LD Andrew Nielsen (2015, 65th, TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Saw probably 75% of the 2 games vs the Moose. Nielsen offensively looked good, he is capable of making smart quick passes on the cycle or during a zone exit. His shot is obviously a rocket, it was a hard shot on net that was tipped by Froese to get his assist on Saturday. He doesn't force things offensively and only takes shots when needed.

Defensively, he seems fairly responsible in his positioning, to help ease him in though, we have paired him with the Marlies captain and veteran AHLer Andrew Campbell. My two biggest worries from what I've seen are these. Firstly, his skating needs to improve, its not horrendous, but adding some explosiveness and lower body strength will not only help his skating but help him win board battles. My second worry is when behind his own net he can make mistakes. In game one he had a mix-up with Bibeau (mostly on Bibeau), that almost led to a shorthanded goal while trying to play the puck out. The second one he was sloppy in possession trying to leave the puck for Campbell to pick up, but ended up being retrieved by the Moose's forward for a high-quality scoring chance. He has the skills to be a top 4 or even top pairing guy if he can iron out his issues, but how susceptible he can be to a strong forecheck is a bit worrisome. It will be interesting to see how he adapts, as he was originally drafted as a defensive guy.

Compared to the Marlies other 1st year defenceman, Dermott, he probably has the higher ceiling, but Dermott appears to have the higher floor. Dermott is able to avoid pressure and get the puck out while being very smart with his passing and positioning. It will be interesting to track these two all year.

Good write-up. Thanks for that, yeah I'm not surprised skating is an area he needs to work on. Luckily, with some effort in the off-season he should be able to improve in that area. Should be an interesting comparison with Dermott as you mentioned through the year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Good write-up. Thanks for that, yeah I'm not surprised skating is an area he needs to work on. Luckily, with some effort in the off-season he should be able to improve in that area. Should be an interesting comparison with Dermott as you mentioned through the year.
Didn't see the whole Marlies game tonight, so I can't give a detailed report but he scored a OT GWG on the PP. The kid is showing a hell of a lot offensively for a guy we though was drafted for defence.

Mad Brills*

Wouldn't shock me if he gets a cup of coffee post deadline this year.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I kinda doubt the Leafs bring up the kids from the Marlies unless the Leafs are in an injury situation.

Possibly a few games in March when teams are allowed 5 call ups, but really I'm sure Leaf/Marlies management will keep the team together for hopefully a long playoff run.

Nielsen will have to improve his skating in order to to be long term NHLer. When you're "slow", it takes away "thinking" time to make the a good play. But that is why there is the minor leagues for teenagers and guys in their young twenties.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I kinda doubt the Leafs bring up the kids from the Marlies unless the Leafs are in an injury situation.

Possibly a few games in March when teams are allowed 5 call ups, but really I'm sure Leaf/Marlies management will keep the team together for hopefully a long playoff run.

Nielsen will have to improve his skating in order to to be long term NHLer. When you're "slow", it takes away "thinking" time to make the a good play. But that is why there is the minor leagues for teenagers and guys in their young twenties.

the marlies are 2nd last in their division keeping them together isn't really necessary. This is the year to try these kids out playoffs or not because next year is going to come with a lot more pressure to make the playoffs than this one, and Kapanen and Leipsic are ready and in Leipsics case needs waivers next year I don't want another Corrado/Leivo situation of wasting away in the press box try them this year if babs doesn't like him ship him out

edit: Nielsen though I am happy if he stays with the Marlies all season as much as I dislike our bottom pairing that is no reason to rush what looks like a very good future dman for us

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
the marlies are 2nd last in their division keeping them together isn't really necessary. This is the year to try these kids out playoffs or not because next year is going to come with a lot more pressure to make the playoffs than this one, and Kapanen and Leipsic are ready and in Leipsics case needs waivers next year I don't want another Corrado/Leivo situation of wasting away in the press box try them this year if babs doesn't like him ship him out

edit: Nielsen though I am happy if he stays with the Marlies all season as much as I dislike our bottom pairing that is no reason to rush what looks like a very good future dman for us

Agree with this - I think Komarov & Bozak are expendable regardless of our playoff hopes this year (provided that Nylander can play centre) so I'm fine with dealing them and opening up a couple of roster spots for the kids to get a look - Leipsic has more than enough AHL time, and Kapanen has plenty too. Rychel couldn't hurt to see if he looks like Ryan Clowe or Tyler Biggs against NHL competition too

In turn that opens up scoring line minutes for Timashov & Johnsson on the Marlies

Nielsen & Dermott can stay down for at least the rest of this year, give Dermott a chance to make the team as a bottom pairing guy out of camp if he looks good

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Watched part of the game on Sunday against Albany to catch up on Nielsen since my initial post on him in this thread was over 1.5 years ago. Wanted to see where his progression was as a player.

The good things that will help him make the NHL one day, he moves the puck quickly, he has good reach, where he uses his stick well. He also shows a good ability to control his spacing, otherwise known as gap control. These will all aid him when and if he makes the NHL.

The things that would concern me on what kind of impact he will have in the NHL are no doubt his skating at the NHL level. It is passable at the AHL level; however, he needs to work on his quickness. I did notice once in this game when he lost his balance, he was not quick to recover. His starts are awkward, but once he is moving, he is fine out there.

Still a very raw package. It will be interesting to see where he stands next year. I think he is moving in the right direction, but probably is a longer range prospect than a shorter term one.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Watched part of the game on Sunday against Albany to catch up on Nielsen since my initial post on him in this thread was over 1.5 years ago. Wanted to see where his progression was as a player.

The good things that will help him make the NHL one day, he moves the puck quickly, he has good reach, where he uses his stick well. He also shows a good ability to control his spacing, otherwise known as gap control. These will all aid him when and if he makes the NHL.

The things that would concern me on what kind of impact he will have in the NHL are no doubt his skating at the NHL level. It is passable at the AHL level; however, he needs to work on his quickness. I did notice once in this game when he lost his balance, he was not quick to recover. His starts are awkward, but once he is moving, he is fine out there.

Still a very raw package. It will be interesting to see where he stands next year. I think he is moving in the right direction, but probably is a longer range prospect than a shorter term one.

That seems to be the general consensus from Leaf board posters who watch him regularly - some very nice raw tools and impressive offensively, skating - specifically transitions as offensive players try to move the puck around him outside - is a concern. High ceiling with questions marks, it's gonna be a while before we know anything

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto

This is a very good assessment. His game in the neutral zone "currently" leaves a lot to be desired. Once he is set up in either the O/D zone's he seems to operate very efficiently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad