LD Andrew Nielsen (2015, 65th, TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

scan15*

May 11, 2016
GTA
From the small sample size of games I've seen, he seems to have a problem with taking bad penalties.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
3 points in the first AHL game of the year. Kind of funny that we have such a good prospect flying under the radar.

I said it months ago he's way better than Dermott.

Nielsen will be in the NHL at some point and play for a long time.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I said it months ago he's way better than Dermott.

Nielsen will be in the NHL at some point and play for a long time.
Dermott is extremely smooth. I would say Nielsen has the higher ceiling at the moment, but I think Dermott is safer and still projects as a solid top 4 guy.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Dermott is extremely smooth. I would say Nielsen has the higher ceiling at the moment, but I think Dermott is safer and still projects as a solid top 4 guy.

He's not way better than Dermott though; you could argue better, but not way better.

With Nielsen's size and skill, I think he's a regular in your lineup before Dermott. I'm very high on Nielsen, he's legit.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I think Nielsen has legitimate number 1 upside. He's just so intelligent at what he does, and I've noticed improvements in his skating. Once he gets fully going with Barb, we could have another 1D-2D on our hands. Would love for him to anchor the 2nd pairing with Zaitsev. Two cannon shots, good, intelligent puck movers, and if he improves skating; incredibly mobile.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
1g 2a 3pts 2gp.
According to the stats from the 1st 2 games Andrew seems to be adapting nicely to the pro game, at least offensively.
Anyone tuning into Marlie games that can summarize his defensive play so far?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
1g 2a 3pts 2gp.
According to the stats from the 1st 2 games Andrew seems to be adapting nicely to the pro game, at least offensively.
Anyone tuning into Marlie games that can summarize his defensive play so far?

I haven't actually seen any play (other than highlights) but everything I've read makes it sound like he's excelling - big, nasty, intelligent, handles the puck well and makes good passes.

He's billed as having a cannon slapshot, but seeing the highlights it looks like his wrist shot might be the better weapon - gets alot on it, very accurate and he can sidestep a defender before he shoots to open a lane to the net

Looking very good for a 3rd round pick that no one liked on draft day....lets hope the same thing happens with Middleton

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
I haven't actually seen any play (other than highlights) but everything I've read makes it sound like he's excelling - big, nasty, intelligent, handles the puck well and makes good passes.

He's billed as having a cannon slapshot, but seeing the highlights it looks like his wrist shot might be the better weapon - gets alot on it, very accurate and he can sidestep a defender before he shoots to open a lane to the net

Looking very good for a 3rd round pick that no one liked on draft day....lets hope the same thing happens with Middleton

Excellent thank you.
Sounds like his strengths in junior are remaining strengths in the pro's. It will be great if he doesn't have to simplify things too much to make it. He could become the total package defenseman the Leafs need.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Excellent thank you.
Sounds like his strengths in junior are remaining strengths in the pro's. It will be great if he doesn't have to simplify things too much to make it. He could become the total package defenseman the Leafs need.

His mobility has been questioned, I haven't really noticed it when watching him though. For the leafs, I think if you can pick which weakness a prospect has, skating is a good one because our training staff is excellent on that front

Other than that, he looks very good to me, potential steal. JD Greenway is another one that we might scratch our heads about how far he fell

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The awesome thing right now as a fan of the Leafs is even with the mass addition of youth this year to the Leafs, the Marlies still have a bunch of really exciting players. I watched most of both Marlies games this weekend primarily to watch Kapanen, Nielsen and Dermott.

As for Greenway, he seems to be off to a good start at Wisconsin. I'm hoping the Big 10 network picks up some of his games once conference play starts.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The awesome thing right now as a fan of the Leafs is even with the mass addition of youth this year to the Leafs, the Marlies still have a bunch of really exciting players. I watched most of both Marlies games this weekend primarily to watch Kapanen, Nielsen and Dermott.

As for Greenway, he seems to be off to a good start at Wisconsin. I'm hoping the Big 10 network picks up some of his games once conference play starts.

If you're able to follow the Marlies closely (I assume you are, you're one of the most knowledgable posters around here), can you give an update on him after the Rochester and Manitoba games through the weekend? He's off to a great start as I assumed he would be.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If you're able to follow the Marlies closely (I assume you are, you're one of the most knowledgable posters around here), can you give an update on him after the Rochester and Manitoba games through the weekend? He's off to a great start as I assumed he would be.
Haha, thanks for the compliment. If I catch both games I will, not sure if they overlap with anything else I'm trying to watch. Luckily due to the demand for hockey content here, Leafs TV picks up pretty much every Marlies game.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Haha, thanks for the compliment. If I catch both games I will, not sure if they overlap with anything else I'm trying to watch. Luckily due to the demand for hockey content here, Leafs TV picks up pretty much every Marlies game.

That's good, if you are able to I would read your thoughts on it. As I've mentioned to you before, I follow all the WHL top Dmen closely on top of my team. We don't get Marlies games out west, I'd appreciate your write up on it if you're able to.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That's good, if you are able to I would read your thoughts on it. As I've mentioned to you before, I follow all the WHL top Dmen closely on top of my team. We don't get Marlies games out west, I'd appreciate your write up on it if you're able to.
Just checked, doesn't seem the Rochester game is being aired (a disappointment, I wanted to get a glimpse of little Nylander in pro-hockey), I will be able to watch the Moose game.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Just checked, doesn't seem the Rochester game is being aired (a disappointment, I wanted to get a glimpse of little Nylander in pro-hockey), I will be able to watch the Moose game.

Too bad, yeah definitely throw a write up in here for the Moose games.

One thing he does need to cut down on going forward, he can take some dumb penalties at times. Hopefully he cleans it up a bit as he gets older.

Is he on the PP unit for the Marlies? He's got a deadly shot from the point.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Too bad, yeah definitely throw a write up in here for the Moose games.

One thing he does need to cut down on going forward, he can take some dumb penalties at times. Hopefully he cleans it up a bit as he gets older.

Is he on the PP unit for the Marlies? He's got a deadly shot from the point.
Yeah, he's been getting used as the trigger-man on the PP. Marlies are pretty stacked, so they tend to really spread the ice-time out. But the top 4 right now on D seems to consists of Andrew Campbell (veteran AHL leader), Valiev, Dermott and Nielsen.I can't believe Leafs tv is airing a Blackhawks/Leafs game from the 50's over the Rochester game.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah, he's been getting used as the trigger-man on the PP. Marlies are pretty stacked, so they tend to really spread the ice-time out. But the top 4 right now on D seems to consists of Andrew Campbell (veteran AHL leader), Valiev, Dermott and Nielsen.I can't believe Leafs tv is airing a Blackhawks/Leafs game from the 50's over the Rochester game.

:laugh:

Seems odd, especially for a rebuilding team where lots of those guys on the Marlies will be key players down the road. Anyways, look forward to your write up on Nielsen after the Moose games :).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Saw probably 75% of the 2 games vs the Moose. Nielsen offensively looked good, he is capable of making smart quick passes on the cycle or during a zone exit. His shot is obviously a rocket, it was a hard shot on net that was tipped by Froese to get his assist on Saturday. He doesn't force things offensively and only takes shots when needed.

Defensively, he seems fairly responsible in his positioning, to help ease him in though, we have paired him with the Marlies captain and veteran AHLer Andrew Campbell. My two biggest worries from what I've seen are these. Firstly, his skating needs to improve, its not horrendous, but adding some explosiveness and lower body strength will not only help his skating but help him win board battles. My second worry is when behind his own net he can make mistakes. In game one he had a mix-up with Bibeau (mostly on Bibeau), that almost led to a shorthanded goal while trying to play the puck out. The second one he was sloppy in possession trying to leave the puck for Campbell to pick up, but ended up being retrieved by the Moose's forward for a high-quality scoring chance. He has the skills to be a top 4 or even top pairing guy if he can iron out his issues, but how susceptible he can be to a strong forecheck is a bit worrisome. It will be interesting to see how he adapts, as he was originally drafted as a defensive guy.

Compared to the Marlies other 1st year defenceman, Dermott, he probably has the higher ceiling, but Dermott appears to have the higher floor. Dermott is able to avoid pressure and get the puck out while being very smart with his passing and positioning. It will be interesting to track these two all year.

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Saw probably 75% of the 2 games vs the Moose. Nielsen offensively looked good, he is capable of making smart quick passes on the cycle or during a zone exit. His shot is obviously a rocket, it was a hard shot on net that was tipped by Froese to get his assist on Saturday. He doesn't force things offensively and only takes shots when needed.

Defensively, he seems fairly responsible in his positioning, to help ease him in though, we have paired him with the Marlies captain and veteran NHLer Andrew Campbell. My two biggest worries from what I've seen are these. Firstly, his skating needs to improve, its not horrendous, but adding some explosiveness and lower body strength will not only help his skating but help him win board battles. My second worry is when behind his own net he can make mistakes. In game one he had a mix-up with Bibeau (mostly on Bibeau), that almost led to a shorthanded goal while trying to play the puck out. The second one he was sloppy in possession trying to leave the puck for Campbell to pick up, but ended up being retrieved by the Moose's forward for a high-quality scoring chance. He has the skills to be a top 4 or even top pairing guy if he can iron out his issues, but how susceptible he can be to a strong forecheck is a bit worrisome. It will be interesting to see how he adapts, as he was originally drafted as a defensive guy.

Compared to the Marlies other 1st year defenceman, Dermott, he probably has the higher ceiling, but Dermott appears to have the higher floor. Dermott is able to avoid pressure and get the puck out while being very smart with his passing and positioning. It will be interesting to track these two all year.

Good write-up.

I was at the game today and came away impressed with Nielsen. It was my first time seeing him live (watched him online quite a bit since the Leafs drafted him).

I'll admit I was not happy with the pick at the time but he is progressing solidly.

Hopefully he keeps it up.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011

Defensively, he seems fairly responsible in his positioning, to help ease him in though, we have paired him with the Marlies captain and veteran AHLer Andrew Campbell. My two biggest worries from what I've seen are these. Firstly, his skating needs to improve, its not horrendous, but adding some explosiveness and lower body strength will not only help his skating but help him win board battles. My second worry is when behind his own net he can make mistakes. In game one he had a mix-up with Bibeau (mostly on Bibeau), that almost led to a shorthanded goal while trying to play the puck out. The second one he was sloppy in possession trying to leave the puck for Campbell to pick up, but ended up being retrieved by the Moose's forward for a high-quality scoring chance. He has the skills to be a top 4 or even top pairing guy if he can iron out his issues, but how susceptible he can be to a strong forecheck is a bit worrisome. It will be interesting to see how he adapts, as he was originally drafted as a defensive guy.

Would love to hear a similar analysis on Valiev!!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Would love to hear a similar analysis on Valiev!!
Valiev was hit and miss this weekend in my eyes. Most notable thing I saw was him get into a fight. I'll try to do this after the next batch of Marlies games and keep a close eye on Valiev.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Good write-up.

I was at the game today and came away impressed with Nielsen. It was my first time seeing him live (watched him online quite a bit since the Leafs drafted him).

I'll admit I was not happy with the pick at the time but he is progressing solidly.

Hopefully he keeps it up.

Interesting.
The results of my watching him in junior got me hoping the Leafs would take him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad