LD Andrew Nielsen (2015, 65th, TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
His game is not near Sanheim's at the moment and they are the same age. The end of Sanheim's draft year had everyone in the Western League's eyes popping out of their head, don't let his 29 pts in that year fool you... he became an absolute force that got exponentially better as that year went on. Not saying Nielsen is bad at all, but no need to compare him to Sanheim at the moment, lots of players get pts in juniors.. it is how they are getting them that you have to observe..

Not comparing his play to Sanheim just saying that his own progression in his own play has looked similar to Sanheim's. He was worse than Sanheim to begin with and still worse but production wise seems to have gotten much better in a short amount of time like Sanheim. That's all im comparing

figure

Nov 19, 2015
West Coast
His game is not near Sanheim's at the moment and they are the same age. The end of Sanheim's draft year had everyone in the Western League's eyes popping out of their head, don't let his 29 pts in that year fool you... he became an absolute force that got exponentially better as that year went on. Not saying Nielsen is bad at all, but no need to compare him to Sanheim at the moment, lots of players get pts in juniors.. it is how they are getting them that you have to observe..

Did you mean to say his game is not near Sanheim's when they were the same age? Sanheim was drafted a year before Nielsen.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think what he means is that they are both born in the same year (1996). Nielsen has a late birthday so his draft year was a year later.

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
3 assists today including the gwg

Now sitting at 9g 34a 43p in 38 games, 5 points more than the 2nd leading defenceman in the WHL. After a slow November he's really starting to heat up, with 18 points in 13 games since December 1st. 7 game point streak with 12 points during that span. If he maintains this pace til the end of the season he might have 70+ points (needs 27 points in the last 34 games) :amazed:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
3 assists today including the gwg

Now sitting at 9g 34a 43p in 38 games, 5 points more than the 2nd leading defenceman in the WHL. After a slow November he's really starting to heat up, with 18 points in 13 games since December 1st. 7 game point streak with 12 points during that span. If he maintains this pace til the end of the season he might have 70+ points :amazed:
Crazy production for a guy who just cracked the WHL last year and was drafted to be a potential shutdown guy. Really excited about him and Timoshov being on the Marlies next year.

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
Does anyone who watches lethbridge have an updated scouting report on him? I know nothing other then some pretty good stats

I do as a matter of fact. I have been going to all the home games for the hurricanes. He is looking very solid. a top 2 defense men on any team in the whl without a doubt. I haven't been focused on him, but more on the team as a whole. The hurricanes have taken a complete 180 degree turn. Nielsen has good vision on the power play. He makes solid passes but doesn't do anything flashy. He gets the job done on the blue line. He skates well and has a good shot. Thats all I got guys hope this helps, you have a good d man coming your way leafs.

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
wrap up from hurricanes 5-2 win over swift current. nielsen a +4 with 1 assist tonight. nothing to complain about from that performance

jackstar

Oct 17, 2011
He plays a very simple, smart game. I have noticed the last few games that he has been jumping up in the rush, carrying the puck into the offensive zone, and trying to make moved around guys which I did not notice him doing earlier. Rarely is caught out of position. An all round solid defenseman who is developing a nice offensive game as well. Could be a big steal of a pick.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
He's outscoring Ivan Provorov in the WHL.

Nielsen is on pace for 75+ points as a 19 year old defenceman in the WHL.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Should have at least been invited to the WJC camp, but that's typical closed minded Hockey Canada for you, they take their pets from the U17 and U18 like Hicketts over the most talented players in the present.

I have no doubt that Neilsen would have been better than the likes of Hicketts, Fleury, Sanheim, Hickey, McKeown on that team. Chabot and Dermott were the only dmen who performed well.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
True, but I don't think Nielsen is, or at least at the time he was drafted, known for his offence either. Could hit 80 points this year in the dub though

Looked at elite prospects and all indications pointed him as being a physical fighting dman.

A brutish, big-bodied defenseman that has the size, willingness to give up the body, and physical maturity to make a difference on the ice. Establishes an imposing presence when bearing down on opposing players; does not allow any time or space, and can cause turnovers easily. Has a good eye and is able to make crisp, accurate passes to teammates; also possesses a hard shot. While his skating could be improved, he isn't immobile and can get around the ice post haste. All-in-all, a physical two-way defender who establishes pressure on the opposition and can also provide offensive support. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015) - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=131262#sthash.LJACQAL1.dpuf

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
Should have at least been invited to the WJC camp, but that's typical closed minded Hockey Canada for you, they take their pets from the U17 and U18 like Hicketts over the most talented players in the present.

I have no doubt that Neilsen would have been better than the likes of Hicketts, Fleury, Sanheim, Hickey, McKeown on that team. Chabot and Dermott were the only dmen who performed well.

Better than sanheim?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Him and Bear are ripping it up. Both later round picks, picked as defensively solid guys with low point totals. Both are 1 and 2 in scoring and 2 of 3 over ppg in whl. Both amongst highest in all of chl too

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Updates from WHL fans?

Looking at the scoresheet, he scored twice today. 24 points in his last 18 games

If I recall correctly, he looked very good in the pre-season as well and earned a lot of praise from the Leafs' coaching staff.

But these kinds of stats were obviously not expected.

Hunter was tasked with taking advantage of later round picks and may have done just that with Timashov and Nielsen.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If I recall correctly, he looked very good in the pre-season as well and earned a lot of praise from the Leafs' coaching staff.

But these kinds of stats were obviously not expected.

Hunter was tasked with taking advantage of later round picks and may have done just that with Timashov and Nielsen.

Yes he looked good in preseason. Notice I bumped this thread in post #2 about his play. He's not flashy so you really have to watch/observe him to have him grow on you. If you look at the video in one of my posts, he has a bomb for a shot. I would say this is his biggest offensive weapon. That and good decisions on moving the puck. He's a great example of being skilled, but not the obvious flash skills people often recognize more readily.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Yes he looked good in preseason. Notice I bumped this thread in post #2 about his play. He's not flashy so you really have to watch/observe him to have him grow on you. If you look at the video in one of my posts, he has a bomb for a shot. I would say this is his biggest offensive weapon. That and good decisions on moving the puck. He's a great example of being skilled, but not the obvious flash skills people often recognize more readily.

I've only had the chance to watch him play about three times this year so I'm hardly in a position to comment on his body of work, but his decision-making in the games that I've seen could result in him being an NHL defender down the road. I'm not comfortable naming what his potential in the NHL could be, but he's most definitely intriguing.

Good pick!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
As a Leaf fan, he's been a pleasant surprise so far, hope he keeps it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad