesting how people are on here calling him an over-ager, or saying his numbers were grossly inflated because his team was good. These things simply aren't true, and although Nielsen has a long way to go, those whispers that he might be the next Parayko aren't unfounded.

Looks like the "Leaves" got their scouting system in order. Some great prospects coming up in that organization.

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
Hows he been in training camp? Also what should we expect from him next year top pairing on the marlies maybe a few nhl call ups in case of injuries?

Mad Brills*

Wouldn't shock me if he gets a cup of coffee in the bigs this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad